"Operation System not found" message on Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop

leftiealex

Reaction score
Credits
trying to load Kubuntu on brand new Sandisk 64 GB external USB stick with burned image from Balena Etcher, picked USB storage device through boot menu, greeted with that message

G'day Alex, Welcome to Linux.org

That means exactly what it says. There is no operating system found on whatever you booted to.

What are the specs of your laptop/?

Are you trying to install kubuntu onto your laptop?.....or have I misinterpreted your question?

G'day Alex, Welcome to Linux.org

That means exactly what it says. There is no operating system found on whatever you booted to.

What are the specs of your laptop/?

Are you trying to install kubuntu onto your laptop?.....or have I misinterpreted your question?
It's this computer but with no OS, just a blank hard drive inside, and I am trying to boot off the Kubuntu image on the USB stick to install that.

so yes, I am trying to install Kubuntu, but it isn't booting off the USB stick to allow me to install it to the hard drive.

There are two possibilities...maybe three

1. There is nothing on the usb stick. ****

2. You are not booting from that usb stick. This needs to be specific.
How to Enable USB Boot Option on Dell Inspiron N5010 1.Restart the computer and press f2 while starting up. This enters the setup program. 2.Select the Boot tab and change to Legacy Boot, Secure Boot Off. After restarting, this shows the boot sequence and the order can be changed using +/- keys. 3.I then change the boot order to. CD/DVD. USB drive. Hard drive. To specify the boot sequence: /Start the computer and press ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10 during the initial startup screen. ... /Choose to enter BIOS setup. ... Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab. ... /To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list.
This from :

3.If anyone here has a Dell (@wizardfromoz may be of help, here)......they will surely know the procedure

I think "press f2" should be "press f12" (in post #4) to get the boot menu, no?

There are two possibilities...maybe three

1. There is nothing on the usb stick. ****

2. You are not booting from that usb stick. This needs to be specific.
How to Enable USB Boot Option on Dell Inspiron N5010 1.Restart the computer and press f2 while starting up. This enters the setup program. 2.Select the Boot tab and change to Legacy Boot, Secure Boot Off. After restarting, this shows the boot sequence and the order can be changed using +/- keys. 3.I then change the boot order to. CD/DVD. USB drive. Hard drive. To specify the boot sequence: /Start the computer and press ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10 during the initial startup screen. ... /Choose to enter BIOS setup. ... Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab. ... /To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list.
This from :

3.If anyone here has a Dell (@wizardfromoz may be of help, here)......they will surely know the procedure
there's definitely something on the USB stick as I have run Balena etcher multiple times on the stick with the same result.

I do not have a legacy boot option listed anywhere in the setup options, but the USB stick is the default boot option that I have set through the BIOS.

I am not sure what the stick is supposed to look like, as I have never done anything like this before, so what is the drive supposed to look like directly after burning? maybe my computer is doing something goofy.

it doesn't matter as I can access the setup menu from within the boot menu, so I can press f12 on boot and still navigate to the same place as if I had pressed f2.

Is there a place there to disable Secure Boot ...or words similar to that

you can always just plug your usb in and double click on it....it should have something similar to the pic below on it.

1678334596820.png

you can always just plug your usb in and double click on it....it should have something similar to the pic below on it.

View attachment 15265
...that is very different from mine.

Plugging it into a windows 11 computer to try to read it results in it telling me it needs to be formatted to access it, and if I try to format it, it tells me it is write protected. I got a different error at one point where it told me that it doesn't contain a recognized file system and that the volume may be corrupted.

i'm inclined to believe that last part at this point. but I'm not sure how to fix it if I can't format it or write to it in any way.

I briefly googled it and tried to use diskpart to change the registry but it was registered as read and write permissions, despite what the error message tells me. it also recommended using the company's software to repair it but their software didn't have any restoring methods, only encryption services.

if you have altered anything, in any way, on that usb.....burn it again

In fact play safe. Just 'burn' it again using etcher.

There is no need to format.....it should be either fat32 or ext4
etcher will install/burn straight over the top of whatever is there

windows has no clue what is on something belonging to Linux.

Make sure your kubuntu download is coming from a reliable source.

format the usb stick to ext4

Let Etcher do the rest

I've tried burning it like that several times with my file and the one you linked, and it is still giving me the same result. even switching it up to Ubuntu just in case both files were somehow getting messed up didn't help.

also, how do I format it to ext4 when I can't write to it?

Burning an ISO to a Flash Drive is very easy...download the ISO and burn it with Etcher.

Re-Boot your computer while tapping the F12 key (mine is F12)...this brings up the Boot Menu...scowl down the list and select your Flash Drive and hit Enter...your computer will boot to the ISO.
m1212.gif

You don't need to format the Flash Drive either.
m1213.gif

If it is not booting from the USB installation pen-drive then the main causes are,
A bad burn of the iso to the pen drive [ did you check the SHA sum]?
Not burning the download as a bootable ISO drive
Corrupt download of the ISO
Downloading the wrong version of the distribution [E.G. downloading ARM compliant instead of AMD-86]
Pen-drive failing [and yes they do ] use a good quality branded Pen-drive preferably between 8 and 32 gb

see my how do I guide [link below]

Del are just about the simplest machines to install Linux on, if it was built for Wind 8/10/11 you must disable windows quick-start [fast-boot] and re-start before you attempt to install Linux

Yes and no - it brings up the Boot Menu, but Brian was talking about looking for Legacy and that option is in the BIOS Setup Utility, which is accessed typically through F2.

Wiz

Back tomorrow.

Brian was talking about looking for Legacy and that option
We don't know the age of the machine, but if it's a post 2010 Del it should be EUFI , so yes F12

I've tried burning it like that several times with my file and the one you linked, and it is still giving me the same result. even switching it up to Ubuntu just in case both files were somehow getting messed up didn't help.

also, how do I format it to ext4 when I can't write to it?
As the next step I would try to boot an other PC with this USB-Drive ... probably the one with etcher on it. This should be the easiest way to further locate the issue - is it the flashdrive or the notebook.

You don't have to worry about messing up your Windows, as long as you don't start the installation process. You even can shut down the PC after you see the first Kubuntu/Ubuntu dialogue, because this means your USB-Drive has been found and is starting to boot.

Members online

Latest posts