Newbie: Mint Crashed While Installing alongside Win XP on D:\. Now Can't Access D in Windows

Hey Steve! I may be too late (not a big deal) but Wizard developed a method to "verify" that your USB used a good .iso. But now that you have a handle on the process, it will be easier to use the regular method as you are now on your way to do.

OK... we will write off the data losses to Mr. Gates and his evil brood, and move on. Question any steps as we go if you have any uncertainty, but I'll try to explain things (with way too many words, as usual, probably).

You've been running on the Linux USB and it seems fine. You will have it verified shortly which gives even more confidence. We will use that to install the same Linux Mint on to the WD drive. And you want to install other Linux distros on to the same drive a little later.... can do. We're going to have to get you familiar with the Linux installer, or Gparted, or both, so that you become intimate with partitions and drive assignments. You will soon teach this class! :cool::D

Let's do this "the easy way" first. This could be your final and finished Mint installation, or we can remove and do-over to explore this process more fully so you understand it all better.

I'd unplug your GoFlex drive for now, and I think all the other hard drives are unplugged... so just the WD will be available. We will boot on the Linux USB, double-click the Install Linux Mint icon on the desktop, and have it use the entire WD hard disk to install Linux Mint. I just ran through a quick install, so if I took good notes, there are only 7 steps:

1. Pick and language. Click continue.

2. Connect to wireless network (not required for install). Click continue.

3. Install 3rd party software. Usually a good idea, so check the box and click continue.

4. Installation Type: choose "Erase disk and install Mint" then click the Install Now button. Do not select encryption or LVM. On another install later (if I can get you to do-over) we will go for "something else" at this stage. But the "easy way" is just to erase disk and do a full install. This lets you skip the SWAP questions and where to put the bootloader.

5. Pick your Time Zone and click continue.

6. Pick your keyboard layouts and click continue.

7. Who are you? Enter your first name (with a capital letter), and it will automatically fill in the user name with a lower case letter... normal. The computer name is what would be seen on a local home network, but it also shows up in your command line as user@computer.... so a short name here is nice, like hp, dell, acer, or can be anything you want. Enter your password and then again to confirm it. I choose to log in automatically here at home, but if you don't choose this you will have to enter your password every time you boot and log on. Do not encrypt the home folder. Click continue.

And.... wait for it. When finished, it will prompt you to remove the USB and restart. It should boot up on Mint without using your BIOS Boot Menu. Fingers crossed! :D:D

Thanks Stan. The more words, the better. I'm all ears.

Instructions are straight forward and understandable. I'll power down and unplug the GoFlex, (Seagate) and start the process when I get back. I think I selected "something else" last time I tried this, but easy works for me.

Back soon...

Well, my luck hasn't improved. The install app says it completed successfully, and it gave me the option to keep working with mint, or reboot. I selected reboot, and it booted back to the pen drive. So I shut down, pulled the pen drive and rebooted again. It tried to boot from the WD and I saw a mint logo for a few seconds, then a blinking red cursor then red text:

Bustbox V1.22,1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15 Ubuntu1) Built in shell (Ash). Enter help for list of built in commands

(initrames) --

It hung at this prompt, keyboard and mouse inop, I had to manually power down.

I'm running from the pen drive now.

Here's a screen shot of Gparted.

Screenshot from 2018-01-22 11-17-09.png

Here's a screen shot of Gparted.

Well, l'm surprised! The Gparted shows exactly how it should look though, so I'm confident too that you went through all the steps without any issues. Hmmm! Let me go Google the error a bit and we'll see if anything pops up. It might be graphics related... I think I mentioned before that I seem to see more trouble with Cinnamon than with Mate.

As a secondary question, what do you think about downloading the Mint Mate version and trying it out? The install steps are exactly the same, and of course you should take the time to do the "verify" on it before installing.

This is all good learning for you though, in spite of the frustrations. :eek::D

Well, l'm surprised! The Gparted shows exactly how it should look though, so I'm confident too that you went through all the steps without any issues. Hmmm! Let me go Google the error a bit and we'll see if anything pops up. It might be graphics related... I think I mentioned before that I seem to see more trouble with Cinnamon than with Mate.

As a secondary question, what do you think about downloading the Mint Mate version and trying it out? The install steps are exactly the same, and of course you should take the time to do the "verify" on it before installing.

This is all good learning for you though, in spite of the frustrations. :eek::D

Yes it is good learning and thank you for sticking with it. I "was" married for a very long time so I'm used to frustration. o_O

I was going to ask if perhaps I should install Mate instead of Mint, if that distro would work better for me. I did have a problem installing the 304 nVidia driver, and I thought I reverted to the generic driver that Mint loaded on original install, but Driver Manager now says I'm running proprietary nVidia 304 so it could be that. I have played with this distro for awhile, and I see some "cash" errors and others with ascii scrolling by on bootup, so there could be some compatibility issues that it's having a hard time resolving during the install.

So how is it best to switch to Mate? Reformat the pen drive and start over with the Mate .iso? (and yes, I will verify this time before installing) :cool: I don't have anything saved in Mint except a few Firefox bookmarks, which I can easily re-enter. Now that I understand drives in Linux, I can probably get it working well on the pen drive rather quickly, install updates/upgrades and then try the install to /sda. What do you think?

Regardless, my dogs have been driving me nuts to take them for a walk all morning, so I'll be back in an hour or so and check back in here. And thanks again for all your help Stan. :cool:

Here is a quick check... but you'll probably need to write down the steps:

1. Shut down computer and remove pen drive.

2. Boot up on WD Linux Mint. (Expecting the same failure as before)

3. At the (initramfs) prompt, first type exit and hit enter

4. I'm then expecting a response something like this (might be slightly different):
The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck.

5. At the (initramfs) prompt, type fsck /dev/sda1 -y and hit enter. (make sure you match what it responded with above, whether just sda, or sda1, or whatever it showed. Note the space between fsck and /dev/sda1 and between /dev/sda1 and the -y option. After hitting enter, it may take awhile... it is doing a filesystem check (fsck).

6. When that finishes, at the (initramfs) prompt, type reboot and hit enter.

There may be one more response from the system, something like this: To boot “LM18.1C64” when “GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.8” shows, select: Ubuntu --- I'm not quite sure how that will present itself, but you're looking to make Ubuntu your choice (because Mint is based on Ubuntu, so many things are interrelated).

Here is a quick check... but you'll probably need to write down the steps:

1. Shut down computer and remove pen drive.

2. Boot up on WD Linux Mint. (Expecting the same failure as before)

3. At the (initramfs) prompt, first type exit and hit enter

4. I'm then expecting a response something like this (might be slightly different):
The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck.

5. At the (initramfs) prompt, type fsck /dev/sda1 -y and hit enter. (make sure you match what it responded with above, whether just sda, or sda1, or whatever it showed. Note the space between fsck and /dev/sda1 and between /dev/sda1 and the -y option. After hitting enter, it may take awhile... it is doing a filesystem check (fsck).

6. When that finishes, at the (initramfs) prompt, type reboot and hit enter.

There may be one more response from the system, something like this: To boot “LM18.1C64” when “GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.8” shows, select: Ubuntu --- I'm not quite sure how that will present itself, but you're looking to make Ubuntu your choice (because Mint is based on Ubuntu, so many things are interrelated).

Thanks Stan. I just saw this. I'll be back in an hour or so and print this out and give it a shot. :cool:

Take your time, enjoy the walk with the dogs, and let it help clear your mind a bit. I eat this stuff up like candy, but I know its more tiring and challenging for other folks. I've been married for 32 years (to this one) so I'm pretty familiar with frustrations too! :D:D

I do suspect nVidia issues too. Of course its funny to work on the pen drive and not on the hard drive, but stuff happens. You can try the little trick above, to see if it kickstarts it for you, or give Mate a try. Yes, you could put it on your pen drive and then go from there. You don't have to format it.... putting a new Linux on there will erase everything for you.

