Newbie here. Frustrated, scared as hell of the terminal command stuff, afraid of losing my "stuff" if I have to use that to install an upgraded os

yes, from the zorin that I am trying to "fix"

Ok. If you download the zip in your downloads folder then move it to your home directory and try one of these two things:
1. right-click on it and see if there's an option in the context menu for extracting the file, if there's not any then
2. Open a terminal and type
Code:
unzip etcher.zip
change the name for the actual file name.

Etcher for Linux is an appimage, a self run app which doesnt need to be installed. Once unzipped, you'll see the file named something like balenaEtcher-1.5.53-x64.AppImage right-click on it and select properties, in the properties window that pops up, look for something that reads like make this file executable or run this file as a program whatever that option's called is just about making the file executable, so you can use it. Once you do that run etcher either by doble-clicking on it, select it and hit enter or select it right-click on it and from the context menu select run which should be the first option.

Last edited:
ok, I extracted it, and a new file was created by doing so, "balenaEtcher-1.5.73-x64.AppImage". That one opened! Having to move the new zorin file off of the usb now so that it isn't conflicting. Looks like moving it to the home folder made a difference.

it is "flashing", looks like it will take a few minutes. From what I read of the tutorials you directed me to, it appears that when all is ready all I need to do is turn off the puter and restart it, maybe have to hit f12 or something like that to get it to work. You have no idea how grateful I am for the non-judgmental help!

ok, I extracted it, and a new file was created by doing so, "balenaEtcher-1.5.73-x64.AppImage". That one opened! Having to move the new zorin file off of the usb now so that it isn't conflicting. Looks like moving it to the home folder made a difference.

Great! You're closer than you think :) just a few more steps for you to enjoy your new OS. Use etcher to burn the Zorin ISO to the USB drive.

it is "flashing", looks like it will take a few minutes. From what I read of the tutorials you directed me to, it appears that when all is ready all I need to do is turn off the puter and restart it, maybe have to hit f12 or something like that to get it to work. You have no idea how grateful I am for the non-judgmental help!

Once the Live USB is created, reboot your pc and when it starts hit F12 or ESC to enter the BIOS settings, in any case pay attention cause some systems give you a hint as to what key does that with a message that appears at the bottom of the screen, once in the bios settings you'll have to find the boot order settings and change it so it points to boot from the USB rather than the internal hard disk. No problem, glad to help! :)

It worked. And now I know why I hate programmers as much as I hate lawyers. I saved everything, but have no clue how to save my firefox bookmarks and passwords. Lost everything on there, years worth of work finding those sites and marking them, all of my social media. Gone forever. It is almost enough to make me want to kill myself. Shit.

It worked. And now I know why I hate programmers as much as I hate lawyers. I saved everything, but have no clue how to save my firefox bookmarks and passwords. Lost everything on there, years worth of work finding those sites and marking them, all of my social media. Gone forever. It is almost enough to make me want to kill myself. Shit.

Did you install Zorin already? If you haven't you could still save your bookmarks and all of your firefox info.

it is installled. I am permanently screwed because some asshole on the Telegram site decided to not make their changes backward compatible with my old zorin system and because I am too dumb to be computer literate enough to know how to save that stuff. Or alternatively, because the programmers of Zorin made it so I had to download a whole new os instead of just updating the old one. People just don't realize how much damage they cause when they do that crap.

Last edited:
it is installled. I am permanently screwed because some asshole on the Telegram site decided to not make their changes backward compatible with my old zorin system and because I am too dumb to be computer literate enough to know how to save that stuff. Or alternatively, because the programmers of Zorin made it so I had to download a whole new os instead of just updating the old one. People just don't realize how much damage they cause when they do that crap.
Oh well that sucks. But if you have a firefox account you can still recover some if not most of your info, do you have one? Your Zorin OS was too old, it had even reached its end of life and that kind of things is beyond users control so there's nothing we can do about it. Now, your new Zorin is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which means it'll be supported for quite some time, 3 years at the very least. Don't take it on the people who dedicate their time to learn and create the software you use and enjoy completely for free. Take it as a learning experience and take the time to learn how to save your firefox info so it doesn't happen the same again. Here's a couple of links I think you might find helpful
https://www.reallinuxuser.com/15-best-things-to-do-after-installing-zorin-os-15/
https://zoringroup.com/blog/
Visit, register and regularly check on Zorin's forum
https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

:)

thanks, but it doesn't matter any more. I can't replace years worth of work just because something is considered "obsolete". It's all gone forever now. I do appreciate the folks who work to make this free, but right now, I have nothing left. Obsolete. Not if it still works.

Are any of the old bookmarks on the XP rig? That could be a start.

Wizard

BTW, from #6

If you have any data you need to preserve....do that first. Save it to an external hard drive

... is where we could have helped better.

I may have some of the bookmarks and passwords on it, and the rest I will just have to rebuild or live without. Now that I've calmed down a bit, I apologize for taking my frustrations out on you guys. You did great, and I only have myself to blame for not finding out more about how to save the stuff that wasn't just right on the desktop where I save everything to make it easy to find.

That's OK Mate ... Brian (@Condobloke ) have made more mistakes and blown more things up than you have had hot dinners :)

Learning from it makes us better.

Cheers

Chris

omg...now I may really be farked. I took everything off of my desktop and put it onto the flash drive, still had plenty of room for etching the new os onto the flash drive. It is all gone. All of my work. Not just my bookmarks any more, but EVERYTHING.

You give up too easily.

How are you communicating with us now?

I took everything off of my desktop and put it onto the flash drive, still had plenty of room for etching the new os onto the flash drive.

You can't PUT anything else onto the USB stick you are going to use to burn the Linux .iso to - the .iso fills the stick completely. The .iso may be only 2.5 GB but it doesn't matter whether the stick is 4 GB 8 GB 16 GB 64 GB - the whole stick gets dedicated to the Linux burn.

You have done this before, but long ago, and forgotten it.

Please get some sleep and we can look at it later, with data recovery options.

And please stop posting in two posts - too confusing for us.

Stick with one only.

Thanks

Wizard

There is a manage bookmarks somewhere with option import and export.you can export your bookmarks to a HTML file.you save it on a usb .after any new is install you import it back.i think I,m a bit late but that is what you will do next time

You give up too easily.
More force needs he, i think

Last edited:

Members online