Next Computer Please

keith 1955

Reaction score
Credits
Migrated my laptop a few weeks ago from a 64 bit machine Windows 7 to Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and very pleased with the outcome.
Now i need advice on doing the same with my HP Tower machine with windows 7- 32 bit AMD Athlon 7550 dual core 2.50 GHZ with 4GB ram.
i want to know will it run Ubuntu 18.04- 64 bit as now on laptop.
I have tried this booted from a USB drive, it works but sluggish, again been told this is normal.
So question is will Ubuntu be a success as with the laptop or am i hoping for to much.

I have a 3 GHz Core Duo machine with 2GB Ram, that I bought in 2008, I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on and using as a server. When I do log onto the desktop it does everything just fine. One thing that I did do and suggest you do as well is to replace or add an SSD as the primary disk. I purchased my 120 Gig SSD, for 3 of my computers including this server, for about $30 each. Now for this server, it was quite old so I also had to buy a SATA 3 controller card because the MB only supported SATA 2. The SATA 2 drives were quite pricey and I actually saved money by buying the card and the SATA 3 drive. The card was about $25. But SSD drives breath new life into old computers, they're faster than many of the USB pen drives too.

Last edited:
You don't mention what kind of graphics your computer is running integrated graphics or discrete graphics card and what it is.

A weak graphics adapter can cause Ubuntu 18.04 to load on the processor which can slow things down.

I also agree with TechnoJunky that an SSD will speed things up a bit.

You might also consider a lighter Linux Distro which is not so resource demanding as Ubuntu 18.04 as the Gnome desktop / user interface is very resource demanding asd with weak graphics can give a painful Linux experience.

My 00.02 cents.

I also like the idea of a lighter Linux distro, Give Linux Mint xfce a run.

Thank you all for your replies.

My machine is a HP about 2009 build
My graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 6150 SE Nforce 430.
Dac type intergrated RAMDAC memory 1401mb
Recently bought a new monitor and checked Screen resolution and playing 1080P (1920x1080)
Mint xfce appears to only go to 720p.
i still have much to learn as i thought Mint was more demanding than Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Hi Wizard.
Posted above from comments read on Google re-checked information and found other comments saying 1080p resolution.
So will re-phrase my question.
My machine is a HP about 2009 build running Windows 7 32bit
Recently bought a new monitor which can achieve 2560x1440 checked Screen resolution with monitor attached to this computer manages1080P (1920x1080)
Will Mint xfce give me the same or better resolution than with Windows 7
i still have much to learn as i thought Mint was more demanding than Ubuntu.
Thank you.

OK here's the reality and I'm speaking from personal experience as I have a desktop with that same POS integrated graphics adapter.

Code:
thomas@Compaq-Presario ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Compaq-Presario Kernel: 4.4.0-159-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Compaq-Presario product: BM411AA-ABA CQ5600F
           Mobo: PEGATRON model: NARRA5 v: 5.00 Bios: Phoenix v: 5.59 date: 05/20/2010
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon II X2 B24 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 12055
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 2300 MHz 2: 2300 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] bus-ID: 00:0d.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.135 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-159-generic
Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: fc00 bus-ID: 00:07.0
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (7.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 143G used: 7.4G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 22.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 162 Uptime: 22 min Memory: 667.3/3698.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
thomas@Compaq-Presario ~ $

Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce is your best and possibly the only hope for that POS integrated graphics adapter and you will need to install the proprietary Nvidia Graphics Driver.

The reason I suggest this particular Linux Mint Distro is because of the 4.4.0 xx real LTS kernel over the later versions HWE short term kernel which may or may not work.

Have a read and read as many times as necessary.

Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce

When trying to evaluate which distro and/or desktop to use, it's helpful to tell us how much system RAM you have too. 2 GB? 4 GB? More? RAMDAC is video memory.

But, as @poorguy noted, with your video card, XFCE is likely your best choice for Mint. This should give you the full resolution of your video card and be just as good as Windows 7. But your video card may not give you the full resolution that your new monitor is capable of.

Cheers

Poorguy thank you for your helpful comments and links.
atanere i have 4 GB ram as mentioned in original post top of page.

Now i need advice on doing the same with my HP Tower machine with windows 7- 32 bit AMD Athlon 7550 dual core 2.50 GHZ with 4GB ram.
Hey keith 1995,

Since this is a desktop a fix that would help would be to buy an inexpensive basic discrete graphics card.

However

Because of the limitations of the oem power supply you will need to do so some research prior to purchasing any new graphics card.

Just something to think about.

Thank you both for the information, i will check this out.
Opening another post which i'm sure you will be able to help with.
Thanks again

OK here's the reality and I'm speaking from personal experience as I have a desktop with that same POS integrated graphics adapter.

Code:
thomas@Compaq-Presario ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Compaq-Presario Kernel: 4.4.0-159-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Compaq-Presario product: BM411AA-ABA CQ5600F
           Mobo: PEGATRON model: NARRA5 v: 5.00 Bios: Phoenix v: 5.59 date: 05/20/2010
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon II X2 B24 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 12055
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 2300 MHz 2: 2300 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] bus-ID: 00:0d.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.135 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-159-generic
Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: fc00 bus-ID: 00:07.0
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (7.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 143G used: 7.4G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 22.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 162 Uptime: 22 min Memory: 667.3/3698.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
thomas@Compaq-Presario ~ $

Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce is your best and possibly the only hope for that POS integrated graphics adapter and you will need to install the proprietary Nvidia Graphics Driver.

The reason I suggest this particular Linux Mint Distro is because of the 4.4.0 xx real LTS kernel over the later versions HWE short term kernel which may or may not work.

Have a read and read as many times as necessary.

Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce

poorguy. i have used Mint 18.0 64 bit from your list via USB boot and works fine with Firefox and see it is supported for the next couple of years or so.
I remember being told about installing Linux to an ex HDD so found instruction how to do this on YouTube. seems straightforward enough . (as long as i can see it being done i can manage.)
so will try this and let you know how it goes

Thank you

Last edited:
As i say above downloaded Mint 18.0 64 bit XFCE and booting from my Ex HDD all seems well.
One concern is, i selected updates as a mid user not novice, came back with over 200 updates which i just gave the OK for now wondering if as poorguy mentioned about kernel (
(The reason I suggest this particular Linux Mint Distro is because of the 4.4.0 xx real LTS kernel over the later versions HWE short term kernel which may or may not work.)
if i just allow updates will it try to install the HWE one and spoil things.
Other question is it possible to use newer email client and qBittorent as i am now getting use to this.
Notice this version has no Timeshift option, which i have made us of several times with my laptop.
still if things go wrong at least just delete from EX HDD and start again.

Thank you.

Hey keith 1955,

The 4.4.0 xx LTS kernel will not change to an HWE short term kernel by itself so you will be fine.

I don't use email clients or qBittorent so I don't know anything about them.

Timeshift you can download using Synaptic Package Manager.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timeshift you can download using Synaptic Package Manager.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Clem (Lefebvre, of Linux Mint) and his team introduced Timeshift to Mint with v18.3 'Sylvia', and later backported it to v18.2 'Sonya' and 18.1 'Serena'. I am not 100% sure it made it to 18.0 'Sarah' that Keith has.

A command at Terminal (no need for sudo) of

Code:
apt-cache policy timeshift

will reveal just as fast as a Synaptic search whether it is available or not.

If it is not there, Keith can follow the instructions either in my Thread on Timeshift

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

specifically at #9 on page 1

Cheers

Wiz

Latest posts