NTLDR is missing error message after Mint install

Jack Ray

Reaction score
Credits
I created a Linux Mint install CD several months ago, installed Linux and it worked.

A while back I tried to boot up and got the below:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ....
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+ALt+Del to restart

Ctrl+ALt+Del does nothing, have to turn it off

I used the same CD to re-install Mint today. It installed, said to reboot. I clicked OK, it said 'remove installation disk (media?)' and hit enter. I did, and it ended up displaying the same as above.

make sure that the hard disk is listed in BIOS boot sequence and is on top in its category.

Verifying DMI Pool Data ....
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+ALt+Del to restart

Hi @Jack Ray, and welcome. NTLDR is the Windows bootloader, so to me it sounds a lot like you have some leftover remnants from a previous Windows still on your hard drive. Or are you in a dual-boot situation? If you are not dual-booting, I would again do a full and complete install of Linux, and pay especial attention to the partitioning section... there you will tell it to "Use entire disk". But this will leave Linux only and should erase anything that Windows left, so do not do it if you are trying to dual-boot... if that is the case you will have to take more care with re-installing Linux. It may be too late though... if NTLDR is missing you may have already corrupted a Windows install.

Hi @Jack Ray, and welcome. NTLDR is the Windows bootloader, so to me it sounds a lot like you have some leftover remnants from a previous Windows still on your hard drive. Or are you in a dual-boot situation? If you are not dual-booting, I would again do a full and complete install of Linux, and pay especial attention to the partitioning section... there you will tell it to "Use entire disk". But this will leave Linux only and should erase anything that Windows left, so do not do it if you are trying to dual-boot... if that is the case you will have to take more care with re-installing Linux. It may be too late though... if NTLDR is missing you may have already corrupted a Windows install.

Thanks @atanere for your reply.

Machine did have Windows XP. Initial Mint install (several months ago) was successful, at least in that it would boot to Mint and I could use it. Not sure what I told during that install as far as "Use entire disk" was concerned. When Mint quit working I re-installed Mint - yesterday - and I told it to use the entire disk.

I am going to do the install again today. I will pay close attention to the partitioning section. Will post results.

Another part of the partitioning section (that isn't real obvious) is where the installer will put the Linux bootloader, called GRUB. The typical selection is that it should go in the MBR of /dev/sda.

If by chance you have two physical hard drives in that computer, that might also be a reason for it to throw the "missing NTLDR" error. Just a wild guess that this could be the case.

Hopefully another fresh install will work out the kinks. Good luck!

Another part of the partitioning section (that isn't real obvious) is where the installer will put the Linux bootloader, called GRUB. The typical selection is that it should go in the MBR of /dev/sda.

If by chance you have two physical hard drives in that computer, that might also be a reason for it to throw the "missing NTLDR" error. Just a wild guess that this could be the case.

Hopefully another fresh install will work out the links. Good luck!

@atanere when I got to the partitioning section, I changed it to clear off the 150Gig drive instead of the 74Gig drive it defaulted to. Then continued with install. It would not boot up after install, I am guessing (maybe?) it was trying to boot from 150G drive which is slave not master?
Anyway, ran the install again, clearing 74Gig drive this time, and it now boots to Linux.
I can see the 150Gig drive, I can't see the 74Gig drive. Did install possibly use entire 74Gig drive for Linux and I don't have autorization to 'see' the Linux install?

So your 'wild guess' about two drives appears to be relevant :^)...

I'm a little confused... not the first time! :D I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "you changed it to clear off the drive" during the installation process. I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "you can't see the 74G drive." But since you have a working Linux Mint now we can at least take some time to figure out where you're at. Let's first make sure that you actually have two physical drives (not partitions on the same drive).

Open your start menu and type disks, and then hit enter (or click on the menu item that appears) to open the Disks app that comes with Mint. Look at the list of Devices on the left. If there are two hard disks, click on each one separately so it is highlighted, then hold down the ALT key and then tap the PRT SCR key (up on the top row usually, to the right of the F-keys, and near the Pause/Break and Scroll Lock keys). This will let you save a screen capture of just the Disks app... so note where it says it will save it (or change the location if you want) and click Save. Do this for each drive if there are two. Then in your next reply, use the "Upload a File" button to post the screen captures here... both screen caps if you actually have two hard disks.

I guess this may be easier than using the command line to get the disk details, but we can do that instead if you have trouble making screen captures. This should tell us which drive your Linux is installed on and hopefully we'll figure out how to access the other drive so you can format it and use it for storage.

Cheers

I'm a little confused... not the first time! :D I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "you changed it to clear off the drive" during the installation process. I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "you can't see the 74G drive." But since you have a working Linux Mint now we can at least take some time to figure out where you're at. Let's first make sure that you actually have two physical drives (not partitions on the same drive).

Open your start menu and type disks, and then hit enter (or click on the menu item that appears) to open the Disks app that comes with Mint. Look at the list of Devices on the left. If there are two hard disks, click on each one separately so it is highlighted, then hold down the ALT key and then tap the PRT SCR key (up on the top row usually, to the right of the F-keys, and near the Pause/Break and Scroll Lock keys). This will let you save a screen capture of just the Disks app... so note where it says it will save it (or change the location if you want) and click Save. Do this for each drive if there are two. Then in your next reply, use the "Upload a File" button to post the screen captures here... both screen caps if you actually have two hard disks.

I guess this may be easier than using the command line to get the disk details, but we can do that instead if you have trouble making screen captures. This should tell us which drive your Linux is installed on and hopefully we'll figure out how to access the other drive so you can format it and use it for storage.

Cheers

Hey Jack, not sure if you meant to post the screen caps above, or any reply... but nothing came through. Let us know if you're having any trouble and we'll try to help you resolve it.

