NIC (Wifi and Bluetooth) Issue

Reaction score
Credits
when i install linux in my new laptop (HP Laptop 15-bs179) i get NIC card problem.. i install the drivers manually using terminal codes it works fine.. but then after system update i get the same problem.. PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS

exactly this pc obviously with different product id.. i face this problem in every distro.. Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, SparkyLinux, Linux Mint, Arch Linux... i have no clue why my laptop is having such problem with linux distros

Welcome to linux.org @Archiman Chakraborty :)

What Linux Distribution are you using, there are hundreds?

Are the computer specifications similar to this?

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05835980

Try to describe the error in a bit more detail.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

the problem i face is when i install linux (any distro) the wifi adapter is not found and bluetooth doesnt work... then i manually install the drivers thn they work fine... after system update again the wifi and bluetooth doesnt work...

OK Archie (I am an Australian and we abbreviate everything, take no offence :)) - thanks for that info.

I have to leave for my evening DownUnder shortly and might not be back for 14 hours or so, so someone else may come along, and you can consider their advice.

I will leave a little brainstorming trail here for people to either follow or they may have their own course of action -
  • Is Archie's laptop running Windows, does he wish to dualboot, which Windows version?
  • Which Linux Distro is on the laptop currently down to the .iso name and/or DE (Desktop Environment)?
  • Which of the mnetioned Distros would Archie most like to have running?
  • Archie has said
    then i manually install the drivers thn they work fine.
    ... by what method - Terminal command or GUI, and what were the packages/drivers?
  • I am looking at what is thought of getting Archie set up with a Live USB stick of either Mint or Ubuntu, with persistence, then he can save changes and report outputs to us at different times without losing the changes
  • I am looking to get output for what sort of card it is, either through Archie knowing, or inxi -Fxz (even inxi -nz), which of course begs the question - Archie do I take it you have Ethernet working in order to have installed updates?
Let us know your timezone, perhaps, too, and we can better coordinate.

You must be finding this very frustrating, but I expect there is a logical answer not far away.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

OK Archie (I am an Australian and we abbreviate everything, take no offence :)) - thanks for that info.

I have to leave for my evening DownUnder shortly and might not be back for 14 hours or so, so someone else may come along, and you can consider their advice.

I will leave a little brainstorming trail here for people to either follow or they may have their own course of action -
  • Is Archie's laptop running Windows, does he wish to dualboot, which Windows version?
  • Which Linux Distro is on the laptop currently down to the .iso name and/or DE (Desktop Environment)?
  • Which of the mnetioned Distros would Archie most like to have running?
  • Archie has said

... by what method - Terminal command or GUI, and what were the packages/drivers?
  • I am looking at what is thought of getting Archie set up with a Live USB stick of either Mint or Ubuntu, with persistence, then he can save changes and report outputs to us at different times without losing the changes
  • I am looking to get output for what sort of card it is, either through Archie knowing, or inxi -Fxz (even inxi -nz), which of course begs the question - Archie do I take it you have Ethernet working in order to have installed updates?
Let us know your timezone, perhaps, too, and we can better coordinate.

You must be finding this very frustrating, but I expect there is a logical answer not far away.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

ok first thing first... I m from India (GMT +5:30) . Currently My laptop is running on Windows 10 64bit (Version 1809). I dont want to have a dual boot... once my problem is solved m going to completely switch to linux Ubuntu , Debian (Kali) or SparkyLinux(GameOverEdition). I visited this website " http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/08/no-wifi-adapter-found-hp-laptops-ubuntu-18-04/ " and " https://askubuntu.com/questions/787023/bluetooth-not-working-on-ubuntu-16-04-lts " for installing the drivers. I boot my laptop with a Ubuntu Live Stick (bootable pandrive) created using Rufus 3.3 (on windows). My NIC card is realtek.... you can mail me at " [email protected] " :):):):)

Thanks Archie, I am east coast Australia (Queensland, without daylight saving) on GMT +10 so not so far apart. I really wouldn't give out my email except in a private Conversation (PM) but your call.

I dont want to have a dual boot... once my problem is solved m going to completely switch to linux Ubuntu , Debian (Kali) or SparkyLinux(GameOverEdition).

A man after my own heart, let's see what we can do to help with that ambition :). I did it over 4 years ago, haven't looked back.

Either from the Ubuntu stick, or from what might be installed but without wifi enabled, can you give us the Terminal output from

Code:
inxi -nz

Mine, for example looks like this

Code:
chris@Tara-MATE:~$ inxi -nz
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath10k_pci
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-3: Atheros
           IF: null-if-id state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A

Make sure to include the command, because some times people make a mistake with the syntax.

Cheers

Wizard

i am using Ubuntu 18.04LTS on VMware right now.. i will give you the output when i reach home... may b around 7.00 pm (IST)...

No worries Mate - no hurry. I'll be in bed catching zzzz's at your 7PM :)

OK so it's a Virtual install of the 'buntu using VMware, I don't think we knew that.

We'll try to get the wifi/BT sorted first, but for Ron (lateR ON) ... if you wish to go Ubuntu, there is a better alternative for trying it on Windows, only available under Ubuntu.

It is called WUBI-UEFI, and rather than just working with the RAM you can afford to throw at it under VM, it will run at full capacity. Only involves a folder being created on your C Drive, sets up a dualboot scenario, and if you want to get rid of it all you need to do is blow away the folder later.

Think about it and we'll talk later.

Wizard

No worries Mate - no hurry. I'll be in bed catching zzzz's at your 7PM :)

OK so it's a Virtual install of the 'buntu using VMware, I don't think we knew that.

We'll try to get the wifi/BT sorted first, but for Ron (lateR ON) ... if you wish to go Ubuntu, there is a better alternative for trying it on Windows, only available under Ubuntu.

It is called WUBI-UEFI, and rather than just working with the RAM you can afford to throw at it under VM, it will run at full capacity. Only involves a folder being created on your C Drive, sets up a dualboot scenario, and if you want to get rid of it all you need to do is blow away the folder later.

Think about it and we'll talk later.

Wizard

oops i forgot about that option... thanx buddy...

this is the drivers output in VM... which is not true... i have Realtek 8081 driver and Realtek Semiconductor for bluetooth

Attachments

• 15446418603362710173700144984531.jpg
    15446418603362710173700144984531.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 682
A bit of a "holding" Post, Archie as I see you are online, but I am juggling between a few Threads and duties at the moment. :)

which is not true..

Not quite so, but let me ask you for a picture, hope you have used Windows Snipping Tool before?

This from my Win 10 - type in msinfo32 will take you to System Summary, expand to show as I have done below

KGAOoxp.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - WIZARD'S SYSTEM INFO - WINDOWS 10 - NETWORK ADAPTER

I have used the Snipping Tool after the pic was taken to black out my MAC addresses for privacy, but you will get the picture.

I have a Realtek that handles my Ethernet, and a QualComm Atheros which handles my WiFi.

The card numbers and the driver names are sometimes (in fact quite often) seemingly unrelated.

The information you have found is accurate.

See if you can get me a picture like the above and we'll go further.

Thanks for your patience.

Wizard

Members online