Newb Perspective - Linux Distro Hopping

DreamyAbaddon

Reaction score
Credits
I wanted to update everyone on my Linux experience.

I find it very hard to Distro hop.
I really enjoy the diversity of Linux OS distro and UI but I must say, I still have a preference. I don't know how people can easily distro hop. Don't you guys have a favorite distro that you just can't give up? For me, that's Elementary OS Juno. I'm simply married to that distro. I really love how it functions. Simple, Easy to use, and suits my everyday needs.

Please let me know how you guys distro hop and/or if you have a favorite distro you just keep going back to.

I haven't distro hopped for a number of years.
The last time I did any distro hopping was when Gnome 2 was prematurely replaced with Gnome 3. Which was far from complete at the time and just looked and felt terrible. I wasn't happy to have that foisted upon me.

After trying multiple distros with alternative DE's/WM's - I eventually discovered the joy of tiling WM's and went back to my beloved Debian testing - via the Debian minimal net-install - so I could avoid installing the abominable Gnome 3!

Since installing Debian testing with dwm - I haven't looked back!

I distro-hopped for who-knows-how-long, but settled on Manjaro. Like JasKinasis, I don't like Gnome 3, so I ended up with the MATE desktop. However, Manjaro with Openbox is nice too and VERY fast! For the P4 that I have, I run MX-Linux on it and I enjoy the responsiveness of that distro (and it's built on Debian, only they managed to pry systemd out of it.

I've used quite a few different Linux Distros and they all work well on my old desktops.

From the system resource hungry mainstream flagships to the small footprint lightweight Linux Distros.

The only differences I found were resource usage and user interface and one Linux Distro wasn't any better than another Linux Distro.

I can find something wrong with every Linux Distro I've tried or I've used or I'm using now.

Certain Linux Distros work better with certain computers and their hardware and the trick is to match the Linux Distro to the computer and hardware it is going to be installed on and used on.

I install and use OOTB and add very little extras and very rarely have any problems.

I can adapt to any OS environment rather it be Android or Apple or Chrome Book or Linux or Windows they all work for what I need to do and they all collect personal information.

I wanted to update everyone on my Linux experience.

I find it very hard to Distro hop.
I really enjoy the diversity of Linux OS distro and UI but I must say, I still have a preference. I don't know how people can easily distro hop. Don't you guys have a favorite distro that you just can't give up? For me, that's Elementary OS Juno. I'm simply married to that distro. I really love how it functions. Simple, Easy to use, and suits my everyday needs.

Please let me know how you guys distro hop and/or if you have a favorite distro you just keep going back to.

In the end we all steer to a particular distro. I keep coming back to Ubuntu Mate, which will probably stay on the PC for six months, then I will try something else.

You mentioned Elementary Linux, I tried that a few years ago, so that's something I might try again. That's the beauty of Linux.

Most of my files are also on external drive, so it's easy to move. A new Linux install usually only takes me about an hour, with the all things I want installed.

When I first started using Linux I was swapping distros every couple of days.

Wow! Thanks for sharing everyone! It's always interesting reading other people's stories on their experience. I'm not really that techy. But I do find Linux to be very user-friendly for older people and children who are new to computers. I love the different flavors too but yeah I've always come back to Elementary OS. The only thing I dislike about Elementary OS is the Windows buttons placement so I change it to look more like Mac. Oh and I use the Software Center (Not the built-in App Store) for easy access to more easy-install of more applications because I'm lazy and prefer not to use terminal. But yeah it's really my favorite distro so far.
Screenshot from 2019-05-13 01-22-42.png

My 2 cents FWIW

I've put Likes on all of the above because I find elements in each Post I agree with or have in common.

I am not exactly a Hopper in terms of replacing one for another, but simply add and add and add to my multibooting experience and environment.

A part of it is because I have been helping with Linux for 5 years, and by having a large number of Distros in my stable, I can provide current information to others on troubleshooting &c.

A part of it is because I have maybe 16 TB or more of space in my household, so what the heck? Try another Linux. :p

My secondary rig has about 50 Linux on it, and with only 8GB is getting a bit slow. This one, with 16 GB RAM, has about 40 and swings along nicely.

Nice Thread, Dreamy :cool:

Wiz

Can't say that I have a favorite Linux Distro although I prefer the Debian based / built Linux Distros as Debian although doesn't have the latest software in its repositories it's bug free and stable in my experience.

The mainstream Linux Distros most users use are Debian and Ubuntu based / built and for the most are stable and easy to use and provide excellent security.

I've always had excellent results using Ubuntu LTS Linux Distros and Ubuntu derivatives.
I've always had excellent results using Debian Linux Distros and Debian derivatives.

Linux Distros
I use installed on separate desktops.

Ubuntu / Debian based / built.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Peppermint 9.
Peppermint 10.

Debian based / built.

LMDE 3 Cindy.
Antix 17.4.1 Helen Keller.

Members online