No sound from built in speakers on ASUS EXPERTCENTER AIO E5402W

AS your machine is fairly new, This may be time to try something different, download MX-21.2.1_x64 “ahs” burn it to a bootable pen-drive and try it in test mode, see if it will work with all your kit, I am making this suggestion as MX-AHS has the most up-to-date range of drivers available that I know,
If all else fails, I will do that. Thank you.
So pulseaudio is primary let try stopping the pipewire service and see if your audio comes back
Code:
systemctl --user stop pipewire.socket && systemctl --user stop pipewire.service
do not reboot this will get restarted if you do - if it works we will mask pipewire
Did run a command, and still no sound.

1) try from the terminal
Code:
sudo alsamixer
Assuming the application launches and you can see the UI, proceed with the remaining steps
2) Press F6 to select the desired sound-card
3) Press F3 to ensure we are only exploring [Playback] settings
4) Use the right and left arrow keys to move to different items.
If the item volume indicator has a little box with "MM" or "0", try toggling the mute status with the "M" on the keyboard. If you do not hear audio from the speakers, then toggle the item again to put it back to its original state.
you will most likely have to enlarge the terminal window when alsamixer starts to see all the options - here is mine and I have headphones plugged in

2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
1) try from the terminal
Code:
sudo alsamixer
Assuming the application launches and you can see the UI, proceed with the remaining steps
2) Press F6 to select the desired sound-card
3) Press F3 to ensure we are only exploring [Playback] settings
4) Use the right and left arrow keys to move to different items.
If the item volume indicator has a little box with "MM" or "0", try toggling the mute status with the "M" on the keyboard. If you do not hear audio from the speakers, then toggle the item again to put it back to its original state.
Tried. Didn't work. Perhaps there are no correct sound drivers available for my machine yet?

check the Synaptic Package Manager and in the search block look for alsa-utils and make sure it is installed

We going to try and edit the Grub Menu

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
note where it says gedit you may need to change it to the text editor you are using

Change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0"

Save the file

Then do:

Code:
sudo update-grub

reboot - if it does not work you can change it back - now I am really out of ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
We going to try and edit the Grub Menu

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
note where it says gedit you may need to change it to the text editor you are using

Change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0"

Save the file

Then do:

Code:
sudo update-grub

reboot - if it does not work you can change it back - now I am really out of ideas
Didn't help.

It's a problem with Asus; they team up with Windows and cripple their systems so that they are not standard anymore. There is also no sound from the built-in speakers in several Asus laptops. Eg. Asus Zenbook OLED 14 UX3402ZA . So it is best for Linux users to avoid Asus computers.

They have Windows specific driver for built-in speakers - Audio Control Driver. And not for linux.

Members online