New Users: Can't PM or post links until you have 5 posts.

R

Rob

Hello,

Just wanted to let new users know that we have it set up so that you can not post links or private message anyone until you have made 5 posts. This is to curb spammers.

Thanks!
Rob

The filter for urls is a bit off. When I was trying to post my "useful commands for apache logs" post the filter was triggered by "/path/to/log"

5 posts it even lower than some other forums. Maybe you should also consider limiting the posts who can also add signatures. Probably just about 10 posts so those users who have 10 posts+ can add signatures.

These rules are ok. Anyway, if someone, like me, writing a long post and previewing it loose everything edited only because the limit announce page lacks of a "return to post" command or link is a bad thing. Rob, can you fix this please? :rolleyes:

What most spammers do right off the bat is put links in their sigs - I did have sig links turned off also for the first 5 posts but they'd still sign up and at that point I couldn't tell if they were spammers or not :)

5 posts it even lower than some other forums. Maybe you should also consider limiting the posts who can also add signatures. Probably just about 10 posts so those users who have 10 posts+ can add signatures.

Hey - welcome to the site!

I'm not sure what you're looking for .. could you explain it a little more in detail?

These rules are ok. Anyway, if someone, like me, writing a long post and previewing it loose everything edited only because the limit announce page lacks of a "return to post" command or link is a bad thing. Rob, can you fix this please? :rolleyes:

1 is too low in my opinion, 5 was the best option I believe, nonetheless, good update. Spam bots seem to be on the rise nowadays so it's important to make this change.

Haha, even though it says Administrator I am forced to wait till I hit 5....I think this should bring me up to par.

EDIT:

Yup, that got it!

I've just lowered this down to 1 ...

Why 1? I would have thought raising it to 10 would be fine. I mean this will give the new members a bit of an incentive to be active. Also should give the mods a chance to weed out spammers. It's easier to keep a closer eye on the new members with less than 10 posts.

Thanks for sharing! I actually wasn't aware of that until I tried PMing someone that helped me out during the early stages of joining this site. Now that I have a lot more than 5 posts, I can easily PM whomever I would like. I appreciate the support!

Hey.

This doesn't really help us to stop spammers, you should rise up the limit for 10 or more, then spammers get bored and they go oway. That's only a suggestion.

This is actually a good thing. This will prevent users from signing up and spamming people with PMs and links to other sites right off the bat. It will require them to do a little work first and if their posts aren't good and they aren't here for the community you'll know right away and be able to ban them accordingly before they can even PM anyone with spam. :D

Are there any rules to changing your avatar before you get a certain amount of posts? As I said in my introductory post, I am unsure why the system will not let me add an avatar. No matter what file type I put it keeps saying invalid file. I would imagine it would say "You need more posts to do that" if this was the case but I am just trying to make sure.

Are you using these plugins?

Grab an API key from stopforumspam.com and the plugin
URL limiter
No More Proxy

Also I found a little trick that stops spammers in their tracks at registration - try adding an adbrite full page script to the registration page - as it breaks to the advert the spambots get all hot and flustered and cannot register so move on or get stuck in a cycle.

All these I have found to cut out 99% of spam - you get the occasional smartass human who will make a few posts on your limiter but they are so easy to spot - broken email addy's such as [email protected] so you can just quickie delete their ass's :)

Hey Snrm,

Give it another shot now.. i raised the weight limit..

Are there any rules to changing your avatar before you get a certain amount of posts? As I said in my introductory post, I am unsure why the system will not let me add an avatar. No matter what file type I put it keeps saying invalid file. I would imagine it would say "You need more posts to do that" if this was the case but I am just trying to make sure.

Darwin,

Yep - we have the stopforumspam plugin - sent someone there this morning btw that got through ;) That, and the keycaptcha seem to stop most of the bots..

We are still using the plugin for PMs/links also. I'm usually finding the spammers like to load up their sig and their 'homepage'.. so a search through the db finds probably 95% of them..

Members online

Latest posts