Old Toshiba Tecra S1: Which Distro If Any?

O

Overload

Hi. I have been interested in learning Linux for a long time now, checking out the boards, watching videos, and even using a Live CD of Mint for diagnostic purposes. Yes, I am a neophyte through and through when it comes to Linux but now I want to learn. (I understand hardware well; I build my own PC systems)

The reason for my post is that I received this old Toshiba laptop from my sister in 2008 where she kept it in her closet for a year after being given away by her company. From what have researched this model was offered in the first half of the 2000s. It was used hard which was evident by the myriad of user accounts I cleaned off. I had put it away and left it be after doing upgrades but it was so slow with the wifi connection. I was about to just part it out when it came to me that perhaps it could run Linux.

Here is the hardware:
1. Pentium M 1.4 GHz
2. Two gigs of PC 2100 memory @ 133 MHz -- I installed
3. 120 gig hard drive -- I installed; currently running XP Pro that I migrated off the original Hitache 40 gig hard drive
4. ATI Radeon 9000 4x AGP
5. Latest and last BIOS from 2005 -- I updated
6. Atheros a/b wifi - Will this be a main problem?

Would love to hear your thoughts and what Distro recommendations you think as a newbie I should consider. I have looked at Puppy Linux but was wondering if there are other offerings I should look into.

Thanks much.

Maybe try Ubuntu X version I believe it also is a boot image you can try without installing. I like this version as it runs xfce as the window manager and is easier on system resources...but it should run well with 2 gigs ram. I am unsure if the wifi will be a problem. Here is a link that lists drivers needed for both PCI and USB. I did see a PCI card that does a/b/g so it probably won't be an issue if the correct driver is used. Good luck and have fun for heavens sake.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/atheros

Thanks much guys for your answers. it is much appreciated you took the time to read and answer. I did find out that my particular Pentium M is non-PAE so I need a Distro that can work within its limitations.

I am in the process of researching your suggestions.

Looking into anti-X MX-14.4 non-PAE Symbiosis and it seems very promising and it works on old systems well.

Thanks for the link.

I installed anti-X MX-14.4 Symbiosis for non-PAE systems and I must tell you it is nice! My system is so much more responsive. Of course I have a lot to learn but I can connect to the internet and this old system that I thought I would be parting out has a new life. More reading ahead... Thanks everyone.

Staff online

Members online