Newbie: Mint Crashed While Installing alongside Win XP on D:\. Now Can't Access D in Windows

Hi, re #76 through #78, short answer is:

You can use an MBR-partitioned HDD with BIOS; you can use a GPT-partitioned HDD with BIOS; you can use a GPT-partitioned HDD with UEFI; you cannot use an MBR-partitioned HDD with UEFI. If the firmware in your computer has an option to select BIOS mode (some firmware manufacturers refer to this as ‘Compatibility Support Module’ or ‘Legacy Mode’) instead of UEFI and you want to use an MBR on the HDD, you will have to use BIOS. In summary, for Linux your options are BIOS-MBR, BIOS-GPT or UEFI-GPT.

And don't ever use "UEFI-BIOS" like some manufacturers do, or I'll turn you into a toad. BIOS and UEFI are firmware standards. (MSDOS-)MBR and GPT are formatting standards.

Guys just an FYI (might put something on my profile) - I have major commitments next 3 weeks, selling our old house to pay off the new, and I am doing the legal paperwork, so I could be in and out.

I can give you some reading material, and I'll help as best I can, and after mid-Feb, I'll be let loose and run amok (as usual). :eek:

Cheers

Wiz

I surely will be careful not to invoke the "wizard toad command!" :) I'll digest what you're written, and do some research.

If you got carpel tunnel from clicking "likes" wait until you sign all the paperwork to sell your house. Yikes.

No problem on the time frame. We're all just having fun at this point, right? No rush at all.

Mornin' Stan. I did not know that a HD can float. But I do know that if your pager goes off and you throw it in the toilet, you can still hear it. :mad:

Thanks for the compliments, but my X-wife would probably not agree that I'm tolerant, good natured and kind-hearted. LoL

If I understand correctly from what I've been reading, UEFI needs to somehow run firmware from an EEPROM, as BIOS does, (but I haven't figured out how it does this yet) and bootup points to a file that launches the OS kernel, without having to initialize every piece of hardware first as BIOS does. If that's true, I can imagine bootup being almost instantaneous. GPT appeaers to be a partition format that needs UEFI to access fstab in Linux, which I believe lists all available disk partitions and other types of file systems and data sources that are not necessarily disk-based, and indicates how they are to be initialized or otherwise integrated into the larger file system structure. But like I said, I have to see all the pieces of a puzzle before this will make sense to me, so I have lots more research to do. How to get UEFI and GPT to run without flashing the BIOS and replacing it with UEFI, is the answer Wiz must have. Maybe he just waves his magic wand? It must be great to be a wizard. :cool:

They say that cell phones float even better than hard drives. I think it's some kind of "technology value relationship"... the more it costs, the better it floats. :confused::eek::eek::D

Yes, you've been studying... good! BIOS and UEFI are EEPROM (or EEPROM-like... they are flashable for updates) and they are a chip on the motherboard. When booting, their first task is the POST (Power On Self Test), checking what peripherals are attached, RAM is okay, etc... basically a simple hardware checkup. UEFI is somewhat more than that... and probably more than I even know. But the big deal (problem) for Linux users is a specification in UEFI, required by Microsoft to OEM's pre-installing Windows, for a feature called "Secure Boot". I'll probably describe this wrong, or poorly, but I think it is some sort of "digitally signed and encrypted certificate" encoded in the UEFI chip. With Secure Boot enabled, as UEFI passes control of the boot procedure to Windows, it certifies that the hardware has not been infiltrated by malware (known as rootkits). This is at least partly desired because anti-virus programs can't check the hardware or have any knowledge of things before Windows and the AV program starts. I apologize if this is not quite accurate... just trying to give a short summary of this "feature".

You might see the problem already.... Linux developers did not have this "signed encrypted certificate" and it looked like a method to exclude Linux installations. Luckily, most (not all) UEFI settings will allow Secure Boot to be disabled. And that has been the "easy way" for many people to install Linux on newer computers. The big Linux developers (Red Hat, Canonical - who makes Ubuntu, SUSE, and maybe others) have either paid Microsoft for the encrypted certificate or have found workarounds so that many Linux distributions can now install with Secure Boot still enabled. But not all, so there are still many distros that will require Secure Boot to be disabled... and if you have a UEFI that doesn't allow that, then you're out of luck for that distro. Again, just shooting for a short summary here, and may not be exactly accurate.

