New user

ImNotARobot

Reaction score
Credits
>16.04 LTS vs 17.10??? I have 16.04 LTS installed. Will switch to 17.10 if recommended.
>First week of using ubuntu, all good so far:)
>What is a good way to learn how to use the terminal? I plan to use the it as much as possible. Where Should I begin?
Also how do i check if my Nvidia gpu is installed and working

Screenshot from 2018-04-09 22-55-44.png

Last edited:

16.04 LTS vs 17.10??? I have 16.04 LTS installed. Will switch to 17.10 if recommended.
Hi @ImNotARobot, and welcome. At this point, I would continue with 16.04 for just a little over 2 more weeks, and then a new Ubuntu LTS 18.04 will be released, and then upgrade to that. There will be some differences, of course, and a major one will be the switch from the Unity desktop to Gnome, but it will still have some familiarity with Unity, I think.

What is a good way to learn how to use the terminal?
The best way to learn anything is simply by doing it. Use the terminal as much as you can. Learn to use the MAN pages to help show you the many options that the commands offer you. Try to Google for "Linux command cheat sheet" and it will provide many short lists of common commands... but you have to use them to learn them. There are full books/ebooks with outrageous numbers of Linux commands, but you won't really have a need for all that. Also Google for "Linux command line training" and see what turns up... there are lots of sites that can help get you started. Here is one.

Your screen shot does not indicate that you are using the Nvidia GPU. You may need to download and install a Linux driver from Nvidia to make it work.

Cheers

Learning to use the terminal is much easier nowadays because there are a lot of good online courses and other information.

A quick google search will bring up a lot of options to learn from. The main thing though, is that you keeping working in the terminal, as @atanere mentioned.

We also provide some training for learning Linux. You can have a look at it here, if you want:
https://www.udemy.com/linux-switchblade/?couponCode=LINUX_10

Staff online

Members online