No space left on device

nntn

Reaction score
Credits
I used the following CLI to wipe out my USB:
sudo dd if=dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

When it finished and gave me the prompt back, I have noticed the following message:
"dd: writing to '/dev/sda': No space left on device
240353281+0 records in
240353280+0 records out
123060879360 bytes (123 GB, 115 GiB copied, 18157.7 s, 6.8 MB/s

Would you think the USB is corrupted?

How can I test to see if the USB is not corrupted?
I will be using it to write an ISO file to it.

Because you specified /dev/urandom as the input file. That is like trying to fill a bucket with "infinity". /dev/urandom will output as long as it is read. So you could run PT/EB worth. You need to specify how much data you are writing if your source is infinite or > the destination (man dd).

So there's nothing wrong with your drive. Just fire up Gparted and create a new partition table and add a partition and it'll be back to its handsome self.

Some footnotes:
- Using a 128GB flashstick for an OS ISO is kinda excessive. An 8GB stick will handle all single layer DVDs which is the max size of any distro per disk and you can only dd 1 ISO at a time to a storage device.
- IDK why you "securely erased" your thumbstick. Unless you have questionable material, you simply need dd the OS ISO to it, no pre-cleaning needed.

Anyways...
Good luck and welcome to Linux.org. Feel free to ask if you need me (or whoever's online at the time) to elaborate.