So, I will be anxious to see Wizard's instructions on using GPT with BIOS as his schedule allows. Besides this little netbook, I also have a desktop that I can use for those tests. And with your willingness to experiment here, you may have time to fix and break your system again many times over before he is ready to begin that lesson.

I think you said you get the GRUB screen before it fails and drops to the (initramfs) prompt... is that right? If so, that gives us some opportunity to try changing some startup options. I don't know all the differences between MATE and Cinnamon, but you might try to put the "nomodeset" (without quotes) option in like before. At the GRUB screen, hit "e" to edit, but this time add nomodeset after the "quiet splash". I think you need CNTL X or F10 to boot using the added setting (and don't remember if you did that before, or if you just hit Enter it might not have accepted the edit). If that still fails as before, then reboot and get back to the GRUB screen, again "e" to edit, and add this after the "quiet splash": "nouveau.noaccel=1" (without the quotes). Then CNTL-X or F10 to try the boot. If not, we can keep Googling for other possibilities.

All of this above is how Linux frustrates many people (including me sometimes). So remember that you don't have to let this search for a solution trouble you.... it only takes about 20-30 minutes for you to do a clean re-install if you would rather get back to a working MATE system (not sure if Cinnamon will install cleanly for you now, but you could try it also if you want to). When you have a working system again, I would ask if there were other nVidia drivers available? Or just the 304? Sometimes, when there are choices, it might be that a different one will work, even if 304 was the recommended one.

Well, I don't want to go any further until we see if these tricks worked, or what you want to do next.

Hi all

...to access fstab in Linux, which I believe lists all available disk partitions and other types of file systems and data sources that are not necessarily disk-based, and indicates how they are to be initialized or otherwise integrated into the larger file system structure.

Not necessarily all, this is very Distro-specific, depending on how the Devs (developers) "train" fstab to function within the system.

Below are two screenshots of my fstabs, from the 25 or so on this Toshiba Satellite.

kEmpfLF.png

Screenshot 1 - fstab content, Ubuntu 16.04.3 'Xenial Xerus' Unity

Note all the instructional comments by the programmers (#'es), so there are only two (2) working lines in there. Of interest is that two (2) of the hashes were actually added during the install, and they are the last two. One says my root partition, on which Ubuntu is housed, was /dev/sda12. The other says that my ESP (EFI System Partition) was on /dev/sda2.

If you have a separate Swap partition and it was chosen during install, this would appear as well, making it 3 working lines, mine would be /dev/sda3, 4 gigs, but I usually do not use Swap, so it is not there.

kwrrM40.png

Screenshot 2 - fstab content, Debian 9.3 'Stretch' Cinnamon DE

...very short and sweet by Ian Murdock's people. Same two working lines for root and ESP, but also adds my optical medium, /dev/sr0.

So many Linux File Systems Tables (fstab) have things in common, and things different.

BTW - with Stan's nomodeset option, you could also try putting a "no" in front of each of quiet and splash, that is

Code:
noquiet nosplash

This should bypass the splash screen on the way to login, and spool out output on what is being loaded and if you are quick enough you can pick up on warnings and errors, although these can also be determined from logs.

Gotta go for a while, back with more when I can.

Wizard

They say that cell phones float even better than hard drives. I think it's some kind of "technology value relationship"... the more it costs, the better it floats. :confused::eek::eek::D

Yes, you've been studying... good! BIOS and UEFI are EEPROM (or EEPROM-like... they are flashable for updates) and they are a chip on the motherboard. When booting, their first task is the POST (Power On Self Test), checking what peripherals are attached, RAM is okay, etc... basically a simple hardware checkup. UEFI is somewhat more than that... and probably more than I even know. But the big deal (problem) for Linux users is a specification in UEFI, required by Microsoft to OEM's pre-installing Windows, for a feature called "Secure Boot". I'll probably describe this wrong, or poorly, but I think it is some sort of "digitally signed and encrypted certificate" encoded in the UEFI chip. With Secure Boot enabled, as UEFI passes control of the boot procedure to Windows, it certifies that the hardware has not been infiltrated by malware (known as rootkits). This is at least partly desired because anti-virus programs can't check the hardware or have any knowledge of things before Windows and the AV program starts. I apologize if this is not quite accurate... just trying to give a short summary of this "feature".

