Newbie: Mint Crashed While Installing alongside Win XP on D:\. Now Can't Access D in Windows

First morning off from work, and trying to catch up! :eek::D

The Linux Networking forum seems the logical place to start a new thread regarding your Netgear WiFi USB device. A quick look shows that Linux doesn't do the "WPS" connection method very well, but it may be possible to make your device work with something called ndiswrapper. Anyway, we can explore that in a new thread.

I'm confused about Linux seeing your data on the Samsung.... but Windows didn't? Well, if it ain't broke, let's don't fix it. :D But, by all means, if Linux is giving you access right now to data that is really important to you, please copy it off to another location so that you have redundancy. For really important stuff, I keep 3 copies on different media. (One copy should be stored in another offsite location for maximum protection against theft, fire, flood, etc.... but I fail that test myself.)

Glad you've found your data... that is the best thing so far!:cool::D:D

Cheers

Stan, I worked a compressed schedule in the Semi-conductor industry. 4 twelve hour days on, then 4 days off. Then 3 twelve hour days on and 3 days off. Then that repeated. I actually liked that schedule.

Thanks for the info. And I "can" access the data on the Samsung from the Windows.old file. Duh. That was a momentary lapse of reason.

I'll check out ndswapper and if I can't figure it out, I'll ask for help in a new thread.

More good news than bad, my friend? :p

Yes, so far, but I fully expect to break things. That's how you learn to fix them. :D

Seagates apparently have had some dramas with Linux from the year dot, mostly with external expansion drives but perhaps not limited to that. "Linux seagate problem" generates heaps of references, and one included (back in 2007 admittedly "Seagate snubs Linux".

Well darn. I hate drama. But thanks for looking that up. And no wonder I'm having a hard time installing to the Seagate. Reminds me of my last job where we had a vital piece of equipment that was actually two separate machines, that needed each other to run the manufacturing process we needed, but they didn't "talk" to each other. They both ran their own set of operating instructions, totally independent of each other. Like a marriage gone bad. o_O Can you imagine such a scenario? Sheesh. Get over it. LoL Evidently Seagate and Linux are stuck in that mode too. Too bad for everyone else.

Thanks again for all your help Wiz, I have a couple more questions... but in due time.

Steve

Mine is called a "DuPont schedule"... and I like it too (well, if I have to work). It might be similar to yours, varying between 4-day and 3-day weeks (a 28-day rotation all told). But the big bonus is that the OFF days are arranged such that we get a 7-day "long weekend" in each 28-day cycle. So, it's like a week vacation every month. That's what keeps everyone interested in staying on it, in spite of the long 12-hr shifts. The long weekend is when you see me gabbing the most on here! :D

I'm not sure why I mentioned the Networking forum as the "logical choice" for a new thread for you... I might guess that the Linux hardware forum might be just as logical, if not more so. But no matter. Post anytime, anywhere you like. We'll try to jump in with assistance if needed.

Mine is called a "DuPont schedule"... and I like it too (well, if I have to work). It might be similar to yours, varying between 4-day and 3-day weeks (a 28-day rotation all told). But the big bonus is that the OFF days are arranged such that we get a 7-day "long weekend" in each 28-day cycle. So, it's like a week vacation every month. That's what keeps everyone interested in staying on it, in spite of the long 12-hr shifts. The long weekend is when you see me gabbing the most on here! :D

I'm not sure why I mentioned the Networking forum as the "logical choice" for a new thread for you... I might guess that the Linux hardware forum might be just as logical, if not more so. But no matter. Post anytime, anywhere you like. We'll try to jump in with assistance if needed.

Hey Stan, too late. I already posted in Networking. You have to be fast on the trigger with me. I do everything really fast. Just ask my X wife. LoL

Wow, that's a great schedule. My company merged vacation, sick and holidays into PTO. (personal time off) and we could take that pretty much anytime we wanted. Just call in on that day and say I'm taking a PTO day, and there were no questions asked. If we wanted more than one or two days, they liked us to schedule it, but they were pretty lenient. I actually had more days off in a year than I worked. That was nice.

See you in the trenches... :D

Members online