No right-click menu on the desktop of Gnome, Debian

V

vijoslx11111

When I right-click anywhere on the desktop, there's no right-click menu. It seems OK when I use other programs such as file manager, terminal and Iceweasel. I use Debian 7.3.0, downloaded from the official website.

Does anyone know how to handle it?

You need to set the file manager to manage the desktop. I do not know how this is done in Debian. I did it before in Ubuntu using Ubuntu Tweak. Specifically, what is happening is the desktop (right now on your system) is just the wallpaper, but no upper layer (file manager).

A GUI's behaviour can be adjusted by altering the preferences. Of course, the exact procedure is different for different GUIs. So that brings up the question; Which GUI are you using? Gnome? I am guessing you installed with CD1, as opposed to KDE-CD1, XFCE-CD1 or LXDE-CD1, and therefore, have Gnome. I have never used Gnome 3, but I believe an additional package must be installed before being able to significantly customise. I believe the package is called Gnome Tweak Tool.

You can set the file manager to manage the desktop in Gnome by going to:
Applications (menu at the top left) -> System tools -> Preferences ->Advanced Settings -> Desktop -> and turn on "Have the file manager handle the desktop".

Members online

Latest posts