No access to ethernet/no wifi

RealBigOleDummy

Reaction score
Credits
This may seem very basic to most but just take a look at my username.

I've tried 3 different distros ( Ubuntu, Mint and Zorin) from a live usb over the last few days and have run into the same problem each time, no wifi access. Every help topic/guide I've found has just said to use a ethernet connection to get the drivers needed. This is not possible for me. Each distro "sees" my network but won't accept my password. When I look at the driver management of each distro there are no alternative drivers available for networks, just for my gpu.
My question is, can I find a driver and include it in the iso image so that I have net access and start learning more about Linux? If so, how? If not is there ANY other method to use? My installed wifi driver is Intel Dual Band wireless - ac 3168.

Hello and Welcome to Linux.org forums.
Download and give PCLinuxOS a try it's very good at wifi drivers preinstalled. It may work for you.
Or go to live Ubuntu or Mint and go to a terminal and type this command
Code:
inxi -Nn
and post the output back here
so we can see which wifi card we are looking at and we maybe able to guide you with driver install without internet access.

Did you select to install Non free/propriety drivers? if you did not then try that on your next install,
alternatively if your using mint/ubuntu then open menu, all applications scroll down to driver manager and open [to see if it finds extra drivers] you will need to be internet connected.
if that fails and you have internet then in a terminal run inxi -Fnxz [this will give us the Full profile of your machine] and cut/paste back the results

Bwiz

The drivers for the AC3168 are in each of those distros by default and are found in the folder /lib/firmware they are iwlwifi-3168-21 and -22 and -27 and -29. The problem is your password not being accepted

Double-check that you have the correct password
Try the hex or ASCII pass key
Try turning your wireless card off and then on again
Check that you’re using the correct type of wireless security
Reboot your wireless router and try to connect again

If you have another machine connected to your WiFi use that machine to verify the password go into the WiFi Settings click on the security tab and put a check mark in Show Password and check the type of security it is using

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for replying. I have it now. Much appreciated. I can now begin my journey into this wonderful OS. You will most likely be seeing a lot of me in next few weeks lol

Are you aware what fixed the problem ?...

Members online