Online Banking says I should update to latest browser (Firefox)

MrBlack

Reaction score
Credits
I run LMDE4 I really like however I'm an EX windows user and I don't like to fiddle like in the past. Therefore If someone could give me simple and clear instructions on how to install the latest firefox over 78.10.1esr (64bit) I have installed currently. Please no instructions or suggestions for Flatpaks or any other pre-packaged software. My sincere thanks :)

Well it IS much easier if you do use a distro that supports newer versions.

My distro is curreently on Firefox 88.1 so you are about 10 versions behind.

However if you don't like this...

You can do it this way...

you are about 10 versions behind
ESR versions follow a different version numbering. 78.10.1esr is the latest Windows Enterprise version, so it's not surprising the OP has that version from Debian (LMDE). I didn't quickly find the Linux version. As far as I know, Debian has always provided ESR Firefox, at least in recent years.

[EDIT] This page explains why Mozilla produces ESR versions.

Last edited:
LMDE4 uses Firefox ESR and yes it's an older version however Firefox ESR receives current security updates so it is secure.

If you decide to go to Firefox 88.0.1 check Synaptic and make certain that it is available.

If it is than remove the existing Firefox ESR version first before installing Firefox 88.0.1 to avoid any possible conflicts between the two.

Regular Firefox should be available in LMDE. Try 'sudo apt install firefox' and see what it spits out.

Regular Firefox should be available in LMDE. Try 'sudo apt install firefox' and see what it spits out.
I'm not so sure... the LMDE repos only show the ESR version (and other languages). I'd watch the apt install response carefully to check the version before typing "Y" to accept it.

I checked on my LMDE and it's there. That's how I checked.

Lemme double check something else.

Yeah, I have no other sources that'd show it.

Selection_142.png

I'm missing it? Where is version 88, or now at 89.0 as of yesterday or today?

Mine says 88.0.1.

Selection_143.png

I checked and I haven't added any special Mozilla repositories. I do have added repos, but none of them have to do with Firefox or Mozilla.

So, I am assuming (with the penalties that incurs) that it's available in a stock LMDE4 installation.

I have no idea why your results are different. Ain't gotta clue.

I have no idea why your results are different. Ain't gotta clue.
Same here! ;) I have no idea. Debian typically ships Firefox ESR as far as I know, and of course LMDE is based on Debian instead of Ubuntu. ESR is what the OP reports having and wanting to change in his LMDE. As you say, sudo apt install firefox and see what it spits out. Just a caution to read it carefully before typing 'Y' to accept.

Oddly, 'apt-cache search firefox-esr' gives me no helpful results. That should be the installation name for Firefox-ESR (in my experience).

I don't *think* I did anything to alter it. It's just a bog standard LMDE4 install.

The LMDE repos I linked to above shows 'firefox' as '78.10.1esr~linuxmint1+debbie'

That's what makes me think sudo apt install firefox would point to that file. But I really don't know either. Maybe I'll spin up a LMDE VM to see if mine is any different from yours, but I don't really have any reason to think it will, or won't.

I don't *think* I did anything to alter it.
Seems so, David. No biggie. LMDE 4 (after update) has this below. The live ISO and base install before update was 68.6.0esr. Running sudo apt install firefox reports that 78.10.1esr is the latest version. I haven't run LMDE for awhile... I like it. :)
ff2.png

LMDE4 uses Firefox ESR and yes it's an older version however Firefox ESR receives current security updates so it is secure.

Probably true,
However on my company website, we don't check ESR versions. (I'm not in charge of the website)
We simply check the browser version. We don't allow older browsers whether they have security updates or not.

@KGIII & @stan
I agree with both of you two, my Mint20 [ubuntu] is operating FF 88-0-1 and my test box mint lmde4 was shipped with ESR,
I have used ESR on several sites , occasionally I get an update browser message but have never been blocked
Bwiz

Members online

Latest posts