Newbie question about different DE options at the logging screen

r2250chf

Reaction score
Credits
I was using LXQT DE with Lubuntu and am curious with the GNOME DE, and thus have installed it via the
sudo apt update ubuntu-gnome-desktop
follow by the
sudo apt upgrade ubuntu-gnome-desktop
commands.

Now whenever I am on the log-in screen, I have noticed there are different DE options for me to choose.
I am confused that what are the differences between them and which one is best to use if I am going for GNOME?

Thank you

(I notice Lubuntu and LXQT Desktop are just LXQT DE,
Openbox does not work at all and,
GNOME, GNOME on Xorg, Ubuntu, and Ubuntu on Xorg are on GNOME but i am unsure which one would be the best to go for)
IMG_4333.jpg

Gnome on Xorg use Xorg display manager. Which would be my choice.
Gnome for ubuntu would most likely use Wayland. Which is new but somewhat buggy still.
JMHO ;)
This page may help with the difference.
All that being said. As gnome moves closer to Gnome 4 wayland will become more and more needful to run all of it's functions. But for now Xorg is more stable.

Last edited:
Gnome on Xorg use Xorg display manager. Which would be my choice.
Gome or ubuntu would most likely use Wayland. Which is new but somewhat buggy still.
JMHO ;)
This page may help with the difference.

All that being said. As gnome moves closer to Gnome 4 wayland will become more and more needful to run all of it's functions. But for Xorg is more stable.
Thank you!!

I'm running gome 43.0 wayland session on Ubuntu 23.04 lunar no problem...

You may already know this, but I'll provide some further details (belated sorry, but hopefully of use)

The Lubuntu install options are

- Lubuntu - all scripts created by the Lubuntu team are provided; this will match our manual
- LXQt - a purer LXQt (upstream) experience, but not everything mentioned in our manual (ie. the options we've added) will not be available
- Openbox - LXQt is WM (window manager) agnostic, Lubuntu includes Openbox for that purpose; selecting this will use the WM alone, ie. no desktop is actually being used and only openbox.

The other options are Ubuntu Desktop installed & I feel covered pretty well already.

ps: I'm a lover of multiple desktops; my primary PC was originally a Ubuntu Desktop install (ie. GNOME), on which I added `lubuntu-desktop` (LXDE back in those days, but LXQt now), `xubuntu-desktop` (I like Xfce), and further `ubuntu-mate-desktop` as I don't mind MATE either. I really wanted `kubuntu-desktop` too, but you'll discover if you add too many problems start appearing & thus I gave up on KDE on that install.

You mention Openbox does not work at all; it's not a desktop, but just a WM. If you use it as such you'll find it does work, try right-clicking the background and you should get a basic menu which you can configure to be as complex as you want; but it's a window manager and not a desktop which means it's very basic.

LXQt can't put borders around windows... the borders you see when using Lubuntu/LXQt are put there by Openbox which manages the windows.. Lubuntu & LXQt allow you to replace `openbox` with another WM if you so wish; the box I'm using currently has 5 WMs installed, each has pros and cons so you can decide to use whatever you like... you'll just need to logout & login again for the change to take effect.. You'll see here in the Lubuntu manual (https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3.2/3.2.13/session_settings.html) in the first window is the drop-down where you select a replacement for `openbox`.

Members online

Latest posts