majorquattronut

Reaction score
Credits
Noob here. I'm in the process of leaving Windows for my Flight Simming. I have built a new rig with 4 drives, 3SSDs and 1 HDD (from old computer).
I currently have WIN10 on 1 SSD (that has my Windows FlightSim) and was planning on using the 2nd SSD for Nobara which will house my XP-plane Simulator(Linux version)
My question is..I formatted DRIVE2 in fat32 but have been told that I should use NTFS or exFAT for security, etc.
Will there be a problem sharing SCENERY files from the windows drive (NTFS) if I format it exFAT? I plan to use a Symbolic link (which is another whole question for later)
Thanks so much for any help!

If you are going to install Linux a different filesystem will be used, if you have external drives where you have copies of your games on those can be read if they are ntfs or fat32. But better option would be to install those games through either Proton or Lutris. How did you install your current games, through Steam, cd/dvd or through another launcher?
Looking at ProtonDB Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't do very well on Linux.
Also if you have special peripheral devices like rudders, control stick etc those also have very bad Linux support.

Welcome to the linux.org forums!

Last edited:
With drives formatted in FAT32 any files more than 4GB will present issues copying large files more than 4GB so its better to have drives formatted in NTFS or exFAT that purpose.

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you consider remaining with a Windows installation. (I mean, keep a computer or something else around that could boot into Windows, if you're determined to go on with Linux.) Because when an NTFS partition needs to be checked for errors there is nothing in Linux that could do anything about it, and the drive won't even be recognized. I had this happen to me a few days ago, on EndeavourOS (Arch Linux-based) and on Spiral Linux (Debian-based). As always if I'm wrong then correct me. :)

I would have liked to say there would be no need to change file systems, except for what I suffered. Everything was going fine as I had plugged in that same drive (SATA thingie plugged into USB v2.0 port) at least three or four times without problems and copied files in and out of it. However the light stopped working from it.

Symbolic links can be made without filesystem restrictions so just use whatever filesystems make sense. If symbolic links are enough to share the data across applications, that's all you need.

Don't use FAT32 though as it has a limit on file size and partition size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts