New User - Locating and installing Device Drivers in Debian-based Q4OS

Okay, here is both the successful use of screencap and the results of calling up Terminal and plugging in the command:

nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

If it's not legible, Terminal comes back with:

[ Directory 'etc/modprobe.d' is not writeable ]

Next step?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Terminal.jpg
    Terminal.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 317

@Tolkem Thanks for the tip on nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

This version of Q4OS / 32 bit is using a TRINITY desktop and "nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" cannot be found in the CLI , or, I should say that it opens a large blank space with a menu across the bottom.

The first text, which is highlighted, reads "Directory 'etc/modprobe.d' is not writable."

Below this text is a selection menu:
^G Get Help ^O Write Out ^W Where is ^K Cut Text ^J Justify (and so on)

Included in the menu is ^X for Exit.

Up-carat plus x, or plus X. or any combination of ALT, CTRL, Fn or SHIFT, nor x by itself nor X by itself, does anything to exit that menu, or even close the TERMINAL.

QUESTION #1:

What does ^X actually translate into in the form of key combinations?

QUESTION #2:

If the Debian driver package for the Linksys WPC564G-2 has been installed .....

==========================
dpkg --list | grep firmware-b43-installer
ii firmware-b43-installer 1:019-4
==========================

... what is the next step in un-blacklisting it, or, stated another way; How do I get this device and its driver to wake up and operate the PCMCIA WLAN card? (BTW it is Wireless G).

As always Thanks in advance.

========================
EDIT: AFTER LOADING PUPPY LINUX
========================

The PCMCIA WLAN card (Linksys WPC54G-2) was recognized upon boot process, network detected and logged in once password was entered. Indeed, this entry is made by the same Vaio machine running Puppy from a CD.

Prognosis: Lubuntu-based LXLE recognizes the hardware upon bootup, Linux Puppy, 32-bit, does too.

Unfortunately, Q4OS does not.

@Q4OSteam, can you address this please?

Last edited:
This version of Q4OS / 32 bit is using a TRINITY desktop and "nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" cannot be found in the CLI , or, I should say that it opens a large blank space with a menu across the bottom.

The first text, which is highlighted, reads "Directory 'etc/modprobe.d' is not writable."
@HAL_2000 That's the expected behaviour; in order to be able to write on that dir and/or modify the blacklist.conf you'd need to use sudo
Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
which in your particular case will have to be created since it isn't there. I told you to use nano without sudo just to avoid unwanted changes to the file but to confirm that it is there, which is not. Unfortunately, that's beyond my knowledge since I've never had to do that. Maybe someone here or bin on the Q4OS foum might help you with creating blacklist.conf with the write content for your hardware, specifically the wifi card. It shouldn't be that difficult though.

Prognosis: Lubuntu-based LXLE recognizes the hardware upon bootup, Linux Puppy, 32-bit, does too.

Unfortunately, Q4OS does not.

@Q4OSteam, can you address this please?
Well, if those ones work OOTB then I think you should pick one of them and stick to it which is
a lot way easier than fiddling around with configuration files and stuff. I'd say use LXLE since puppy can be a tricky one.

What does ^X actually translate into in the form of key combinations?

When editing or creating files with nano you use Ctrl + x to save that file. There are several combinations where "^" represents the modifier key, usually Ctrl or left Alt. Read here https://www.tecmint.com/learn-nano-text-editor-in-linux/ and here https://staffwww.fullcoll.edu/sedwards/Nano/IntroToNano.html to have a better understanding on nano.

How do I get this device and its driver to wake up and operate the PCMCIA WLAN card?

You might try loading the driver by using the "modprobe" command just as bin explained on your thread on the Q4OS' forum.

Last edited:

Members online