Cheers

Atanere,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here's what I did...
When you get to the "erase disk and install Linux Mint" at beginning of install
SCSI3 74.4 GB ATA (0,0,0) (sda)
SCSI4 150 GB ATA (0,0,0) (sdb)
it defaulted to the SCSI3 disk. I changed it to use SCSI4 (the 150Gig disk)
it came back with
the partition tables of SCSI4 are changed
following partitions are going to be formatted
partition #1 as ext4
partition #2 as swap
I said ok or whatever it was, it went thru the entire install, told me to remove installation disk and hit enter to reboot
I did, and it hung up.
I went back and did install again, but let it install on SCSI3. When thru I took out install disk and hit enter it rebooted.
Now, when I double-click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, I see floppy drive, cd drive, 74Gig drive
and 150Gig drive (and file system)
If I double-click on the 74Gig drive, I get "Unable to mount location. Can't mount file"
I can double-click on the 150Gig drive and see the folders.
Under Devices (left hand side of expqanded "My Computer', I see 150Gig drive, don't see 74Gig drive
I am hazarding a guess that I don't have permission to look at system disk or something like that...

Hey Jack! I'm also sorry for the delay... I've been out of town and just returned yesterday. Your situation still confuses me... it's not your fault as I'm following your installation steps above clearly. What is most confusing is that it seems your installation was successful on the smaller drive, but you are not able to "see" it and you can only see the larger drive... and that is kind of totally backwards, if anything. You should certainly see the files/folders on the drive that Linux is installed on. But let me expand the discussion a little further below.

You mentioned in post #8 above about a master/slave relationship with the drives.... do you know if you have them set as master/slave with the jumpers on the drives? It is usually better to have all drive jumpers set to "cable select" and let the operating system take care of everything from there. Your info above says these are both ATA drives, and the master/slave relationship can be picky with these drives. Besides setting the jumpers, if they are both on a single cable it is important as to which one is at the end of the cable (master) versus the middle connector (slave)... and even the cable is important and must support this relationship. If the drives are connected by separate cables, they should not be jumpered in a master/slave arrangement.... and should be cable select (preferred) or jumpered independently as single drives. This Seagate article explains it better. I don't think that Linux cares much about the master/slave relationship... but it may affect which drive your BIOS is able to boot.

Linux Mint is usually very good to show every device that you click or double-click on, and you don't usually need to enter the root password to access devices, even a Windows drive. So I tend to think that this is still more of an install problem than a permission problem, but I'm not sure. Your description above doesn't say which drive you installed the GRUB bootloader into, and I wonder if that might be a factor with this problem (as well as the NTLDR hint that you started this thread with, and as well as the hint about possible master/slave issues).

I'm trying to think of the best way for you to proceed (although others may have better ideas), but it may depend somewhat on how comfortable you are to open up your case and see what's going on with cables and jumpers. If your cable(s) and/or jumpers are misconfigured inside the case, then this should really be fixed first. From your descriptions, it seems that you prefer to use the larger 150 GB drive for Linux, but it fails to boot when you switch to it and go against the default for the smaller drive. I'll describe the steps below that I would take to make sure the large drive is used for Linux: (also, while the case is open is a good time for cleaning)

1. Remove power, open up the case and physically remove both hard drives. Take notes to record what you find:
a) One cable or two? (Check: Is this is a wide (about 2") ribbon cable? Slender cables are SATA.)
b) If a single cable, which drive (large or small) is at the end of the cable?
c) Jumper settings on each drive? (If SATA, they won't have jumpers.)
d) If two cables, which drive goes where on the motherboard? The motherboard sockets would mostly likely be marked as HDD 0 (zero) and HDD 1, but they could possibly be HDD 1 and HDD 2.

2. Set jumpers to Cable Select on both drives.

3. If just one wide cable, connect the larger drive to the end position. Position it in the drive bay to leave room for the smaller drive to be added later. If disconnected, reconnect the motherboard end of the cable into the HDD socket (using lowest number, 0 or 1, if there are more than one socket). Reconnect power to the drive.

4. If two cables, connect the larger drive to the lowest numbered motherboard socket, 0 or 1. Reconnect power to the drive. Do not connect the smaller drive yet.

5. Reconnect power to the case (you can leave the case open or partly open if you want... just be careful about it). Boot on the Linux Mint DVD and do a full installation. With only one hard drive installed (it will be sda now) you should be able to choose "Use entire disk" and accept the default install configurations for Mint. I suggest to NOT use LVM and to NOT encrypt your hard drive or home folder if you see any options for those.

6. When install is finished, remove the DVD, reboot and make sure it runs okay. Use it a little and reboot a few times to be sure all is well. Use your File Manager to make sure you can see your files and folders.

In the next phase, I will describe reinstalling the 2nd drive so you can use it for data storage... but I want to hold off typing too much in case you do not want to follow this first phase (and in case someone else has a better plan). I will just briefly say that that next phase entails putting the smaller drive back into the case, and again booting on the Mint DVD. The reason to boot on the DVD first is because the smaller drive may also contain a bootloader and I'd like to avoid confusion if it does. Booting on the DVD will let you run a program called Gparted which you can use to erase and format the smaller drive to make sure that it is all cleaned up. The smaller drive will become sdb when it it reinstalled, and Linux Mint should see both drives with the File Manager without any special steps.

Clear as mud? If you have any questions or reservations, please ask. We may could get everything working by booting on the DVD and erasing/formatting both drives... and then reinstalling Mint into the larger drive as sdb (the way it sees it now), but I think you should be sure about putting the bootloader on the same drive, and I'm not sure you did.

And maybe I'm missing something? There are lots of smart folks on here, so I'm ready to be corrected if I did miss something, or if someone has a better approach for you to take.

Cheers

Staff online

Members online