Newbie to Linux, network question

stuffedegg

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I have only just joined.

I am very new to Linux, but honestly, I love it.
I am dual booting between Win 10 and Linux Mint (separate SSDs)

The way that my household has our network set up is, I am the only person who has a desktop, so I keep a 1TB HD in my pc and we network it.
Now, I am the only person on Linux (I am yet to work out how to run laptops on Linux (I am afraid that I will need to install all the drivers again), I digress.

However, the problem I am facing is that I cannot get my drive (or even one folder) to be visible on the Win 10 laptops.

I am willing to work at it, but as I have been on it for a good few hours, I am afraid I am digging a tunnel.

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial, please?

Thank you.

EDIT: I would like to point out that, when I have this issue sorted, I will be taking a lot of time to read tutorials on this forum. However, as we work from home on these systems, I cannot be on my Linux boot while my wife is working, if I cannot get the HDD shared.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

However, the problem I am facing is that I cannot get my drive (or even one folder) to be visible on the Win 10 laptops.
Do you mean the drive Linux is installed in? Well, Windows can't see Linux; drives, files, anything. This is due to the fact that Linux use different file system(s), ext4 being the most common, which Mint is probably using. You can see Windows from Linux, but not the other way around.

You will need to set up a samba share for your linux and windows boxes here is a page to show you how to do that. Samba

Do you mean the drive Linux is installed in? Well, Windows can't see Linux; drives, files, anything. This is due to the fact that Linux use different file system(s), ext4 being the most common, which Mint is probably using. You can see Windows from Linux, but not the other way around.
No, a separate hdd attached, but thank you for the info.

You will need to set up a samba share for your linux and windows boxes here is a page to show you how to do that. Samba
I have been trying to set samba up, but "I" cannot get it to work for the whole drive (I managed to make a file in the Linux ssd), but it's not large enough for my whole share hdd. I will try the link, thank you.

Moved to the networking sub-forum.

'Snot a problem. When in doubt, look for the *most appropriate* sub-forum and put it there.

I have done it, thank you all.

One issue, though: editable documents (word, excel, whatever) do not open in editable mode. Any ideas?
EDIT: I have tried sudo chmod 0777 -R /folder/path

Last edited:
If you are opening them in LibreOffice and you are in Tabbed View click the Review Tab then Edit Mode
You can also open the documents as a template, this creates a new read/write file with a copy of the existing read only document. If you need to save changes you have to write to a new file resolve differences with the original. In Linux you can also right click the file select properties then select the Permissions tab and make sure you have Read & Write privledges

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done it, thank you all.

One issue, though: editable documents (word, excel, whatever) do not open in editable mode. Any ideas?
EDIT: I have tried sudo chmod 0777 -R /folder/path
Congratulations on sticking with it :)

If you are opening them in LibreOffice and you are in Tabbed View click the Review Tab then Edit Mode
You can also open the documents as a template, this creates a new read/write file with a copy of the existing read only document. If you need to save changes you have to write to a new file and then resolve differences with the original.
You can also open the documents as a template, this creates a new read/write file with a copy of the existing read only document. If you need to save changes you have to write to a new file and then resolve differences with the original.
Not using LibreOffice; on one Windows machine, it is MS Office, on the other, it is Apache Open Office.

The issue isn't opening the files on my LM machine, but Win 10 machines linked.

Congratulations on sticking with it :)
thank you.

Honestly, it has been extremely challenging not to just go back to windows as it is "easier". however, I like LM so much that I am willing to learn what to do....

Not using LibreOffice; on one Windows machine, it is MS Office, on the other, it is Apache Open Office.

The issue isn't opening the files on my LM machine, but Win 10 machines linked.
What version of MS Office are you using if it is prior to 2013 it cannot read .odt or .ods extensions from OpenOffice or LibreOffice if it is docx then open it as a MS Template and edit it then save it as new file or download to the Windows machine then open it then replace it on the share drive

What version of MS Office are you using if it is prior to 2013 it cannot read .odt or .ods extensions from OpenOffice or LibreOffice if it is docx then open it as a MS Template and edit it then save it as new file or download to the Windows machine then open it then replace it on the share drive
My windows machine (with MS) has Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019

Last edited:
Sound more like a permission issue on Windows side
I will check this out, thank you.

Although, I tried to edit a file on the hard drive (Linux) and it says /media/user/hdd/folder/doc is read only.

I am wondering if I need to add a linux partition, but I am currently using >50% of the storage, so I am unsure how to do it.

EDIT: More specifically:

You are trying to save the file on a read-only disk. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

Last edited: