On Linux mint cinnamon is Etcher worth installing

I recomend etcher for those starting out with broken windows or a big mac, As I have mint on one of my drives I much prefer to use the installed usb formatter and usb writer for my install jobs

Just try different ones and see which one works and you like best. Are you planning to create a usb flash drive installation media from Windows or Linux?

Try these and see what you think of them.
You can use any software like Unetbootin, Gnome Disk Utility, Yumi Multi Boot, xboot, Live USB Creator, etc. to create bootable USB with the help of ISO image file.

Etcher is a fine tool and you can download it as an appimage so you need not install it on the system.
But Mint's USB writer is simple and does the same thing very well. I have the Etcher appimage and run it from there when I want. But if you use the installed writer it is sufficient for most burning.

Last edited:
I'd avoid Unetbootin for the time being. Well, for the past year or so.

But, the only reason to install it is if you're going to use it often. How often are you planning on making bootable USBs? If it's not that often, maybe consider the AppImage. However, it's fairly small and won't take up much in the way of resources just sitting there not running. So, you won't hurt anything by installing it.

I'd avoid Unetbootin for the time being. Well, for the past year or so.
Yes agreed, it has been giving a lot of people problems from all the topics I have found on it.

Members online