U

ulrich A

I am thinking of switching from windows to linux Sabayon, I am not sure about anything as of yet,
My system:
System

Manufacturer: Toshiba

Model: Satellite L655

Processor: Intel® CPU p6200 @2.1GH 2.1GHz

Installed memory (RAM):

System type: 64-bit Operating System
I am thinking I would like to dual boot at least for a while but don't know enough about doing that so any input would be appreciated

Arochester has provided a very good tutorial specifically for Sabayon, but
which may be applied to dual-booting most any chosen linux distro alongside
Win7. I highly recommend following the procedure outlined within it.

I am a performance-oriented user who began using GNU/Linux distros on P4s with
512MB to 1GB RAM. I do not need a lot of eye-candy. I am more interested in
functionality than in good looks. Please remember these facts when reading
what's below.

In my experience, the Sabayon distro: a) necessitates a very good internet
connection for updates and upgrades, b) contains a lot of bells and whistles
not necessary for a good linux experience, c) is resource-hungry, and d) is
very pretty.

Even given a) and 4GB 1333MHz RAM, CPU would limit performance to mediocre.
On a laptop such as your Satellite L655, I would not be satisfied with the
performance of Sabayon, especially if wanting 64-bit. This distro is oriented
more towards desktops and ultrabooks, IMHO.

I would not run any distro with full-blown KDE, Gnome or Unity DEs. If intent on
using Sabayon, I suggest trying either the Minimal or XFCE versions.

Best wishes! Welcome!

Last edited:
You could load and run Linux in VirtualBox without having to dual-boot. It's a great free way to play with and get to know Linux before making a commitment.

This video kind of walks you through the process. I would use between 10 and 20 GB of virtual hard drive space and 1 GB of RAM is usually more than enough.

You could also download AntiX, which is a low resource linux based on Debian linux. The .iso allows you to boot from the cd/dvd to try it out, and later to install if you want to keep it. My machine is prior to Y2K and made from junk parts, but it works.

AntiX allows you to use any thing from a PIII to the newest machines. Go check out the channel for run with the dolphin on YouTube, and watch his videos. You may be surprised.

Last edited:
I am thinking I would like to dual boot at least for a while but don't know enough about doing that so any input would be appreciated
You need to download the Sabayon ISO and burn it on either your CD/DVD or your USB flash drive.
You can download the Sabayon ISO in the official Sabayon Linux website.
The way you burn it on your CD/DVD depends on your current operating system. If you're on Windows, just insert a black CD/DVD, right-click on the downloaded Sabayon ISO, and click on the burn option. If you're on Mac, open up Disk Utility and click on the SuperDrive tab, and then the burn option.
If you want to burn it on your USB drive, use Universal USB Installer, you can download it in its official website.
Then you will need to insert either your CD/DVD or your USB drive and shutdown your PC. Now boot into the installation media by choosing the boot priority option in BIOS, and you can then start the installation process. Make sure you do what you wish in partitioning. That's the only thing you need to keep an eye on. Once the installation is finished, remove the installation media and reboot your PC. You will notice there's a boot loader installed such as GRUB. You can choose what OS you want to boot, and if there are no errors, you're done.

Members online

Latest posts