OpenSUSE Leap 15.1/Tumbleweed can't boot from a bootable flash-drive

gongalov

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, guys,

Last month I bought a new laptop ASUS TUF Gaming FX705GT with a Ryzen 7 3750 and nVIDIA GTX 1650 and RTL8821CE wireless network adapter. I want to install on it linux - opensuse in ideal case or, if not, something beginner-friendly like kubuntu or linux mint. But things went wrong. I created a bootable flash-drive of opensuse leap 15.1 and when tried to boot from it, I can't go farther than that screen. I wrote about this in opensuse forums and was told to try tumbleweed or even 15.2 alfa, but the case is the same with tumbleweed. Someone told me to disable Secure Boot, I checked, it was disabled by default in BIOS, and that changed nothing.
Can anyone advise me what to do to install opensuse on this laptop, please.

What was used to generate your boot media? Can you test the boot media in hyper-visor; like vmware or virtualbox? Have you checked to make sure that USB is a bootable device in your BIOS?

I used Rufus in Win 10 x64. The USB is bootable, tested it several times with other distros - ubuntu, kubuntu, mint, zorin, fedora, opensuse's image is bootable too, installed from same usb flash drive on my desktop PC without any problems.

I understand that the usb media a valid boot device and that the opensuse iso is bootable. That does not mean that the usb with the opensuse iso is bootable. Once I needed to boot from an older version of Redhat, I created my bootable usb as usual but I could not get the usb to boot on any device but the iso would boot if mounted to a vm as cd/dvd. The opensuse iso may not support the boot media, it may not have the correct files in the boot folder to support usb. Perhaps writing the iso to a dvd and boot from that if possible.

Did you burn it in iso mode, or dd mode.
Many distro's won't boot from a iso filesystem.

I burn it in iso mode that is recommended by Rufus. And I'm sure openSUSE iso supports usb boot media, as I have installed it many times from a USB drive. It's several years since I don't use a cd/dvd burner and I don't have one on my desktop PC and on the new laptop. So it's not the first time I install an OS from USB burned with Rufus and I'm sure the image is bootable and the USB drive also is bootable.

Rufus is fine. Iso mode isnt for all Linux distros.

I wrote the image with Etcher and now I have a fully working Tumbleweed on my laptop. If you have problems with rtl8821ce wifi driver in openSUSE, use the one from Sauerland, it worked for me.

That's great news, @gongalov :)

Enjoy your Linux, and if you get the time (with your explorations of Tumbleweed), slip on over to Member Introductions, and tell us a little of the Gongalov story and meet a few more the Gang :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts