Newbie: Mint Crashed While Installing alongside Win XP on D:\. Now Can't Access D in Windows

Still on STEP 2

Leave Align To as MiB, Cylinders is for very old computers.

On the right side, leave it as Primary, and file system should be Ext4. Leave the other fields blank for now.

Choose Add (but don't apply changes), and the op will appear at the bottom of GParted as previously.

Let me know when you're done if you can, and then we'll create Swap.

Likewise

STEP 2

With the Partition Table now set up, we'll set up two Partitions, and then install Linux Mint.

Your freshly vacated 1.36 TiB is likely highlighted by default, if not, click it, then right-click and choose New.

This will generate a popup window with several fields to be adjusted with numerals.

Default in first field should be 1 MiB, this is for the Linux equivalent of a File Allocation Table.

The middle will show, in MiB, whatever 1.36 Tib x 1,024 is equal to.

The 3rd field will show zero.

What I want you to do is to use Calculator (in Menu - Accessories) or a notepad to subtract 4,096 from that big figure (this presumes you want to put Swap on).

Enter that revised figure in the middle numeric field and tab or arrow to the next.

The 3rd field will come to 4,096 - this will be your Swap.

Ok, done. I have not executed the operation yet.

Screenshot at 2018-01-27 20-30-12.png

Looking good, m'man :D, and the shot saves me a few words :D

So now, we can right-click the highlighted, unallocated 4 GiB and choose New.

Up comes the popup window, with figures of 0 (zero) 4096 and 0 (zero), leave them as is.

Right side, we choose to leave as Primary Partition, but if you click, you can see Extended and Logical as well. Logical will be greyed out because we would have to make Extended first.

But leave it as Primary (& the, usually self-proclaimed, pundits may go Eek :eek: at this, but I will explain later)

Give File System a click (defaulted to Ext4) and get a long list. Choose linux-swap and then Add.

I probably should have said

Apply all operations (Gentlemen, start your engines)

"Resistance is futile" (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), I'll forgive :p, always happy to see a happy camper.

You'll note the 22.06 GiB "used". If you run a business, you have overheads like power, water, rent &c. This is an overhead. If I was to form a 20 GiB partition, it would likely be 493.32 MiB, under GPT. If you were on GPT it might be less, because GPT is more efficient in most ways, but we can look at that with the Seagate, perhaps.

Mate I reached beer-thirty an hour ago, you might be looking for warm milk and cookies to get to sleep after all the excitement.

Your next mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it (Mission Impossible, hopefully not) is to click or double-click that enticing icon to the left of screen that says install.

I'll read your Post and be back, but I have a couple of brief things to say about the Install.

"Resistance is futile" (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), I'll forgive :p, always happy to see a happy camper.

You'll note the 22.06 GiB "used". If you run a business, you have overheads like power, water, rent &c. This is an overhead. If I was to form a 20 GiB partition, it would likely be 493.32 MiB, under GPT. If you were on GPT it might be less, because GPT is more efficient in most ways, but we can look at that with the Seagate, perhaps.

Mate I reached beer-thirty an hour ago, you might be looking for warm milk and cookies to get to sleep after all the excitement.

Your next mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it (Mission Impossible, hopefully not) is to click or double-click that enticing icon to the left of screen that says install.

I'll read your Post and be back, but I have a couple of brief things to say about the Install.

Sounds great, O'wize one. I was hoping you wouldn't reach for the magic wand. :eek:

And I'm glad we all had a beer, and now I'm having a glass of wine.

One question before I yank the lanyard... should I mount /sda1 and "swapon" /sda2, or will Linux do that during the install?

And yes, I think GPT would be a grand idea for the Seagate.

I'll put this in and then reboot to another Distro, as I am currently on a stick similar to your pen drive, but with 10 bootable linux .iso's on it, and I have enabled this Distro with persistence.

You can either do the install when you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, or do it now, probably take less than 30 mins.

I should say here, for the benefit of The Viewers - Steve's (@Gomad 's) circumstances here are fairly rare, in that he is working from tabula rasa, a cleanslate, with his external HDD (no Windows on it) and not likely the same as yours.

Ask at this Forum if you need help. :)

Steve, if you do the install now, it will likely offer you to encrypt your Home Partition or Folder (I would go with Folder for reasons later)... but don't.

Likewise LVM may or may not be an option, don't.

I'll read your post and be back.

I'll put this in and then reboot to another Distro, as I am currently on a stick similar to your pen drive, but with 10 bootable linux .iso's on it, and I have enabled this Distro with persistence.

You can either do the install when you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, or do it now, probably take less than 30 mins.

I should say here, for the benefit of The Viewers - Steve's (@Gomad 's) circumstances here are fairly rare, in that he is working from tabula rasa, a cleanslate, with his external HDD (no Windows on it) and not likely the same as yours.

Ask at this Forum if you need help. :)

Steve, if you do the install now, it will likely offer you to encrypt your Home Partition or Folder (I would go with Folder for reasons later)... but don't.

Likewise LVM may or may not be an option, don't.

I'll read your post and be back.

Hey buddy, I'm having fun. And I know you have a full plate too, so thanks for hanging with me. I'll do the install tonight, and if I fall asleep watching the little wheel going around, no harm, no foul. I fell asleep during the hockey game the other night after the 1st break and woke up to "AND HE SCORES! COYOTES WIN IN OT! o_O

Ok, I will not encrypt either Home Partition or Folder, nor select LVM as an option. Got it.

And for the record, the WD is an internal HDD and the Seagate is a USB external HDD.

Pulling the ripcord.... now :cool:

One question before I yank the lanyard... should I mount /sda1 and "swapon" /sda2, or will Linux do that during the install?

Linux will likely do both. Mint uses Ubuntu's Ubiquity Installer, and it has a fair amount of AI (artificial intelligence) built into it. If you had Windows on, you would get an offer to install alongside Windows. Just choose Use Entire Disk.

You will get a summary before it installs, if something does not look kosher, go back one. Let it install the bootloader to /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1

Good night nurse :D

I'll wait a while and fry fish elsewhere, and stick in a couple more tips for when you are back on deck.

Good working with you

Wiz

It's great working with you too Wiz, and by golly, it appears I finally have a working Linux installation thanks to you and Stan and CB. Good job! :cool: Thank you for your time and effort tonight, to push through and get this done. I am very grateful for your knowledge and expertise, Wiz. :cool::cool:

I'm looking forward to the pointers before I start updating drivers and kernels and such.

Many good people around here, mate, not just The Three Amigos

you and Stan and CB

You'll meet a number of them over time.;) Before I sign off from this Topic, or when you are on deck next:

Go to Terminal, or Ctrl-Alt-t

Type and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

When you press enter, it will ask for your sudo password, which you chose during install, enter it (there will be no movement for security purposes) and press Enter. You will be rewarded with output saying that the Uncomplicated FireWall has been enabled in real time, and that a small startup script has been generated which will apply each and every time you boot/reboot.

If you also have a firewall at your modem-router ... between the two, you are very safe, and few of us even have need for AV software, although it is available under Linux.

Cheers

Chris

Many good people around here, mate, not just The Three Amigos

You'll meet a number of them over time.;) Before I sign off from this Topic, or when you are on deck next:

Go to Terminal, or Ctrl-Alt-t

Type and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

When you press enter, it will ask for your sudo password, which you chose during install, enter it (there will be no movement for security purposes) and press Enter. You will be rewarded with output saying that the Uncomplicated FireWall has been enabled in real time, and that a small startup script has been generated which will apply each and every time you boot/reboot.

If you also have a firewall at your modem-router ... between the two, you are very safe, and few of us even have need for AV software, although it is available under Linux.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks again Chris. I also sudo apt install gparted. I guess it's time for updates.

Steve

You'll likely have more questions, Steve, even in addition to the intrepid research you perform yourself.

That being likely, we can put this baby (thread) to rest, and by all means start up a new thread in the appropriate section.

Subject title will obviously differ to this one, use keywords eg "Linux Mint 18.3 MATE newly installed - problem with updates" or whatever, you get the picture.

This will both catch the eye of helpers to zoom in, and also that of viewers whom may gain help from reading about your adventures, and it may answer their questions.

Cheers and a big ow-roooooo

jIm6xtf.png

Wiz

Thanks again Wiz. I can't say enough, how grateful I am that you guys are here.The Coyotes logo and howl made my day.

Steve

Wow, nice work guys. I was observing some of your fast paced exchanges, but too many beers (and martinis) rightly kept me from butting in at the time. So I'll butt in now! :D

I used Universal USB Installer to make a Mint 18.3 live USB to follow along. And I wanted to test if "upgrading" the USB stick would carry over to a full install. Like Steve, I had many permission errors with the upgrade process. It finally boiled down to the big list, and I de-selected everything except Firefox and Thunderbird email and let those upgrade. Firefox also threw a permission error like the system files, but Thunderbird did not. In the final installation Firefox did not get an upgraded version, but Thunderbird did... which kind of surprised me. But in what was still a failure (to me) was that I had copied all my settings (Firefox bookmarks, and email setups for numerous accounts) over to the pen drive... and none of that survived the installation (though they worked fine in persistence on the USB). That's not a surprise if you think about it.... those settings are stored in hidden folders in the home folder (.mozilla and .thunderbird)..... but the pen drive was /home/mint and on my hard drive install it was my own user account, /home/stan. Because of the many permission errors, it seems pointless to try to upgrade a live Linux USB, even if it were in use as a primary carry-it-in-your-pocket system.

OK, on the extended steps to create partitions and install to Steve's WD hard drive. I followed along today and performed the same steps, but I thought I saw an "oops" moment last night that I can confirm now that I'm sober. :eek::D

After using Gparted to create /dev/sda1 as ext4 and /dev/sda2 as swap, Wizard said you could "Use entire disk" when you began the installation. The wording varies from distro to distro, and "Use entire disk" is, I think, accurate sometimes. With the Mint 18.3 that I just installed, it was "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" instead (with encryption and LVM options). If that is what Steve chose (as I did)... then the installer popped up a window with a warning of the changes that were going to be written to disk.... and it showed "partition #5" going to swap (not #2). This is the default way that Mint sets up a hard drive, with the swap (/dev/sda5) inside of an extended (/dev/sda2), at the end of the hard drive. I saw it on the warning, but Steve likely missed that. And I've now installed Gparted to the new hard drive install and confirmed that the installer started over from scratch and changed what you guys had set up. Of course, to preserve the partitioning you set up, you would have needed to choose the "Something else" option instead of the "Erase disk" option. So, Steve, am I correct that your install went the same?

Whether you want a do-over is up to you. The more times you do this, the more familiar you get, and the faster you get at setting it all up. If you decide to do it over, the "Something else" will need to set a "mount point" manually... something that Mint did automatically when you give it the freedom. And, as Wizard cautioned, that is also the screen where you will need to make the correct choice for where to put the bootloader... /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1.

Oh, one more thing about Gparted.... you can save yourself the trouble of subtracting 4096 from the big number when creating your new partitions. Just TAB (forward) past the big number (or click on the next box for how much free space to leave) and type in 4096 directly. Then you can SHIFT-TAB (backward) or TAB (forward) or click elsewhere in the options and you will see the big number do the subtraction itself.

Cheers

Staff online

Members online