You might see the problem already.... Linux developers did not have this "signed encrypted certificate" and it looked like a method to exclude Linux installations. Luckily, most (not all) UEFI settings will allow Secure Boot to be disabled. And that has been the "easy way" for many people to install Linux on newer computers. The big Linux developers (Red Hat, Canonical - who makes Ubuntu, SUSE, and maybe others) have either paid Microsoft for the encrypted certificate or have found workarounds so that many Linux distributions can now install with Secure Boot still enabled. But not all, so there are still many distros that will require Secure Boot to be disabled... and if you have a UEFI that doesn't allow that, then you're out of luck for that distro. Again, just shooting for a short summary here, and may not be exactly accurate.

So, I will be anxious to see Wizard's instructions on using GPT with BIOS as his schedule allows. Besides this little netbook, I also have a desktop that I can use for those tests. And with your willingness to experiment here, you may have time to fix and break your system again many times over before he is ready to begin that lesson.

I think you said you get the GRUB screen before it fails and drops to the (initramfs) prompt... is that right? If so, that gives us some opportunity to try changing some startup options. I don't know all the differences between MATE and Cinnamon, but you might try to put the "nomodeset" (without quotes) option in like before. At the GRUB screen, hit "e" to edit, but this time add nomodeset after the "quiet splash". I think you need CNTL X or F10 to boot using the added setting (and don't remember if you did that before, or if you just hit Enter it might not have accepted the edit). If that still fails as before, then reboot and get back to the GRUB screen, again "e" to edit, and add this after the "quiet splash": "nouveau.noaccel=1" (without the quotes). Then CNTL-X or F10 to try the boot. If not, we can keep Googling for other possibilities.

All of this above is how Linux frustrates many people (including me sometimes). So remember that you don't have to let this search for a solution trouble you.... it only takes about 20-30 minutes for you to do a clean re-install if you would rather get back to a working MATE system (not sure if Cinnamon will install cleanly for you now, but you could try it also if you want to). When you have a working system again, I would ask if there were other nVidia drivers available? Or just the 304? Sometimes, when there are choices, it might be that a different one will work, even if 304 was the recommended one.

Well, I don't want to go any further until we see if these tricks worked, or what you want to do next.

Stan and Wiz, thanks for your comments. I need to do some more research on MBR. I started out searching for GPT and had a dozen windows open because I only got as far as a few sentences when a new word lead me to research that, and after a few sentences I had to keep looking up something else. I didn't get to MBR before it got to be beer-thirty and who can argue with beer-thirty? :)

It's probably best to hold off playing with UEFI and GPT until I get a reasonably good working Linux install and learn how to recover from the crashes. I have enough on my plate right now with that.

I'll try a couple of things you and Wiz suggested and let you know how it goes.

I would also be interested in learning how to access the log files. When I updated the kernel I saw a lot of errors in the terminal window...something about not finding utf8? (as I recall, among others) which caused the update to hang for several minutes at least 3 times while it thought about that utf8 thing. But eventually it chugged on. Wouldn't the log files be a vaulable troubleshooting tool?

Well, this is interesting. I powered down and unplugged the Samsung, plugged in the pen drive and rebooted. Everything went fine. The green LM logo appeared, then "booting in 10, 9, 8," so I hit the shift key and the GRUB menu popped up. I think it's the GRUB menu anyway... gives me 6 options: "Start MATE 64 bit" "Start in Compatibility Mode" "OEM Install" "Integrity Check" "Memory Test" "Boot from local drive."

I thought what the heck, and selected "Start MATE 64 bit." I saw a white screen for a few seconds with a blinking cursor in the top left corner, then "Linux Mint 18.3" with the four dots beneath this text for 10 seconds or so, then Mint opened. No, that's not a typo.

I clicked around, and there was no sound, and nothing would open... I tried Terminal, Driver Manager, Firefox. I got the little wheel going around for a few seconds then disappeared. After a few mintes of this, I notice 3 icons on the desktop: Computer, Mint's Home and Install Linux Mint. I clicked on "Computer" and it opened, so I tried Terminal again and it opened this time. Then I tried Gparted and it opened and looked normal. But Firefox would not open.

I opened Driver Manager and it has always offered two different nVidia drivers, but I had slected the recommended one, 340 before the crash. I selected the other one, 304 and after perhaps 30 seconds, indicated that 304 was now in use. It also offered to update my processor's micro code, but I read somewhere not to do that. I didn't try to reboot with the different video driver installed, because I wanted to relay what was going on, and when Mint came up, I was rather taken aback. I'll try rebooting again and see what happens and let you know. I'm back on Windows, but curiously my system clock and date are wrong now in Windows. I think it reverted to the default server time in Mint.

Sounds good to me, mate.....just keep plugging along......remember, Keep It Simple ......

I'm baaaaaack. :p

Booted rignt into Mint, and Firefox opened this time. I forgot to mention that I have the MATE "menu" but everything else seems to be Mint. Even headers in the different apps I opened. They all say Mint at the top.

When Driver Manager opens it says I'm running the nVidia 340 driver so the change to 304 didn't take place, and Driver Manager reports that the update cache did not load, or refresh, I can't remember exactly, but indicated this was a serious failure. Then the screen flickered multi-color checkered boxes for a couple seconds before going dark. Very dark, because I had to power down.

Are we having fun now? :D

Actuallyl I'm amused. My father told me when I was a boy that our family name was cursed. I said "what do you mean dad? He said " you'll find out." And I have. LoL Some things in life never change. Maybe Wiz can cast a spell or something? ha!

Just a thought... I originally tried to install Mint to the WD, which failed, remember? But there is now an ext4 partition there, and another one I added, with free space, formatted to ext4 while playing around with Gparted. (There's a screen shot back a page or so). :confused:

PS, just had a brain phart. I'm going to unplug the WD and see what happens with just the pen drive installed... C ya..

No change with the WD unplugged. The error in Update Manager was actually: Failed to load package list. Package cache file corrupted. I think it's beer thirty. :cool:

Just read your comment re troubleshooting tool. No doubt Wiz will have something to say on that subject...However, my approach to troubleshooting is make use of Timeshift.

Wiz has a tutorial on this site about that very subject.

For my needs.....go to settings and ensure that one backup is made daily, also one weekly, and one monthly. I also back up the boot.

Thats it. I will engage in a certain amount of troubleshooting...but after a while I feel like I am chasing rabbits down bottomless holes....So....Timeshift. I choose a backup which has been made prior to the stuff up of course.
Once in a while when the pc is running SUPERBLY......I will open timeshift and create a backup......and I will GIVE IT A NAME in the comments column.

Thats troubleshooting, Condopbloke style.

In update manager, click on "view"....then 'update sources......
update.png

........then do a single click on the main mirror.....in my case it is http://mirror.Ox.sg/linuxmint

a list of servers/mirrors will appear and will slowly start to show their speeds.

Wait for the list to finish populating and then choose the fastest (usually at the top),

Repeat these steps with the Base mirror.....and then click APPLY

When all finished ...click on "update the cache"

That may help with the ""Driver Manager reports that the update cache did not load, or refresh""

You can have a beer at the same time ! :)

Crikey, a Wizard goes and does the fortnightly shopping and then he has heaps to read when he comes back o_O

... and the bloke from Condobolin in north-western New South Wales is good value ... he can tell you sometime of his choosing about his epithany in converting from Windows to Linux :D. I'll tell a tale out of school and say that he is going to be a septuagenarian in April, living proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks :rolleyes:

It's probably best to hold off playing with UEFI and GPT until I get a reasonably good working Linux install and learn how to recover from the crashes. I have enough on my plate right now with that.

Sounds reasonable. Some pundits recommend getting to know one Linux thoroughly, and one environment thoroughly, before going Distro Surfing, and likewise perhaps with the GPT cf MBR approach. You are the driver behind the wheel that is your computer, so you make the calls, and we will try to accommodate that. Take it in your own time, and we've got your back if you are in need. :eek:

Are we having fun now? :D

We always have fun, it's comedy capers ;)... and you get some of the best corkers (problems).

