official lmde 5 release

Leonardo_B

Reaction score
Credits
well the official LMDE 5 is out on the linux mint sit after a week of approval. Earthier way it did not work for me . If any one want to check it out it on their website now .

What doesn't work I just download LMDE5 from the Linux Mint website created a bootable usb and booted it as a Live CD/DVD.

I don't care for Linux Mint so I didn't try to install it.

No offense intended Linux Mint fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bartman -- ditto on the Mint thing!

Since you got it running, compare LMDE5 with a Debian-based distro of your choice* -- a review -- if you would, please!

* which distro have you gone with, out of curiosity?

well the official LMDE 5 is out on the linux mint sit after a week of approval. Earthier way it did not work for me . If any one want to check it out it on their website now .

Release notes

Review.

I used etcher to create my bootable usb.
I got it to boot into a Live CD and that was as far as I went.
Seems to have some issues according to Linux Mint forums.

Peppermint OS and MX 21 are my choice over LMDE 5 because I prefer Xfce DE over Cinnamon DE.

I sure LMDE 5 is as good as previous LMDE versions.
I was curious what @Leonardo_B meant "it did not work for me".

Peppermint OS and MX 21 are my choice over LMDE 5 because I prefer Xfce DE over Cinnamon DE.
Peppermint is a good alternative, but you can always change the desktop in LMDE to XFCE once installed, [that's what I did on the test rig for LMDE4]
I have just downloaded LMDE5 and will try it on a test rig [64 bit] and a netbook [32 bit] over the neat few days and let you know if it has any problems.

Downloading LMDE 5 will give it a spin today at some point.

OK. So run test installation on both my 32bit netbook and my 21yr old 32 bit travel mate, both just scrape minimum performance requirements, LMDE5 on both machines loaded fine although slowly, and works without issue. Not as fast as MX-32 or Peppermint 10 respin but it does work.
here is the inxi on the 21 yr old laptop
eepthought:~$ inxi -Fnx
System:
Host: deepthought Kernel: 5.10.0-12-686 i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc
v: 10.2.1 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 Distro: LMDE 5 Elsie
base: Debian 11.2 bullseye
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Acer product: TravelMate 2410 v: 0100
serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: Acer model: Morar v: Rev serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Phoenix
v: 1.07 date: 09/26/2005
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0.0 Wh condition: 11.3/77.0 Wh (15%)
model: Acer Bat 8Cell status: Charging
CPU:
Info: Single Core model: Intel Celeron M bits: 32 type: MCP arch: M Dothan
rev: 8 L2 cache: 1024 KiB
flags: pae sse sse2 bogomips: 2992
Speed: 1496 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 1496
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics
vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: intel
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.4 Mesa 20.3.5
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW AC97 Audio
vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI Realtek ALC 655 codec driver: snd_intel8x0
v: kernel bus ID: 00:1e.2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-12-686
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: 3000
bus ID: 06:07.0
IF: enp6s7 state: down mac: 00:0a:e4:e9:33:7f
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR2417 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5007G
802.11bg]
vendor: Belkin F5D7010 v8000 driver: ath5k v: kernel port: 3000
bus ID: 07:00.0
IF: wlp7s0 state: up mac: 00:17:3f:f9:30:28
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 37.26 GiB used: 5.59 GiB (15.0%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9402113A size: 37.26 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 34.36 GiB used: 5.59 GiB (16.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 2 GiB used: 2.3 MiB (0.1%)
dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 68.0 C mobo: 46.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 174 Uptime: 24m Memory: 1.96 GiB used: 1.18 GiB (60.5%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1958
Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.01

My only Mint on bare metal is LMDE 5. I will have to look into it.

I'll have to figure out the upgrade path, if there is one. I pretty much despise having to do a clean install to upgrade. I didn't even like it when I had to do it with Lubuntu - and put it off until one week of the final deadline.

Okay everyone even though I don't care for Cinnamon DE I went ahead and installed LMDE 5 onto bare metal and it does run well.

I need to do a few system tweaks and tuning and remove some default software I will say that LMDE 5 is as good as it's previous releases.

Guess I'll run it for a bit and see how it tickles my fancy. ;)

I wish these developers would just release a base distro and let the user choose and install the software the user wants and needs.

Guess you take it the way it comes huh. ;)

Okay everyone even though I don't care for Cinnamon DE I went ahead and installed LMDE 5 onto bare metal and it does run well.

I need to do a few system tweaks and tuning and remove some default software I will say that LMDE 5 is as good as it's previous releases.

Guess I'll run it for a bit and see how it tickles my fancy. ;)

I wish these developers would just release a base distro and let the user choose and install the software the user wants and needs.

I might get it another shot in expert-mode. my only problem is installing it . get where you coming from . I to think they need a base distro with no desktop and i add the desktop i want /programs. even tho i like xfce for most of my machines. I do not want xfce on all . I would not mind a 100% working awsome wm. sadly the Synaptic Package Manager does not work when I try to make awsome wm work in linux mint
put this script in your terminal it will remove most un needed programs

Last edited:
put this script in your terminal it will remove most un needed programs

I've found it best to remove unwanted default software one piece at a time using Synaptic Package Manger.

Using scripts as above can sometimes remove needed dependencies which are necessary for other software to run properly.

Some necessary dependencies are shared with other default software so caution is advised when removing default software.

. . .

This is why, at the time, I preferred peppermint. I could make it how I wanted it.
AntiX has a Base install option, and MIYO is all "Making It Your Own" (see Devuan)

hi i am new to this Linux how do i download it to my USB

hi i am new to this Linux how do i download it to my USB

This post is about LMDE, a type of Linux.

To ask your question, post a new question in the appropriate section. (Getting Started is where you'd post a question like that.)

Update, 64 bit runs fine on my HP ProDesk

This is why, at the time, I preferred peppermint. I could make it how I wanted it.
AntiX has a Base install option, and MIYO is all "Making It Your Own" (see Devuan)
I still prefer any distro which offers a base install to get started so the user can choose what to install.

AntiX has a Base install option,
Actually Antix base comes with quite a bit of default software which I'll never use so I always go for the core ISO.

and MIYO is all "Making It Your Own" (see Devuan)
I'll have to get over there and have a gander at Devuan "Make It Your Own" sounds pretty neat.

A private project apparently

I've found it best to remove unwanted default software one piece at a time using Synaptic Package Manger.

Using scripts as above can sometimes remove needed dependencies which are necessary for other software to run properly.

Some necessary dependencies are shared with other default software so caution is advised when removing default software.
been useing it for a while now it has given me no problems . but i still have Synaptic Package Manger for a few package that left over snice this script is meant for a older linux mint version

Staff online

Members online