Nvidia is going to make CPUs

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
There have been rumors in the past. It looks like it's finally happening.

I didn't care for Nvidia when I used Windows and still don't care for Nvidia these days.

Nvidia does have some nice graphics cards however Nvidia's quirky graphics drivers is the deal killer for me.

It looks like they'll be aiming mostly at HPC, so we'll see if it trickles down to regular systems.

I don't mind Nvidia, but I often don't bother with dedicated graphics or just use the opensource drivers.

I don't mind Nvidia, but I often don't bother with dedicated graphics or just use the opensource drivers.
I've had some problems with Nvidia graphics drivers even in Windows so yeah Nvidia graphics drivers can be quirky sometimes.

I've had some problems with Nvidia graphics drivers even in Windows so yeah Nvidia graphics drivers can be quirky sometimes.

LOL By that measure, all hardware can be a bit quirky sometimes!

I've had pretty good luck with hardware, and not by any great effort. The new laptop that I bought? Everything just works right out of the gate. Even the laptop's wireless didn't require any special drivers. They included an RJ45 to USB adapter and it's still in its plastic pouch.

Though if I'm shopping for something like a wireless adapter, I always make sure it says it works with Linux. So, I could have plugged in any number of adapters and had it work, but it just plain worked out of the box. I didn't even bother booting to Windows for anything. It booted directly to the USB by default, everything seemed to be working, so I clicked install. I didn't invest even a minute looking to see if it worked with Linux ahead of time.

I've had more problems with Nvidia proprietary graphics drivers with Linux than I've ever had with any Windows OS.

When I use Linux and Nvidia I'm always going to go with the Nouveau open source graphics driver.

I think it was you who mentioned trying the opensource drivers the other day?

I too do that, most of the time. I actually have the proprietary drivers installed on this particular computer but that's because I had to test something. Not being a gamer means I really don't care. With the proprietary drivers, I use HA for some apps and that pushes off some of the load. So, there's that.

Entirely unrelated...

Every time I use Namecheap, they send me a security warning by email. However, they never send it fast enough. The warning always comes well after I've already done what I needed to do.

I think it was you who mentioned trying the opensource drivers the other day?

I too do that, most of the time.
It's possible and if so probably in this post #17 of this thread about Wayland.

I actually have the proprietary drivers installed on this particular computer but that's because I had to test something. Not being a gamer means I really don't care. With the proprietary drivers, I use HA for some apps and that pushes off some of the load. So, there's that.
I'm not a purest however I like to stick with open source software on Linux as I feel propriatary software somewhat defeats part of the reason for using Linux.

Entirely unrelated...

Every time I use Name cheap, they send me a security warning by email. However, they never send it fast enough. The warning always comes well after I've already done what I needed to do.
Don't know anything about Namecheap.

I'm not a purest however I like to stick with open source software on Linux as I feel propriatary software somewhat defeats part of the reason for using Linux.

I'm a "whatever works" kinda person.

And Namecheap is where I register domain names. I've gotta migrate the current site because Google hates .gq domain names and Google's got clout on the 'net.

I'm a "whatever works" kinda person.

And Namecheap is where I register domain names. I've gotta migrate the current site because Google hates .gq domain names and Google's got clout on the 'net.
i had a couple of domains with namecheap can't remember exactly but something put me off them , i think re-newal price jumped. I've shifted to ionos.co.uk and so far so good

Members online

Latest posts