I would also be interested in learning how to access the log files. ... Wouldn't the log files be a vaulable troubleshooting tool?

1. Good attitude, and 2. Yes.

If you open your File Manager (Caja in MATE, Nemo in Cinnamon, Dolphin in KDE, and Files [aka Nautilus] in Ubuntu Unity and Ubuntu GNOME), you can click File System or Computer (varies) and tunnel to /var/log. Most of the logs are stored here, and syslog is one of the most commonly used. Not sure what happens with a Live Medium (pen drive or DVD), they might be created on the fly, stored in RAM, and then lost when the session ends, unless you have Persistence enabled on a USB stick.

Some of the logs can be thousands of lines long, and we have ways of isolating the relevant, most recent part, using a Terminal option called "tail", eg "... tail 300" will print the last 300 lines, &c.

I forgot to mention that I have the MATE "menu" but everything else seems to be Mint. Even headers in the different apps I opened. They all say Mint at the top.

Mint and MATE (pron. mar-tay) are two different things - Mint is Linux Mint, a Distro. MATE is one of the DEs (Desktop Environments) used with LInux Mint. Mint has DEs MATE, Cinnamon (their own invention, now used by some other Distros), KDE and Xfce to choose from.

You can read about DEs here - https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

And my Timeshift Tute can be found here - https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... if I can get away from gasbagging with you blokes, I'll get a couple more Posts added to it this afternoon. ;)

Wizard

Just read your comment re troubleshooting tool. No doubt Wiz will have something to say on that subject...However, my approach to troubleshooting is make use of Timeshift.

Wiz has a tutorial on this site about that very subject.

For my needs.....go to settings and ensure that one backup is made daily, also one weekly, and one monthly. I also back up the boot.

Thats it. I will engage in a certain amount of troubleshooting...but after a while I feel like I am chasing rabbits down bottomless holes....So....Timeshift. I choose a backup which has been made prior to the stuff up of course.
Once in a while when the pc is running SUPERBLY......I will open timeshift and create a backup......and I will GIVE IT A NAME in the comments column.

Thats troubleshooting, Condopbloke style.

I agree about chasing rabbits. I think timeshift will be a good idea once I get Linux running well and figure out now to interpret the logs.

In update manager, click on "view"....then 'update sources......
update.png

........then do a single click on the main mirror.....in my case it is http://mirror.Ox.sg/linuxmint

a list of servers/mirrors will appear and will slowly start to show their speeds.

Wait for the list to finish populating and then choose the fastest (usually at the top),

Repeat these steps with the Base mirror.....and then click APPLY

When all finished ...click on "update the cache"

That may help with the ""Driver Manager reports that the update cache did not load, or refresh""

You can have a beer at the same time ! :)

Thanks for the tip. I have seen this screen but didn't kick the tires. I'll give this a try.

Crikey, a Wizard goes and does the fortnightly shopping and then he has heaps to read when he comes back o_O

... and the bloke from Condobolin in north-western New South Wales is good value ... he can tell you sometime of his choosing about his epithany in converting from Windows to Linux :D. I'll tell a tale out of school and say that he is going to be a septuagenarian in April, living proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks :rolleyes:

Sounds reasonable. Some pundits recommend getting to know one Linux thoroughly, and one environment thoroughly, before going Distro Surfing, and likewise perhaps with the GPT cf MBR approach. You are the driver behind the wheel that is your computer, so you make the calls, and we will try to accommodate that. Take it in your own time, and we've got your back if you are in need. :eek:

We always have fun, it's comedy capers ;)... and you get some of the best corkers (problems).

1. Good attitude, and 2. Yes.

If you open your File Manager (Caja in MATE, Nemo in Cinnamon, Dolphin in KDE, and Files [aka Nautilus] in Ubuntu Unity and Ubuntu GNOME), you can click File System or Computer (varies) and tunnel to /var/log. Most of the logs are stored here, and syslog is one of the most commonly used. Not sure what happens with a Live Medium (pen drive or DVD), they might be created on the fly, stored in RAM, and then lost when the session ends, unless you have Persistence enabled on a USB stick.

