New to the group

ToddAndMargo

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I am Todd. I am new to the group. I have posted a few questions already and very impressed at the extraordinary responses and the gentlemanly attitude of the responses. No "Quién es más macho?" you have to put up with on the newgroups. It is rather refreshing.

Bio: I am 64, have a bachelors degree in Electronic and Computer engineering, and have been doing on site computer consulting for small businesses for 25 years now. I support Linux, Mac, and that operating system whose name we shall not mention. My favorite programming language is Raku (Perl6), but I write in bash and various others at times too. "C" gives me a headache. I am a Linux shop myself, but will work on any computer. I have been involved in electronics since I was a kid.

Question: is there a way I can be emailed a list of new questions, so I can return the help I have been given? I figure help is offered here for free, so I should answer questions as well for free. What goes around comes around. I am not good about checking web site forums.

-T

Hello @ToddAndMargo and Welcome to the forums! We have got quite the friendly community here and glad you joined us! The only notifications I found is under account preferences but those aren't e-mail notification settings and I haven't found a way to subscripe to specifict forums topics to get notified that way, but you could try clicking on newsletter and then signing up there.

G'day @ToddAndMargo , Welcome to linux.org

Question: is there a way I can be emailed a list of new questions,
Yes. Click on 'Forums' at top of page......that will show the various sections....eg General Linux, Getting Started, Distribution Specific etc etc etc
I will use General Linux as an example
click on it....and then over to the right hand side there will be a box with the word 'WATCH' in it......click on that and you are then asked if you wish to receive new threads, or new messages....click on new threads......the below that will be an option to receive notifications via alerts or emails......click on your preference

There are quite a few sections......

You can 'fine tune' some of the settings by clicking on your user name at the top of any page and then selecting preferences.

Thanks for joining in.

G'day Todd, glad you found your way here.

We'll try to continue to behave in a gentlemanly fashion ... except when we behave like a bunch of schoolboys :)

We try to confine the latter to our Off Topic subforum, but sometimes we slip up. There is also my Rock Roxx (link in my signature), and classical

https://linux.org/threads/anyone-like-classical-music.26004/

if you are into music

Looking forward to your input

Chris

Yes. Click on 'Forums' at top of page......that will show the various sections....eg General Linux, Getting Started, Distribution Specific etc etc etc
I will use General Linux as an example
click on it....and then over to the right hand side there will be a box with the word 'WATCH' in it......click on that and you are then asked if you wish to receive new threads, or new messages....click on new threads......the below that will be an option to receive notifications via alerts or emails......click on your preference

I just put a watch on new post on the gener section. Thank you!

G'day Todd, glad you found your way here.

We'll try to continue to behave in a gentlemanly fashion ... except when we behave like a bunch of schoolboys :)

Newgroups are good in that you can talk uncensored. M$'s forums are crazy difficult to communicate with at times as they do not take to much criticism of their products. Newsgroup's downside is that you have to put up with a lot of jerks that troll you just to get a rise out of you. Kill filing is the only way to deal with them.

We try to confine the latter to our Off Topic subforum, but sometimes we slip up. There is also my Rock Roxx (link in my signature), and classical

https://linux.org/threads/anyone-like-classical-music.26004/

if you are into music

Looking forward to your input

Chris

I just posted over there! I am going to love listening to everyone's favorite selections! Thank you for the tip!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts