Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

Newbie question as to proper time to upgrade to the new Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by Hansel Johnson Jr, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Hansel Johnson Jr

Hansel Johnson Jr New Member

Is it safe to do an upgrade to Ubuntu now or do I need to wait a few more months so that any bugs are found and fixed.

2. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Hi Hansel, and welcome! What version of Ubuntu are you running now? I see that 16.04.5 (LTS) just came out, and that should be a pretty safe upgrade in the 16.04.x series. The 18.04 series (also LTS) has just got their first point release to 18.04.1. Safe? Yes, I would guess that they are both safe to upgrade, but sometimes stuff happens anyways. :eek:

At this particular time, I think you should also be aware of differences in the Desktop Environments (DE's). Maybe you already know this? Ubuntu 16.04 used the Unity Desktop, and it is being discontinued. Ubuntu 18.04 uses the Gnome Desktop (also called Gnome 3, or Gnome 3 Shell). These look kind of similar, but I think you might be surprised if this is the switch you're looking to make.

But there are so many versions of Ubuntu, I guess you need to tell us what you're using, and what you want to switch to.

Cheers

Condobloke and wizardfromoz like this.
  3. Hansel Johnson Jr

Thanks for the response, I am currently running Ubuntu 16.04(LTS). I plan to stay with Ubuntu. I'm looking at the 18.04 series. I don't want to jump to early. I'm not a programmer just a user who loves to play with computers. Messing with hardware, utilities etc is what life is about:D.

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.
  4. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

If you are using the "standard" Ubuntu edition, you will find some differences between the Unity and Gnome desktops, as I mentioned above. It is possible to keep Unity also... or go back to Unity after the upgrade. You have to follow the steps pretty closely to make this jump from 16.04 to 18.04.... if you haven't dug into it yet, there are a couple of good descriptions here and here.

Safe? Yes, I'd say it is probably safe... but you should, as always, make a good backup of anything that is too important to lose. If things go wrong you can always do a clean install of 18.04.1 too. And a clean install might even be a better way to go (and faster) unless you just want the experience of going through this upgrade process.

I have only briefly played with 18.04 and the new Gnome desktop... I'm not a fan. But you may love it... I can't judge it for you. If you are using a laptop, one thing that annoyed me was that the "right-click" function was removed in some cases. Instead of a right-click, you had to use a two-fingered tap on the touchpad to access those menus. That was not very intuitive for me, and I still can't imagine what the motivation was for that. Oh well.

If you make the upgrade, let us know how it goes for you and what you think of the new version.

Cheers

5. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

Hansel, good morning from DownUnder :)

If you like to give us the output from Terminal of

Code:
    inxi -Fxs
    ... that will give us a quantity of the specs for your computer that can be useful both to us and to you?

I am thinking that one of your options might be to keep your 16.04, and to install beside it an instance of 18.04.1 'Bionic Beaver'.

Then you can take the time to evaluate it under real-time conditions, and then if you like the Beaver, we can show you how to replace one for the other, or else resume the status quo.

What think you?

Cheers

Wizard

Hansel Johnson Jr likes this.
  6. Hansel Johnson Jr

wizardfromoz likes this.
  7. Hansel Johnson Jr

We will inform when we make the leap.

wizardfromoz likes this.
  8. wizardfromoz

Hi Hansel, thanks for those specs, plenty of opportunity to keep that machine alive with Linux :)

Given the spare capacity you have available, you might want to consider carving off a new logical partition (might become /dev/sda6) and label it Timeshift.

Have a read of my Tute on Timeshift here https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

at your leisure, and direct any questions there.

Cheers, and we'll look forward to hearing of your adventures, I hope.

Wizard

atanere likes this.
  9. wizardfromoz

@Hansel Johnson Jr , @all

Hi Hansel, just a heads up that the facility to update from within Ubuntu 16.04LTS to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS is now available.

You may have to have your settings tweaked to be notified of the update, which can be done by going into Software Updater, clicking Settings and launches Software & Updates, where you can tweak the setting at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Wizard

Hansel Johnson Jr and atanere like this.
  10. Hansel Johnson Jr

Wizard thanks for the heads up. I've got several things I need to do before updating to 18.04.1 LTS. I'm taking your advice about installing TimeShift and need to repartition my harddrive for this effort. I'm currently researching how to do this and making sure I'm ready to proceed. The next thing is to back-up my whole harddrive just in case murphy comes for a visit. Once all of this is complete I will upgrade to 18.04.1 LTS and all will be well with the world.

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.
  11. wizardfromoz

Yeah you've gotta watch that Murphy dude, he's a cheeky chap :D.

Sing out here or at Timeshift if you need a hand

Wiz

atanere likes this.
  12. Hansel Johnson Jr

okay Mr. Murphy was waiting. I did some research on how to create a logical partition and attempted to use gparted. Well because i could not change umount /dev/sda while using the system the information stated to put gparted on a usb and you could umont /dev/sda and add a new partition. Dumb me went ahead and made a USB with gparted and proceeded to add a new logical partition. Well the umount worked, and i proceded with the process. Can anyone guess what happened. Well to keep this story short. I wiped out everything, Linux went the way of the wind.

I have spent the last couple of days getting back to Linux Ubuntu 16.04. I have not attempted to create another logical partition. I will need a bit of help to do that. Where is detail information that will help me create another logical partition for backing up data. Please remember I am not a programmer, just a person playing with computers.

Thanks in advance for the help and please keep the laughter to a minimnum.

13. wizardfromoz

Hansel I have cast a Wizardly spell on myself to keep a straight face, but it has a short shelf life :D. If I told you the number of times I have buggered things up, you would feel much better. That Murphy is a bugger, no denying it.

In your inxi output at #6, you gave us, in part

Can you give us that part again, now, and can you also give us the output for

Code:
    sudo blkid
    ?

Slow and steady wins the race, and we can be as self-paced here as you have the patience for.

If you don't find it a privacy intrusion, give us a timezone, or a general location, and then I can work better from my Aussie timezone. But others are available to help, too.

Also, are you a Member of an imaging host site, where you can post images up to the internet? I use imgur.com, but there are others such as Photobucket, TinyPic, and others.

With that facility available, you can post screenshots to here, such as mine below of one of the Drives I have on my new Dell.

[​IMG]

A picture is worth 1,000 words, as they say.

Cheers

Chris