Reaction score
Credits
I have an old HCl me laptop to rescue,
Laptop specs:
Intel Pentium 4 g620 2.0 GHz
4 GB of ram
320 GB hard disk HDD

Please recommend me an OS that runs smoothly

(I'll mostly be using brave browser and zoom meetings applications)

That is a 64-bit CPU so you should be able to run just about any Linux that you want. It's a good idea to try at least 3 or 4 different Linux distros on a "live USB" to see how comfortable you are with them, and whether they make all the hardware work properly, like audio and wireless networking. My current favorite Linux is Zorin OS Lite, but I'd also recommend Linux Mint (any edition), Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu and MX-Linux. But your decision is really about what YOU like, not what we like. Good luck!

It has a base end 64 bit processor and is now about 10 years old, although it will run almost any distributions, I would be inclined to look at those with lightweight desktops [XFCE/KED/LXDE/LXQT]
I personally like MX-linux but it more a business distro, for more general use take a look at linux lite ,Lubuntu. and Antix.

Bwiz

Last edited:
Intel says it's 2.6 GHz, by the way.

That's slightly better. It's a dual-core, single thread each, CPU. It'll run anything without a bloated desktop environment well enough. Multitasking with Zoom open may be a problem.

Puppy, Dog Linux, Devuan, and Mint and MXLinux.

These threads often get bombarded with everyone's recommendations which of course is understandable - there is a lot of distros to cherry pick through - best advice given here boot up in a live environment and see what you like most and what works best with your hardware.

Thanks to everyone who has suggested their ideas but I kinda wanna Try MX Linux
Should I go with it
And also by the way I've already tried zorin OS lite, Linux mint ,etc.
But I just wanna know that ,is MX Linux a good choice?
Also I tried to install Ubuntu and I keep getting 'grub installer failed'

Any idea what was even that

Last edited:
MX Linux a good choice?
MX Linux is based on Debian. If you want to install Zoom in it, choose Debian installation from the Zoom website.
'grub installer failed'

Last edited:
MX Linux is a great choice. Running on an HP Laptop and a Frankenstein box I built. No issues. Good looking distro.

But I just wanna know that ,is MX Linux a good choice?
It takes a little more time to get use to than some of the others, and as I said leans more towards business use, is it any good ? well I have been running it on a 10 yr old dell intel duel core With absolutely no problems
desktop shot here..www.linux.org/threads/post-a-screenshot-of-your-desktop.124/page-19#post-124227

Bwiz

It takes a little more time to get use to than some of the others, and as I said leans more towards business use, is it any good ? well I have been running it on a 10 yr old dell intel duel core With absolutely no problems
desktop shot here..www.linux.org/threads/post-a-screenshot-of-your-desktop.124/page-19#post-124227

Bwiz
Thanks

hey , I just wanna know that according to my given specs , which distro runs better, MX Linux or Zorin OS lite

personal opinion... zorin may run a little faster MX is a bit more mature and better looking,
download both iso's and try them both live, what pleases one wont necessarily please another [one of the many advantages of Linux is your choice]

hey , I just wanna know that according to my given specs , which distro runs better, MX Linux or Zorin OS lite
We don't have your computer... we can't answer that. This is why we suggest you try them yourself to determine the answer. Plus, terms like "better" or "best" may not mean the same thing to you as it does for us. You have already tried some, now try MX-Linux to compare.

Hey I tried to install zorin but it gets froze suddenly while the installation
I tried 3 times and it's always getting froze
Also sometimes the installer gets crashed
Any ideas what's happening

Last edited:
sounds like a bad download/burn of the iso..

Hey I tried to install zorin but it gets froze suddenly while the installation
I tried 3 times and it's always getting froze
Also sometimes the installer gets crashed
Any ideas what's happening
At what stage does it freeze or crash? Do you get any errors? Did it run okay in "live mode" before you tried to install it?

It stopped while copying files
But it's all okay now
I got the exact solution at askubuntu.com
Thanks for your attention

Members online