No GUI after installing Debian 8.2 with KDE on XENServer VM

B

Bassmann

Hi there,

I'm attempting to setup Debian 8.2 on a XENServer VM 6.5 SP1. I'm a newbie to Linux and have encountered a problem. The install completed but upon reboot it doesn't boot to KDE which I specified on the install as the default interface, it boots to the cmd prompt. The said machine is on my home LAN and I can connect the XS console fine.

Post install, I've tried to reinstall KDE but it says its already installed. When I try to start x server i get the error message below...To confirm I've reinstalled the VM from scratch only to end at the same point.

From googling I think I need to manually edit the xorg conf file. But to be honest I'm not really sure what I need to do to get Debian to boot to KDE.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bassmann

root@debian:~# startx

X Org X Server 1.16.4
Release Date: 2014-12-20
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u6 (2015-11-09) x86_64
Kernel command line: root=/dev/mapper/debian--vg-root ro console=hvc0 quiet -- quiet console=hvc0

Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Nov 13 18:29:16 2015
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)

(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error
root@debian:~# ~~~

I'm not sure if this will help much, but it appears something is wrong with the graphics driver (or lack of one). Try running
Code:
apt-get install xorg
then try starting the x server again.

Hi jerz4lunch.

I tried as suggested and found XORG is already installed.

I played around with a few things and I think what's happening is that the VM cannot see my GPU under XENSEVER, hence the error, no screen found.
- I've previously installed Debian 8.2 with this hardware as a stand alone OS successfully.
- I've installed Debian 8.2 on Xenserver with my Radeon HD6450 which ended up with this issue (no screen error)
- I disabled my Radeon HD6450, enabled my i5-3470s onboard graphics and installed Deb 8.2 with this issue (no screen error).

This is why I think the might be an issue with the VM accessing the GPU under XENSERVER host.

Has anyone else come across an issue like this?

Thanks,

Bassmann

Hi jerz4lunch.

I tried as suggested and found XORG is already installed.

I played around with a few things and I think what's happening is that the VM cannot see my GPU under XENSEVER, hence the error, no screen found.
- I've previously installed Debian 8.2 with this hardware as a stand alone OS successfully.
- I've installed Debian 8.2 on Xenserver with my Radeon HD6450 which ended up with this issue (no screen error)
- I disabled my Radeon HD6450, enabled my i5-3470s onboard graphics and installed Deb 8.2 with this issue (no screen error).

This is why I think the might be an issue with the VM accessing the GPU under XENSERVER host.

Has anyone else come across an issue like this?

Thanks,

Bassmann
Unfortunately, I've never used XenServer, so I won't be able to help you any further. Hopefully someone else who's more knowledgeable with XenServer will find this article and help you.

Members online