Some of the logs can be thousands of lines long, and we have ways of isolating the relevant, most recent part, using a Terminal option called "tail", eg "... tail 300" will print the last 300 lines, &c.

Mint and MATE (pron. mar-tay) are two different things - Mint is Linux Mint, a Distro. MATE is one of the DEs (Desktop Environments) used with LInux Mint. Mint has DEs MATE, Cinnamon (their own invention, now used by some other Distros), KDE and Xfce to choose from.

You can read about DEs here - https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

And my Timeshift Tute can be found here - https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... if I can get away from gasbagging with you blokes, I'll get a couple more Posts added to it this afternoon. ;)

Wizard

Thanks Wizard. I had to search for New South Wales. I sure would like to visit Australia. I've been to Germany, Southeast Asia and Thailand, and I can't think of any country I would rather visit.

My plan is to get one version of Linux running well, and maybe pick up a second inexpensive system to use as a playground for other distros. By then I'll be ready to dive into UEFI/GPT.

Thanks for the info on logs. Not that I'll glean anything from them in my blissful ignorance about Linux, but I'll check them out.

Very enlightening info about Mint being the Distro, while MATE, KDE and Xfce are desktop environments. I didn't know that. I'm sure I read that, but it didn't really sink in. The more pieces of the puzzle I see, the more I understans. That's why I was baffled when Mint started showing up everywhere after I installed MATE 64 bit. LoL DUH! :confused:

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out, but I have a hockey game to watch in 15 minutes so I won't get anything done tonight. I also bookmarked the link you posted to the Linux on-line course that I'm anxious to take.

Thanks again for your help, Wizard.

Hey all, I decided to just to do a clean install of Mint MATE 64 bit, to the pen drive. Too many goofy things going on. I took a C++ course, circa 1996, (didn't really enjoy it, too tedious) so I have a rudimentary understanding of how code works, and I know that corrupt code can lead to unseen ramifications that show up in areas they shouldn't. So with all the corrupt caches and stuff, I'm starting over with a fresh install. Which I have just completed, and I'm running from MATE now.

So far, I've adjusted date and time, then set up the Firewall, then updated the Package Manager, then installed video and sound codecs. I left the generic video driver alone. It's working fine, and as we know the nVidia drivers cause boot issues with my legacy system. Video looks great, and I can watch hockey games, so it's all good in that regard.

I then opened Update Manager and got an error about not being able to update the cache because I'm not connected to the Internet. But when I clicked ok, it updated the cache and listed a gaggle of level 2 updates, one level 3 update, and 2 level 4 updates; (the kernel and libc). I opened preferences and set them to "just keep my system safe" then refreshed the cache. All of the level 2 updates were pre-selected, so I "installed updates" then rebooted. Then installed the level 3 update, and rebooted. Then the kernel update, and rebooted. Then the libc update then rebooted, and other than a list of errors flashing by on boot-up, it's running ok as far as I can tell.

Here's a screen shot of Driver Manager. It appears that it isn't seeing my processor, and when I updated the kernel, I kept seeing errors about not being able to find a device, and I'm wondering if this is related.

Screenshot at 2018-01-26 19-44-37.png

I kept getting the following errors every time it completed installing updates. It appears that I don't have permissions set up properly for some updates. Maybe I should note that I was never prompted to make a password during the install, if that has any bearing on the subject.

Screenshot at 2018-01-26 20-08-47.png

Thanks everyone again for your help. I could never do this without you, and another newbie mentioned that he felt like he needed to pay you for all the free help. I am very grateful myself, so thank you all again, and especially for your patience. I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I think, at this point, with this Distro seemingly running without any obvious hiccups, other than the errors I've mentioned, if you pros think this Distro is running well enough to copy to a HD and work from it without too much playing around, (email, News, movies, hockey games; And of course, setting up Timeshift to backup regularly as @Condobloke suggested), then I would like to:

1. Try and get the 1.5 TB WD drive working and then install MATE there, on perhaps one of 3 partitions. (I'm not concerned about preserving or restoring any data)

2. Try and get the USB Seagate 2TB working for Timeshift backups and storage, with 2 partitions. (not concerned about preserving or restoring data)

3. Set up the new 1.0 TB WD with perhaps 3 partitions, (300, 300, 300 GB) as a test bed for playing with the different Distros.