Take your time, enjoy the walk with the dogs, and let it help clear your mind a bit. I eat this stuff up like candy, but I know its more tiring and challenging for other folks. I've been married for 32 years (to this one) so I'm pretty familiar with frustrations too! :D:D

I do suspect nVidia issues too. Of course its funny to work on the pen drive and not on the hard drive, but stuff happens. You can try the little trick above, to see if it kickstarts it for you, or give Mate a try. Yes, you could put it on your pen drive and then go from there. You don't have to format it.... putting a new Linux on there will erase everything for you.

The dogs think the walk is about them but it's all about me. LoL And I enjoy doing this stuff too so no problem.

Here's what I got when I typed "exit."

gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
-- boot args (cat / proc/cmdline)
-- check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
-- check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
--missing modules (cat /proc /modules; ls/dev

ALERT! uuid =c3cd6485 etc... does not exist dropping to shell

Busybox v1.221... etc..

I think Mate may be in my future, unless you have another trick up your sleeve.. :)

Oh, it just occurred to me that I get a GRUB menu when I boot to the WD. Is there anything we can do from there? I've been telling it to boot normally.

Last edited:
The dogs think the walk is about them but it's all about me. LoL And I enjoy doing this stuff too so no problem.

Here's what I got when I typed "exit."

gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
-- boot args (cat / proc/cmdline)
-- check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
-- check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
--missing modules (cat /proc /modules; ls/dev

ALERT! uuid =c3cd6485 etc... does not exist dropping to shell

Busybox v1.221... etc..

I think Mate may be in my future, unless you have another trick up your sleeve.. :)

Well, there may be many tricks available, but it can get tiring to get to the right one. Usually, running a distro in "live mode" like you are with Cinnamon, helps to ensure a good installation, so I really expected success earlier. But sometimes, seeking the path of least resistance can save time and energy. If you don't mind a quick trial of Mint Mate, then give it a go and let's see what it does. You see how easy the install steps are... and I'd sure like to see you get a working Linux... one where everything goes as it should.

Oh, it just occurred to me that I get a GRUB menu when I boot to the WD. Is there anything we can do from there?

Yes, possibly. When you're at the GRUB screen, I think you need to hit "e" (for edit mode).... and then use the arrow keys to cursor around until you see "quiet" and "splash". Insert the word "nomodeset" in between them (no quotes, just spaces as needed). That's a possible fix, but there are other "tricks" in the GRUB world too.

"nomodeset" is a life-saver for a different video problem (a black screen)... so it may not help your case. But it jumped into my head first off without thinking. I'll look around for other possibilities to see if other things seem more appropriate.

Yes, possibly. When you're at the GRUB screen, I think you need to hit "e" (for edit mode).... and then use the arrow keys to cursor around until you see "quiet" and "splash". Insert the word "nomodeset" in between them (no quotes, just spaces as needed). That's a possible fix, but there are other "tricks" in the GRUB world too.

Ok thanks, back soon..

I found "quiet" and "splash" and inserted nomodeset, but that didn't cure anything.

Big stretch here... hoping not to sound arrogant, because I'm still taking baby steps, but I can't get it out of my head that Gparted reports that the formatted drive with linux is /sda1, not /sda, yet the free space is listed as /sda. And since the errors indicate that it's searching for the root device, is it possible that somehow Linux is looking for the OS on /sda when it's really on /sda1?

I found "quiet" and "splash" and inserted nomodeset, but that didn't cure anything.

Big stretch here... hoping not to sound arrogant, because I'm still taking baby steps, but I can't get it out of my head that Gparted reports that the formatted drive with linux is /sda1, not /sda, yet the free space is listed as /sda. And since the errors indicate that it's searching for the root device, is it possible that somehow Linux is looking for the OS on /sda when it's really on /sda1?

No, that's okay.... question me anytime, about anything. I can make mistakes. But, I don't think so this time. Take a few minutes to play with Gparted and experiment.... also good learning opportunity! Right-click on /dev/sda1, the big partition, and resize it. Make it smaller (of course). You should then have more free space be joined to that small chunk. Then, right-click on the free space and make a new partition... NTFS, or FAT32, or ext4, doesn't matter.... but don't use the maximum available to you, split the difference roughly (no need for precision). You will see that you create /dev/sda2, and the remaining free space is just /sda (no number because no partition is created). That isn't where the bootloader is stored.

