New user! Could use some tips, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickenguy2

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all, I've heard of the utterly rejuvenating properties of Linux and I have to say! I'm intrigued! I have one device in specific that I could use some help on though...

The device in question is a super old Vista :eek: machine. The device has a completely broken screen (it's hooked up to an external monitor though). does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get Linux installed somehow?

broken screen ===========> 20211016_115723[1].jpg
Plugged in to the display ====>20211016_115710[1].jpg (full images below)

20211016_115723[1].jpg

20211016_115710[1].jpg

Welcome @Chickenguy2

Looks like a 2002/2005 insperon if so have you tried to install any linux distro yet?
if my guess is right then it may only be a 32 bit machine with minimal ram also it may be pre usb booting [dose it have an optical drive? ]
please give full model number,

Bwiz

Welcome @Chickenguy2

Looks like a 2002/2005 insperon if so have you tried to install any linux distro yet?
if my guess is right then it may only be a 32 bit machine with minimal ram also it may be pre usb booting [dose it have an optical drive? ]
please give full model number,

Bwiz
My apologies! I have not tried installing any distro, this device was only recently given to me. The device does indeed have an optical drive! the model number is PP29L

-Chkn

ok its a bit newer than it looks aprox 2008 152* series
Intell core 2 duo processor 3gb ram
it will run all builds of linux [although swapping out the ram to take it to a board maximum of 4 gb would be better]
It should be USB bootable,
so what I suggest for now is you download one of the popular distributions [MX, Mint, Ubuntu etc] and give it a try, I would expect when you install to ram [live for testing] that a more comprehensive distribution will detect the second screen [he says sitting fingers crossed]

Bwiz

OK.. @Chickenguy2
just ran a test with my insperon [2010 model] I connected an old lcd screen and using a bootable usb with mint 19 on it [it was the closest to me] and booted it, as expected after a few seconds mint picked up the additional screen and it worked

quick lesson
do you have access to another working computer to make your bootable USB the
1, plug in the dell
2 insert usb into drive
3 switch on the dell and tickle F12 as it switches on [this should bring up the short boot menu]
look down the list and find usb click on it and enter, after a few seconds it should start to load to Ram, [you do not need a harddrive at this stage]
4,when it is loaded check everything works ok [wi-fi, sound, graphics] easyest way to do this is click on the wireless icon find your router and enter the password, when loaded go to your favorite music vidio site and pick something your familiar with, if it plays ok and the picture looks good you can then decide if you want to take a chance on installing.
5, double click the install button the iso will then check the components of your machine this may take several seconds to a couple of minuets, then provided the harddrive checked out ok it will start to install [if it fails at this stage the harddrive is probably shot]
watch it install when it asks about partitioning choose use complete disc, you will also be asked if you wish to install non-free/proprietary drivers tick the box for yes and enter
you will need to enter information as it installs so keep an eye on it, a typical linux installation can take from 10 to 20 minuets [far less than windows]
if it installs you will get a message do you wish to re-start now, accept
now sit back whilst it re-boots then it will take a couple more minets to clean up the installation and get rid of the install files,
then if all goes well we will have a working linux lappy
Sorry this is a long winded back to basics description but I am trying to cover as much as I can
n using Etcher or rufus download a linux distro and burn it as a bootable iso [4gb penrive will be big enough]
then follow the instructions

OK.. @Chickenguy2
just ran a test with my insperon [2010 model] I connected an old lcd screen and using a bootable usb with mint 19 on it [it was the closest to me] and booted it, as expected after a few seconds mint picked up the additional screen and it worked
sounds great! I'll try something out! :)

quick lesson
1, plug in the dell
2 insert usb into drive
3 switch on the dell and tickle F12 as it switches on [this should bring up the short boot menu]
look down the list and find usb click on it and enter, after a few seconds it should start to load to Ram, [you do not need a harddrive at this stage]
4,when it is loaded check everything works ok [wi-fi, sound, graphics] easyest way to do this is click on the wireless icon find your router and enter the password, when loaded go to your favorite music vidio site and pick something your familiar with, if it plays ok and the picture looks good you can then decide if you want to take a chance on installing.
5, double click the install button the iso will then check the components of your machine this may take several seconds to a couple of minuets, then provided the harddrive checked out ok it will start to install [if it fails at this stage the harddrive is probably shot]
watch it install when it asks about partitioning choose use complete disc, you will also be asked if you wish to install non-free/proprietary drivers tick the box for yes and enter
you will need to enter information as it installs so keep an eye on it, a typical linux installation can take from 10 to 20 minuets [far less than windows]
now sit back whilst it re-boots then it will take a couple more minets to clean up the installation and get rid of the install files,
Sorry this is a long winded back to basics description but I am trying to cover as much as I can
n using Etcher or rufus download a linux distro and burn it as a bootable iso [4gb penrive will be big enough]

Yes, I have a separate computer and a usb drive! This is all very exciting! I do have some experience with Rufus so I think I should use that! I deeply appreciate all the support!

quick lesson
1, plug in the dell
2 insert usb into drive
Stuck at the bootloader part I got a failed to boot message once I plugged in the bootable usb drive into the dell ;/ sorry for the trouble!

don't panic ....try testing the usb on the other machine to see if it boots on that one
which distribution did you download?

don't panic ....try testing the usb on the other machine to see if it boots on that one
which distribution did you download?
alright alright, since I figured it was a 32 bit system I downloaded a distro called Slax it seems pretty lightweight and good for old systems like this one :) I will now test it on the other machine to see if I did anything wrong. Update you soon! :)

32bit is rapidly dying away, most of the mainstream distributions have already or in the process of discontinuing, but i expect there will be support for a couple more years

Locking the Thread with a view to delete some time.

The OP is resigning.

Thanks to Helpers for your input.

Wiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online