Does that sound workable?

The error you received is a known bug. Wiz may know more. No need for panic.

,,.....and btw...you have done remarkably well. :)

Yellow (hello)

Steve, #94 sounds like a good plan :p

The WD could do with a little work on it. Where the swap is placed on the Extended Partition /dev/sda2, as a Logical Partition /dev/sda5, limits your options as to what you can use those large amounts of space under /devs sda1 and sda3.

sda1 has 21.4 GiB consumed (remind me if that is a Linux), and sda3 has 368.39 GiB, also with a Linux on it, by the looks, taking up a little less than 6GiB.

I might have to wander back through this 5 pages (lol) and get a better idea on the state of the nation.

You can use GParted to carve back space from either of sda1 or sda3, and make an sda4, if you like. But we can't create another Extended Partition while sda2 exists.

We can eliminate the Swap, and then the sda2 (not so scarey), if you want to. I install without swap all the time. We have other options to create a swap file if needed, and even "swap on the fly". A lot of users will not know about this.

Most important is to keep the availability of the hockey in place, lol. I played hockey for a year in Grade 5 at Primary school and loved it, and you likely know how well our Aussie Women do at Olympic level.

But maybe you are talking ice hockey, yeah?

Cheers

Wiz

The error you received is a known bug. Wiz may know more. No need for panic.

,,.....and btw...you have done remarkably well. :)

Thanks for the encouragement CB.

Are you referring to the "permissions" errors I keep getting after each update, as the known bug?

Yellow (hello)

Steve, #94 sounds like a good plan :p

The WD could do with a little work on it. Where the swap is placed on the Extended Partition /dev/sda2, as a Logical Partition /dev/sda5, limits your options as to what you can use those large amounts of space under /devs sda1 and sda3.

sda1 has 21.4 GiB consumed (remind me if that is a Linux), and sda3 has 368.39 GiB, also with a Linux on it, by the looks, taking up a little less than 6GiB.

I might have to wander back through this 5 pages (lol) and get a better idea on the state of the nation.

You can use GParted to carve back space from either of sda1 or sda3, and make an sda4, if you like. But we can't create another Extended Partition while sda2 exists.

We can eliminate the Swap, and then the sda2 (not so scarey), if you want to. I install without swap all the time. We have other options to create a swap file if needed, and even "swap on the fly". A lot of users will not know about this.

Most important is to keep the availability of the hockey in place, lol. I played hockey for a year in Grade 5 at Primary school and loved it, and you likely know how well our Aussie Women do at Olympic level.

But maybe you are talking ice hockey, yeah?

Cheers

Wiz

Thanks Wiz. What do you think about reformatting the entire drive (/dev/sda WD 1.5 TB) and then starting over with all new partitions? There's probably nothing there recoverable and I like the idea of starting with a clean slate. This is the HDD which I had originally tried to install Mint, and this drive was previously running my original Win 7 install when the Windows update rendered this drive inoperable. Windows does not recognize this drive at all.

I'm a little fuzzy still on drive terminology. I plan on doing a lot of studying the next couple of days, which I have off work, so logical and extended partitions are still somewhat of a mystery to me when considering their functions. I'll try and bring myself up to speed on that today.

I added a partition to /sda as a learning exercise, and that's when (I believe) the Linux swap file showed up, and /sda3 and /sda5, but the swap file might have appeared after the failed Mint install. I'll have to look back through my screen shots to determine if that is true, but again, there's nothing on this drive that I really care about keeping, so if we can wipe it clean and start over, that sounds like a good idea to me. How about you?

"edit" I would like to do this same thing with the USB Samsung 2 TB HDD, and use it as a backup. It's unplugged at the moment. Maybe I can try this on my own after we've finished with /sda to solidify it in my mind. I'm a hands on kind of guy. (just ask my old girlfriends) ha!

Last edited: