[Solved] Opensuse 15.2 - A bug-filled mess

geno11x11

Reaction score
Credits
OpenSuse Server:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Motherboard
Realtek RTL8111E LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit

About 10 days ago I started what I thought would be a simple project: Upgrade my old and dependable Opensuse 11.4 file server NOS to the current 15.2 version. The install had a few rough spots having to do with network connection to the Internet that prevented repositories from downloading. Little did I know at the time that it was a premonition of greater problems yet to come.

IPV4 Network settings are basic. Configuring a static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and dns gets you on your network and the Internet. In my experience, it works with everything every time, but not OpenSuse 15.2. I toggled back and forth between Wicked and NetworkManager to get some connectivity - one provided LAN connectivity while denying an external connection to the Internet - they seemed to work in opposites and neither would provide both. It's maddening.

Samba is straightforward, but it failed to provide the OpenSuse hostname to NetBios. How does one map a share to a windows machine without the host appearing on the network? I can manually enter the path and then navigate to the Samba shares and subdirectories, but it's certainly not to standard.

Of course, I tested the router and tried other Windows machines to isolate the source of the problems - It's definitely isolated to the OpenSuse 15.2 server. I have searched forums and other online resources trying every suggestion offered up. But the settings do not have the expected results. Sometimes the changes "take", sometimes not. Bottom line: I've wasted countless hours on this bug-filled mess of an NOS with no joy.

So I plugged in the old system drive with OpenSuse 11.4 and booted up. By golly, everything works. I made network configuration changes and they immediately provide the desired results which proves the hardware is not at issue. The NetBios hostname and shares appear on workstations, I get reliable connection to the LAN and Internet, pings reply from all hosts. No surprises at all and 100% operability.

So why post this thread? Of course there is the possibility I have missed something. Perhaps someone out there had a similar experienced and knows of a fix. But my main purpose is to warn OpenSuse users out there not to waste their valuable time on this release. Perhaps an earlier version is solid - I'd like to hear from anyone with a recommendation.

G'day @geno11x11 and welcome to linux.org :):)

What an interesting dilemma and thank you very much for sharing.

So I take it from your second-last paragraph that you are OK for now? If we have any Members using OpenSuse Server, I expect they will pop in with comment.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Update on OpenSuse 15.2.

About a week after I posted this message, a pop-up indicated I had a collection of system updates waiting. After they finished installing, I rebooted and received several Samba errors that had not previously displayed. With a little online research, they were simple fixes, and afterwards the previously listed problems went away. I've been happily using my server now for 2 weeks and it has been reliable.

20/20 hindsight: Check for package updates soon after a fresh OS installation.

Nice work, glad to hear it :)

Wiz

Members online