Newbie needs install help

Kemoinfla

Reaction score
Credits
Want to install Linux MINT Cinnamon on Dell Latitude D630, 64-bit, 2 GB ram, 80 GB HDD, DVD+RW DVD/CD ROM. Currently running MS-Windows 7. Would like to load fresh Linux ONLY MINT Cinnamon - no Microsoft. I also have desktop PC running Windows 10, and have downloaded Mint ISO which can be moved to CD/DVD. How can I replace Win 7 with Linux? How do I format the HDD, and what do I need to execute(?) the ISO file to do the install? Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1) If there is anything you want to save off the Windows 7 save it!
2) You need to "Burn" the ISO. That is a special operation to create a Linux bootable disk >>> https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/burn-mint
3) Make sure that the Windows 7 computer is set to boot from DVD first (BIOS or Boot Order) before the Hard Disk.
4) Boot from the DVD.
5) Follow the instructions. It will format. At one point tell it to use the whole Hard Drive.

Hard, isn't it :rolleyes:

Hi @Kemoinfla, and welcome! @arochester's instructions are spot on.... it's that simple.... usually. Sometimes there are quirks that pop up, like your first boot into Linux just gives a black screen, but we can help with that if it happens. The Cinnamon edition is probably the nicest looking from Mint, but if it seems sluggish, you might try MATE or XFCE editions. They are a little lighter on resources, but 2GB of RAM should be okay.

During the install (if you haven't finished up yet)... I would also suggest that you NOT check the selections for LVM or anything for encrypting a folder or your drive, if you see them. These options are typically better for more advanced users, and only if really needed.

Cheers

Members online