No sound notifications from Gmail for new messages in 3 browsers

Gottogetout

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I searched a little through the search function of site, but didn t find the topic. I confess that I didn't read all the pages of the results.
The thing is that someone gave me an old "all in one" PC, with a very nice and powerful config.
I installed the last version of Linux Mint and am therefore going back to Linux now. I happy of that.
My little concern : The Gmail notification sound feature does not work in Firefox or Chromium.
I did not manage to install Chrome so did not test with it.
If anyone has the solution, thanks a lot!
I added the address of the Gmail site in the allowed notifications.
it does not change anything.
Apart from Gmail, I don't see any other site that could send me sound notifications in the same way.
On my Windows PC tower the notifications work.
May be i don't yet know Linux Mint enough, and it s a small detail
"The devil uses to hide in details" as always :)
Thanks

Oh really?
But it does it under Win 10! Firefox is Firefox, isn't it?
I'm going to look at that page, thanks
Very interesting. There's something I didn't see. I 'm going to start the PC ans check it out :)

Last edited:
there is a sound add on for firefox, but i do not know if it will work on your mail client

thanks to the link I discovered that there's something I wasn't aware of: The applets.
And it seems that it' s possible to add an applet that's a gmail notifier.
I will follow this track. Thanks.

You could just install Thunderbird and choose audible notifications when getting new mail.

I agree with @KGIII ....accessing your Gmail via Thunderbird is a solution that works

In Thunderbird settings/general, there is a setting entitled Incoming mails....when a new message arrives.......in that place you can show an alert or play a sound...or Both.

OR

Thunderbird reminds me of the old Outlook Express - which, despite MSFT's many failings, was one heck of a great email client. It was also good for Usenet.

Thanks for the suggestions. May be. I use Thunderbird for my other emails addresses. I will keep the idea in case I don't find a solution.
I love my "new" computer under Linux Mint !
the proc is powerful. It comes from a company that renewed their computers.

it's annoying to see that many "little" things do not work and that one has to search for hours and to study and get more familiar with Linux. That's a fact.
But on the other hand there are also advantages, no doubt, we all know it here.

Okay guys, I think I understood what happens.
The issue seems to come from the notification files themselves ! :)
I first installed accidentally a Linux Mint that wasn't the latest, I did an update afterwards.
It could explain this little problem, I don't know.
I set my Gmail address in Thunderbird as you suggested me... Good idea.
No sound when a mail arrives !
I then downloaded some simple notification sounds from a site.
I customized my notification, and miraculously it works :).
So I imagine that something is wrong with the notification files of the system themselves
I will try to find out where there are located. It' s probable that the notification Inside Firefox are also played but does' t sound at all too :)
... not so simple. Firefox still doesn't play any sound.
but through Thunderbird it works. So thanks for the idea. I was waiting for an important message and exchange of mails.

Last edited:
Hi,
I installed Google Chrome, and it's the same. No notification sounds in the three browsers I have. So I guess that the issue is related to Linux than. Nothing is perfect. I will continue using Thunderbird, for the moment, no choice.

I will continue using Thunderbird, for the moment, no choice.

Thunderbird is pretty awesome, though it may use a bit of RAM if you have as much mail and as many accounts as I do. In my case it's currently using just under 400 MB of RAM, so not that bad.

It also has some great calendar features and some great task management features.

While there aren't that many, compared to say a browser, there are even extensions you can use. Some of those make it even better. Take a look around inside Thunderbird and you may find some that make your experiences even better.

Join the dark side!!! Thunderbird is awesome!

:) Yes, sure KGill. I will take a look.

The thing is that each time I have installed a Linux on a computer I had to search a solution for little annoying things that do not work. Not a big deal.
To be honest, this time, that lack of notification sound in the browsers is the ONLY little thing I've found ! It's really not a big deal. Linux is a fantastic system, everything is free, and more secure. One can avoid more easily the spies of Microsoft too. And all that is a huge huge work done for free by tons of people ! It's impressive and inspires me respect.

Okay, If one knows nothing about computers that little things can be frustrating. But I'm experimented with computers, I'm a Windows user since may be fifteen years.
I won't install Windows on this computer, that doesn't lack of power, it s the opposite ! Believe me !
It would be easy for me to get a Windows license for may be less than one euro. But I won 't.
I'm very happy with Linux Mint and the free software.
I'm also happy to deep my knowledge of Linux. Of course it requires some time. I do have time :)
I like learning, I like change. Routine is deadly boring ! :)
Thanks for your help.

I like learning, I like change. Routine is deadly boring ! :)

There's always more to learn with Linux. That's a good thing, I think.

There's also always ways to get involved and help. I'm on the Lubuntu dev team and do quite a bit more than that. Just jump in with learning and you too can help make Linux better.

Members online