• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Notepad plus plus installed using winehq stable Fedora 36 can't display non ASCII characters.

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have pc with Intel i3 10th generation processor. I have installed Fedora 36 and windows 11. I have installed winehq stable and it's dependencies. After that I have installed notepad plus plus 7.4.5 x64 application successfully under Fedora 36.

The issue is notepad++ can't display non ASCII characters under Fedora 36 wine. But the same notepad++ is working properly under windows 11 ie., it is displaying all charecters properly.

Here non ASCII characters means the charecters from my indian speaking language Telugu.

Previously I have tried a number of ways to see whether it works I mean I have installed notepad plus plus under wine in debian 11.5, open suse tumbleweed, Arch Linux, manjoro Linux etc., and this particular notepad plus plus has not worked properly in all these ways.

The same notepad plus plus is working properly in windows 11.

Previously I mean 2 to 3 years back notepad plus plus worked without any errors installed through wine in open suse leap Linux.

Kindly try to suggest how to make notepad plus plus work properly in Fedora 36 Linux.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Stellaris

Reaction score
Credits
Hey Rupesh,
Can you provide the output of following command?

Code:
dnf search fonts-indic

And what is so important about Notepad++? You can get the same experience with Notepadqq and I'm pretty sure it's available on Fedora's repositories.

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Fedora doesnt use winehq by default. It really isn't needed for anything.

Here non ASCII characters means the charecters from my indian speaking language Telugu.

Linux depends on fonts and "locale" files. At the very least you will need the glibc-langpak-(language) installed for that language.

dnf search Telugu
Last metadata expiration check: 7:03:22 ago on Wed 16 Nov 2022 02:32:28 PM PST.
======================================= Name & Summary Matched: Telugu =======================================
google-noto-sans-telugu-fonts.noarch : Noto Sans Telugu font
google-noto-sans-telugu-ui-fonts.noarch : Noto Sans Telugu UI font
google-noto-sans-telugu-ui-vf-fonts.noarch : Noto Sans Telugu UI variable font
google-noto-sans-telugu-vf-fonts.noarch : Noto Sans Telugu variable font
google-noto-serif-telugu-fonts.noarch : Noto Serif Telugu font
google-noto-serif-telugu-vf-fonts.noarch : Noto Serif Telugu variable font
lohit-telugu-fonts.noarch : Free Telugu font
tesseract-script-telugu.noarch : Telugu script data for tesseract-tessdata
========================================== Summary Matched: Telugu ===========================================
aspell-te.x86_64 : GNU Aspell Telugu Dictionary Package
avogadro2-langpack-te.noarch : Telugu language data for avogadro2
glibc-langpack-te.x86_64 : Locale data for Telugu
hunspell-te.noarch : Telugu hunspell dictionaries
hyphen-te.noarch : Telugu hyphenation rules
langpacks-core-font-te.noarch : Telugu core font meta-package
langpacks-core-te.noarch : Telugu langpacks core meta-package
langpacks-te.noarch : Telugu langpacks meta-package
libreoffice-langpack-te.x86_64 : Telugu language pack for LibreOffice
pothana2000-fonts.noarch : Unicode compliant OpenType font for Telugu
tesseract-langpack-tel.noarch : Telugu language data for tesseract-tessdata
vemana2000-fonts.noarch : Unicode compliant OpenType font for Telugu

Notepadqq and I'm pretty sure it's available on Fedora's repositories.

I didn't see it, but the main reason people use it, is to convert line feeds/carriage returns between windows and Linux.
dos2unix will do this just as easy.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi previously I have installed fonts-indic package and there is no use but now I shall try to install packages related to Telugu and see whether notepad plus plus work.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
I am using notepad++ regularly and it has the following features

1) suppose a text file consists of 1000 lines and 200 of them are duplicates I can remove them using sorting and remove duplicates options present in notepad++.

2) suppose a text file consists of 1000 lines and I want to remove lines consisting of some text like "abcd" I can remove them easily by bookmarking lines and after that selecting remove bookmarked lines option present in notepad++.

3) suppose I want to remove first three characters of every line I can do it by replacing .{4}$ with empty.

All these things including a lot can be done in notepad++ itself. It can be done in Linux also but need thorough understanding of awk sed etc.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
I have installed notepadqq from Fedora official repositories but unfortunately it doesn't have all the features available in notepad plus plus such as

Sort lines lexicographically

Search and bookmark lines containing a word and after that remove lines etc.,.

But all characters including non ASCII characters are being displayed properly without installing any other packages like fonts-indic.

Stellaris

Reaction score
Credits
I have installed notepadqq from Fedora official repositories but unfortunately it doesn't have all the features available in notepad plus plus such as

Sort lines lexicographically

Search and bookmark lines containing a word and after that remove lines etc.,.

But all characters including non ASCII characters are being displayed properly without installing any other packages like fonts-indic.
So, that means Notepadqq works fine? that's strange.

Can you paste the output of this code?

Code:
cat /etc/locale.conf

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
In any case, I was able to install it with wine quite easily in Fedora 37.
But please do not use winehq with Fedora, it breaks wine.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-11-17 06-50-47.png
    Screenshot at 2022-11-17 06-50-47.png
    651.7 KB · Views: 15

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
All these things including a lot can be done in notepad++ itself. It can be done in Linux also but need thorough understanding of awk sed etc.

You could do some of it with awk and sed. However you could do it in vi or emacs as well.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Just to make OP aware...

This is Linux. There are a zillion text editors available. Surely you can find one with feature parity, should Notepad++ not end up working out for you.

This is just a drop in the bucket, including *only* those editors that have Wikipedia pages:

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
I think that some of the editors like atom, sublime are for programmers and so can I use those for text editing.

Can you suggest any editor which has the option to add plugins.

Stellaris

Reaction score
Credits
I think that some of the editors like atom, sublime are for programmers and so can I use those for text editing.

Can you suggest any editor which has the option to add plugins.
of course you can

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I have searched fonts in the cdrom of windows 11 and found a directory under boot and that too those files are not related to fonts.

After that in my windows 11 system I have found a directory under c:\windows and it contain some fonts and so I have copied these files to my Linux home directory ~/.wine/drives/c/windows/fonts.

I have installed again notepad plus plus but there's no use I mean this particular app can't display non ASCII characters.

Is there any way to install fonts using wine tricks tool. I have tried this also to install core fonts but it's taking upto 1 gb of download and so I have aborted.

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Wine helps for some things. But it doesn't make Linux do everything Windows does.
If Notepad++ is the main application you use, and no other editor works for you, then maybe Linux
isn't the OS you should use.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Wine helps for some things. But it doesn't make Linux do everything Windows does.
If Notepad++ is the main application you use, and no other editor works for you, then maybe Linux
isn't the OS you should use.
Sorry I am at the beginning stage in learning Linux and at present I am learning how to customise xwindows and Wayland and how to use a different window manager like blackbox for ede Equinox desktop environment etc.,.

It will take some time to explore all features of Linux.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online