Nobara OS can't be booted after successfull installation

no1.halasz

Reaction score
Credits
H! I have just installed Nobara on my PC, because I've heard it is great for gaming and everyday tasks. I downloaded the .ISO file from the website and created a bootable usb stick with balena etcher, and booted the installer on my pc, the usual way. Everything worked out fine, I went through the installation process smoothly. I did manual partitioning, beacuse I have a secondary HDD for programs. I created a 600mb boot/efi partition, a swap and root partition, these are all on my main ssd, and then the home directory on my other drive, just like I always do with any other OS. When I finished the installation, it said that the OS has been installed and I can reboot now, but when I did that, the bootloader didn't see any Operating system installed and it tried to boot into nothing over and over again. I checked and the files did install successfully, because I could see them on the live preview. Any idea of what could be the problem or how to fix it?

Last edited:

G'day @no1.halasz and welcome to linux.org :)

Have a read of the following and I will come back in a few minutes.

https://www.linux.org/threads/issue...-cant-seem-to-get-rid-of-it.42506/post-173183

Did you install Official, GNOME or KDE?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Good day to you too! :D I installed the Official version.
Quick update tho, I tried the Legacy boot as well, and without manual partitioning it worked! But I really need that second drive for my files, because one ssd is quite small, so I am trying to figure out how to partition it correctly

I understand. Don't have any ideas currently, but I will download the Official flavour and use Etcher to install over my weekend.

If I come up with any ideas, I will let you know, but do consider the advice given by anyone else who comes by, in the meantime.

I COULD move this Thread to our Gaming subforum, because I know a couple of the Gamers have taken a look at it, they might have some ideas (one was that Garuda was better).

Let me know and I can do so.

For Helpers, Nobara is based on Fedora, and developed by a former Redhat employee.

You can Search with our Search facility for

nobara

to get an idea of what we have so far over the last 10 months since it was brought to our attention.

Cheers

Wizard

I understand. Don't have any ideas currently, but I will download the Official flavour and use Etcher to install over my weekend.

If I come up with any ideas, I will let you know, but do consider the advice given by anyone else who comes by, in the meantime.

I COULD move this Thread to our Gaming subforum, because I know a couple of the Gamers have taken a look at it, they might have some ideas (one was that Garuda was better).

Let me know and I can do so.

For Helpers, Nobara is based on Fedora, and developed by a former Redhat employee.

You can Search with our Search facility for

nobara

to get an idea of what we have so far over the last 10 months since it was brought to our attention.

Cheers

Wizard
Thank you, I would really aprecciate that!

Moved to our Gaming subforum.

Wizard

I have the same issue, it seems that the installer fails to setup grub properly. One of the problems is that no efi entry is created, I managed to create one manually with `efibootmgr`, but even with that, it seems that the grub commands to start Nobara are wrong because it displays an error, and I'm not competent enough to fix it.

I have a similar problem, not sure if it is the same though.
I've installed Nobara to try it out, I have both Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21 on my machine, I made a partition for Nobara and followed the auto installation, after rebooting it didn't appear neither in Grub nor on UEFI settings

@GRANTIOX, you would do far better to open a fresh topic of your own.

You will receive more replies by doing that

Hey, slightly late to the party, but I had a similar issue and manage to "fix" it (details later). It's not EXACTLY the same issue, so I don't know if this would work for the OP or not, but others finding this thread may find this solution useful.
In my case, I also had no problem creating the bootable usb (via rufus), booting it, and installing, though I installed to a different drive than my windows (7) installation. I had already prepared an empty partition ahead of time via Windows 7's partition manager, so during the nobara installation I used the "replace partition" (or some phrasing like that) option and selected the empty partition. Note that I did change the boot from its default value of sda (which is my windows 7 drive) to sdb (which is the drive I was installing nobara to). Unsure if that's important.
Once installation was completed and I restarted, it booted into windows 7 with no grub or other boot menu before-hand. I found this post on the official nobara site, but following the instructions there did not solve the issue for me. I rebooted and used the motherboard boot selector to manually select the drive with nobara. This worked, but grub only showed nobara and did not have an option for windows 7. After some reading, I realized that nobara is EFI and my windows 7 install is not, which seems to be why nobara grub isn't adding an option for it.
Now for something a little extra tricky; according to my default boot order, nobara should have booted before windows 7 anyway, so why didn't it? Well, that's because my motherboard settings have two options for boot management - "UEFI" and "LEGACY + UEFI". Obviously if I choose "UEFI" windows 7 is inaccessible, so it's the hybrid option...but what's really tricky is that it seems to have a bug where once it attempts any non-EFI boot device, future EFI boot devices fail (or at least my nobara install did). I had to make sure it attempted booting nobara before all non-EFI boot options (I had a non-EFI usb boot option before it previously.
Once I changed the default boot order, I now automatically got the nobara grub on startup instead of going straight into windows 7. Here's where it's a "fix" and not a fix. Windows 7 isn't accessible from there. I still have to manually select whichever OS is not the default straight from the motherboard boot menu if I want to access it.
Not perfect, but I can deal with it. I'll just set my default boot order according to which OS I'm currently using the most, and access the other via the MB boot menu. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Members online

Latest posts