Newbie here. Frustrated, scared as hell of the terminal command stuff, afraid of losing my "stuff" if I have to use that to install an upgraded os

I took everything off of my desktop and put it onto the flash drive, still had plenty of room for etching the new os onto the flash drive.

@heretical_1 in my post #9 I adviced you to
Save your important data somewhere safe
and obviously saving it into the same drive you were gonna use to burn Zorin wasn't the safest place. Calm down, been there and saved most of my stuff, yes, most of it ... not all of it :( However, that taught me to be more cautious and now I made regular backups; to my external drive and to the cloud https://mega.nz/start Looks like you lost around 30gb of data? I lost around 200-300gb last year when accidentally using dd - which I avoid to use as much as I can - formatted my USB HDD with 800GB of data, luckily for me as soon as I realized my mistake I stopped the process by unplugin the HDD but the damage was done only not completely and all of my stuff was there, with some tools I was able to recover most of it but lost some pictures I really liked from my time at the University :( they're lost, forever. I just moved on and have been trying to be more cautious with that kind of stuff and so should you my friend :) cheer up man! Life's made of those moments; the mistakes we make so we can grow as the best version of ourselves! :)

I had no idea that "burning" a flash drive would take the entire stick and could not be used for more than one thing when doing that. I do remember that used to be a problem with cd's, and then that got solved so that somehow cd's these days can be added to after they have been used, and that was a long tie ago. No idea now if it was just a change in hardware, software, or both. Once a flash drive has been formatted, though, there is no recovery. It was only a half dozen gig or less, but it was the most important stuff, my photos, my legacy. That won't be happening again, not because I have learned the lesson, but because I will never update stuff again and have no way of rebuilding that legacy. Just tired of working so hard for nothing, calling it quits.

I had no idea that "burning" a flash drive would take the entire stick and could not be used for more than one thing when doing that.

You should have received some warning message like this process will destroy all the data in the device didn't you? Well, I just checked for myself and turns out etcher doesn't trigger any warning whatsoever which I think it should. I'm going to write a request asking to include that feature on their git page; a warning message that every piece data in the device will be lost. Done! https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/3049

Thank you. I certainly would have heeded such a warning, just as I did heed the warning about the new os wiping the whole computer (but just not knowing how to save the firefox stuff).
Trying now to do basic customization of the os to at least make it tolerable to work with before trying to get some more sleep and then finishing that part.

Members online