@KimWilson , G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

You won't be the first, nor will you be the last, to think that you can install Linux that way, so it is an understandable mistake.

But if I were to dissect your procedure above, I would answer it with "Nope" about 7 times over. :)

Linux cannot be installed that way. The .iso has to be "burned" to USB or DVD, just as you might use a burning solution to capture music.

Rufus, mentioned above by Pete, is one such burning solution, another is Balena Etcher, which is very user-friendly.

Brian, @Condobloke , whom you have seen above, with the beautiful dog Belle that might like to play with your cat, has a good article in our Linux Mint section, and @PhilippinPete can take note too.

It is at https://linux.org/threads/how-to-try-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc.20993/

Brian's thread, broadly speaking, can be applied to many more Linux Distros than just Linux Mint.

Kim if you have further questions after reading Brian's material, start you own Thread either in Mint or in Getting Started, mention you've read Brian's Thread, and someone will be along to help.

Saturday here in Oz, so to all

Avagudweegend and stay safe

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thank you so much, I'll take a look!

Well Done !!!!! :cool:

Spend some time playing with it....investigate all the nooks and crannies.....Because it is running from the USB stick, you can have no fear of 'breaking' it.......
Also remember that any changes you make to it, like putting wallpapers on or etc etc etc etc....will not be saved after you reboot.....Changes will only "stick: after the OS is fully installed.

Play with it and give it a really good try out

Again....well done.

If you did happen to 'break' it in usb (live) mode, then to fix it you would just reboot and start again. Simple !

After you have installed properly, and you happened to 'break' it.....you will find an app called Timehsift in the Software Manager....Once it is setup it will save snapshots to an external drive, and these can be restored in the case of a failure or break etc. Again...Simple.

Nice work Kim, enjoy

Wiz

If you did happen to 'break' it in usb (live) mode, then to fix it you would just reboot and start again. Simple !

After you have installed properly, and you happened to 'break' it.....you will find an app called Timehsift in the Software Manager....Once it is setup it will save snapshots to an external drive, and these can be restored in the case of a failure or break etc. Again...Simple.
Cool! Thank you so much!

I was trying to use Virtualbox, but I think I need to enable VTX? on my HP. So... last night I went a different route and installed Zorin 15.2 (duel boot) on an old Asus with a USB. It was so less complicated. I think I will do this with my HP too.

Members online

Latest posts