NVIDIA GT 750M black screen

A

Azelk

I've been attempting to resolve this issue for days, with no success. I'm fairly new to linux. I don't know anything about reinstalling the kernel (Although it sounds easy from what I've read). The window manager I'm currently using is KDE. I installed the nvidia drivers with pacman -S nvidia, then tried using startx. The screen goes black and my GPU fan comes on at full speed, then the laptop reboots after a few seconds. I also tried installing the proprietary drivers from NVIDIA's website with the same results. I've tried using nvidia-xconfig and bumblebee. The Xorg.0 log file has the entry
Code:
Screens found, but none have a valid configuration
or something similar to that.

I would have posted this on the Arch Linux forum but the verification is seemingly impossible in my state.

You say laptop..so does this system have an Intel graphics card along with the Nvidia chip? If so the issue is Optimus which can very easily fixed.
To find out:
Code:
 lspci | grep -i --color 'VGA'

P.S. Not trying to be mean or anything but if you are new to Linux you should try a more user friendly system. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Manjaro, Mint, a few others are easier for new users.

You say laptop..so does this system have an Intel graphics card along with the Nvidia chip? If so the issue is Optimus which can very easily fixed.
To find out:
Code:
 lspci | grep -i --color 'VGA'

The result is
Code:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] (rev a1)

Last edited:
Okay then. This is what I would do:
1. reinstall the base Arch system.
2. install KDE , nvidia, and (if 64bit) lib32-nvidia-libgl
3. after all that is installed enable kdm
Code:
sudo systemctl enable kdm.service
or without sudo if you are the root user
4. reboot
5. login via kdm.

Again though, you may want to use a more user friendly system. :)

Okay then. This is what I would do:
1. reinstall the base Arch system.
2. install KDE , nvidia, and (if 64bit)
3. after all that is installed enable kdm
Code:
sudo systemctl enable kdm.service
or without sudo if you are the root user
4. reboot
5. login via kdm.

Again though, you may want to use a more user friendly system. :)

I still get the same result.

I wiped the root partition, then used these commands:
Code:
pacstrap -i /mnt base (Reboot)
pacman -S kde nvidia
systemctl start kdm.service
What is the model of the laptop?

According to this post:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=164747

The issue may be the backlight being too low.

What I would try is using the backlight keys to try and up the brightness. If that does not work take a look at this file:
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

0 is lowest while 24 is highest.

Also, is there anything in the journal

Code:
journalctl -b
Code:
dmesg

and the file ~/.xsession-errors

and /var/log/Xorg.log

Would you mind booting up an Ubuntu live cd? If Ubuntu loads the desktop, take a look at the
'About this Computer' program in the top right menu. I still think your laptop has dual graphics.
about_this_computer_zps1902b149.png

Last edited:
Can You exactly guide what solved your problem ? I have Lenovo y510p laptop facing the same problem of getting the graphics fan running at a very high speed
after installing nvidia driver .A proper step by step guide would be very much helpful!@Azelk

Can u help? I'm frustrated with this issue...tried more than 7 times installing and removing driver... and feel like goin on without a proper display...i just want a proper guide now...tht will work at once @ryanvade

Can You exactly guide what solved your problem ? I have Lenovo y510p laptop facing the same problem of getting the graphics fan running at a very high speed
after installing nvidia driver .A proper step by step guide would be very much helpful!@Azelk
That's the same model I own. Try using this kernel parameter.
Code:
rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1

Members online

Latest posts