I'm assuming an older computer, from stuff we've covered so far. By "older" I mean that it is old-style BIOS firmware (called CMOS if you go way back). The new thing that replaced BIOS is called UEFI (though it is still referred to as BIOS too). It gets confusing sometimes. So, the short lesson is that the bootloader on older BIOS systems is stored in a special space on the hard drive called MBR (Master Boot Record). And you don't see MBR as a partition. (On UEFI, you do see a partition is needed and visible).

Want to experiment now with Gparted a little? All you want to really.... if you're going to install Mate next you will then overwrite everything that you do while playing now. :D

Speaking of BIOS though.... there are occasionally some things there that can cause hiccups. More likely with UEFI than BIOS though. Can you recall every tweaking any settings in your BIOS (other than changing boot order)? Sometimes when pulling one's hair out, a wild-stab-in-the-dark option is to reset the BIOS to factory defaults.... a simple setting in the BIOS configurations, and then you have to save the change and exit. I don't think there is much chance of breaking anything on old style BIOS systems, but of course some things might behave differently.... like boot order. You can poke around in the BIOS settings... there aren't a whole lot of options really.... see if anything there strikes you as weird. Reset to defaults if you want to, or not. UEFI is more touchy.... we don't even want to go there unless you discover that you actually have it!

Experimenting with Gparted is a good step towards setting up several different Linux distros on this same hard drive later on. But Wizard should be the one to teach you that subject. He as two computers, and each one has about 30-35 different partitions, each with its own Linux distro. It's pretty incredible, and he's the only one I know who has done such a thing!

But you don't have to use Gparted. Maybe it's easier for you, or maybe not. You can also created new partitions from the Linux installer with each new distro that you want to put on, at least if you're aren't trying to beat the Wizard. The built in installer might be more difficult as you add more and more to the mix, and there are many different installers used by the various distros.... so you have to be able to recognize the tasks and still follow the right steps when in a different installer environment. Lots o' fun! :eek::D

Speaking of BIOS though.... there are occasionally some things there that can cause hiccups. More likely with UEFI than BIOS though. Can you recall every tweaking any settings in your BIOS (other than changing boot order)? Sometimes when pulling one's hair out, a wild-stab-in-the-dark option is to reset the BIOS to factory defaults.... a simple setting in the BIOS configurations, and then you have to save the change and exit. I don't think there is much chance of breaking anything on old style BIOS systems, but of course some things might behave differently.... like boot order. You can poke around in the BIOS settings... there aren't a whole lot of options really.... see if anything there strikes you as weird. Reset to defaults if you want to, or not. UEFI is more touchy.... we don't even want to go there unless you discover that you actually have it!

I'm playing with Gparted now, resizing /sda1. I haven't changed anything in my BIOS except boot order, but I'll look around in there later. UEFI is a new word to me, since I've started learning Linux.

Do you think MATE will work better with my 2009 AMI BIOS?

I'm playing with Gparted now, resizing /sda1. I haven't changed anything in my BIOS except boot order, but I'll look around in there later. UEFI is a new word to me, since I've started learning Linux.

Do you think MATE will work better with my 2009 AMI BIOS?

I would try MATE, but I am biased... it's what I use too, and I'm on an older desktop, about the same age as yours. I don't like situations where you have to "fix things" just to make it boot.... something is up with Cinnamon. We might can pinpoint it and fix it, but we might struggle. And what if you want to reinstall it later, like a year from now.... and you might forget the fix! I'm really partial to booting the DVD/USB, installing Linux with default settings, and having everything work, at least at the basic level. It is more often the wireless that needs fixing after an install, but even those have become better.

I want you to have a working Linux! You could try Linux Lite too... it is another favorite of mine that was once my primary system for awhile.

But you certainly are not wasting your time in learning Gparted. It is a powerful tool and you want to be comfortable with it.

Members online

Latest posts