Nohup and & were not able to keep my program running

srilinux09

Reaction score
Credits
hi all

RHEL

I want to run an program which takes 1-2 days.
I used nohup command & and then did exit also tried logout.
The program was executing for 4 hrs or so depends and then Terminating .
Please suggest what could cause this and how to make my program run with out terminating
Thanks
Sree

Did the power manager perhaps mung things up?

@rado84 "nohup" = don't hang up the dang phone 'till I'm done! (quite literally, actually)

Can you provide a little more information about the program you are trying to run? As things stand, there isn't enough specific information to be able to help you. All we'd be doing is blindly suggesting random things that might not even apply to your situation.

There are a large number of possibilities here.
The program could be crashing because of a bug, or a memory leak. Perhaps something in the environment isn't set up properly. Or perhaps the program is simply finishing a lot faster than you expected?
If the program is crashing - is it leaving any core-dumps behind? Or any entries in the system logs?

If so, take a look at those. That might offer some clue to the cause of the problem.

Or if the program in question has any logging capabilities, try running the program with logging enabled and see what the logs say.

Or when you run the program, redirect all output to a log file.

Without more detailed information about your specific situation, I don't think anybody can help you much more than that!

Members online