No WiFi Adapter Found?

erniusma

Reaction score
Credits
So, I got this problem yesterday. I was trying to connect to my WiFi network and it showed that there is no WiFi adapter. Today i was trying to fix the problem, but i know little to no programing, any help? I'm using ubuntu, The latest version.

Where do I find the chipset exactly?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-02-20 14-22-06.png
    Screenshot from 2019-02-20 14-22-06.png
    43 KB · Views: 2,223
In a Terminal issue the command
Code:
lspci |grep Network
What does it say? Copy and Paste here?

Hello,
I have been following all the steps except mine is:
Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Any advice?

@KDsupreme
1) Please don't just tag a question on the end of someone else's thread. You should have started a new thread of your own.
2) The Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection is not a wifi connection. It is an ethernet connection. You need to Copy and Paste the whole output of
Code:
lspci |grep Network
here

Hello I am using the new Fedora 31, after installed it I was having some problems with packages saying that I had many kernel versions.
I followed that to remove the oldest ones: https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/delete-remove-old-kernels-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/
Then my internet connection was wear, I rebooted and my wifi never worked again..
Any help?
BTW: When I run in terminal that:
Code:
lspci |grep Network

I receive:
Code:
2:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)

Thank you for any advice!!!!!

I have two Fedora systems that use that chipset with no problems.

You shouldn't have to remove any old kernel versions, likely that module was using part of one of the old kernel drivers.

what is the output of "lsmod | grep wifi "

also what is the output of "nmcli dev show | grep wifi -B1 -A4"

I have two Fedora systems that use that chipset with no problems.

You shouldn't have to remove any old kernel versions, likely that module was using part of one of the old kernel drivers.

what is the output of "lsmod | grep wifi "

also what is the output of "nmcli dev show | grep wifi -B1 -A4"

Thank you for your answer, i am desperate! :(

The output of "lsmod | grep wifi " is:

Code:
iwlwifi               339968  1 iwlmvm
cfg80211              843776  3 iwlmvm,iwlwifi,mac80211

The output of "nmcli dev show | grep wifi -B1 -A4" is:

Code:
GENERAL.DEVICE:                         wlp2s0
GENERAL.TYPE:                           wifi
GENERAL.HWADDR:                         F8:63:3F:E9:49:59
GENERAL.MTU:                            1500
GENERAL.STATE:                          10 (unmanaged)
GENERAL.CONNECTION:                     --

The good news here is.. your Kernel does see your wifi adapter.
Now it's just a question of setting up your connection.

Which window manager are you using? (Gnome, Mate, KDE, etc... )

From a terminal, when you run... "nmcli dev wifi list"
Does it show any SSIDs. (Your wifi network name).

The good news here is.. your Kernel does see your wifi adapter.
Now it's just a question of setting up your connection.

Which window manager are you using? (Gnome, Mate, KDE, etc... )

From a terminal, when you run... "nmcli dev wifi list"
Does it show any SSIDs. (Your wifi network name).
I am using GNOME

Gnome... *sigh*. Ok then we'll have to do this in the terminal.
what is output from...

dnf list installed | grep -i NetworkManager

dnf list installed | grep -i wpa_supp

Gnome... *sigh*. Ok then we'll have to do this in the terminal.
what is output from...

dnf list installed | grep -i NetworkManager

dnf list installed | grep -i wpa_supp

Ok, first:
Code:
> dnf list installed | grep -i NetworkManager
NetworkManager.x86_64                              1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates                 
NetworkManager-adsl.x86_64                         1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates                 
NetworkManager-bluetooth.x86_64                    1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates                 
NetworkManager-config-connectivity-fedora.noarch   1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates                 
NetworkManager-libnm.x86_64                        1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates                 
NetworkManager-openconnect.x86_64                  1.2.6-2.fc31                                @fedora                   
NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome.x86_64            1.2.6-2.fc31                                @fedora                   
NetworkManager-openvpn.x86_64                      1:1.8.10-1.fc31.1                           @fedora                   
NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome.x86_64                1:1.8.10-1.fc31.1                           @fedora                   
NetworkManager-pptp.x86_64                         1:1.2.8-1.fc31.2                            @fedora                   
NetworkManager-pptp-gnome.x86_64                   1:1.2.8-1.fc31.2                            @fedora                   
NetworkManager-ssh.x86_64                          1.2.11-1.fc31                               @updates                 
NetworkManager-ssh-gnome.x86_64                    1.2.11-1.fc31                               @updates                 
NetworkManager-team.x86_64                         1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates                 
NetworkManager-vpnc.x86_64                         1:1.2.6-3.fc31                              @fedora                   
NetworkManager-vpnc-gnome.x86_64                   1:1.2.6-3.fc31                              @fedora                   
NetworkManager-wwan.x86_64                         1:1.20.10-1.fc31                            @updates

Second:
Code:
> dnf list installed | grep -i wpa_supp
wpa_supplicant.x86_64                              1:2.9-2.fc31                                @updates

What I don't see here is...

NetworkManager-wifi.x86_64

Another solution I've tried is to run Linux inside of Win10 under WSL. Go to Microsoft Store type Linux I chose from distros free Unbutu and downloaded. No gui only the command terminal but that's all I wanted. No dual boot, no lost files to move about and as to speed it is just me typing slow command sudo apt update and upgrade. All done fast and dusted. Nice result.

Members online

Latest posts