New to Linux

jaosn0923

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux having used Windows, MAC and chrome OS but now we have a Linux VM we are using as a print server. Ubuntu if that matters. I have it setup printers installed it all generall works but it seems to afterr a few hours stop working. I can login there doesn't appear to be anything maxig out resources but the CUPS Url says not responding if I open printers it'll either give me the spinning version of the hourglass and evetually popup with no printers installed. If I reboot it comes back and works for a while but I don't know how to determine what the issue is. Is there a linux version of the event logs that may point me towards a cause?

Something's I've found as far as functionality don't work as well in a VM.

Whatever printer the vm is communicating with it needs to be the exact machine's address.
In other words the URI has to be correct. And the ppd for the printer has to be correct as well.

ERROR LOG FILE FORMAT
The error_log file lists messages from the scheduler - errors, warnings, etc. The LogLevel
directive in the cupsd.conf(5) file controls which messages are logged:

Look in /var/log/cups

the CUPS Url says not responding if I open printers it'll either give me the spinning version of the hourglass and evetually popup with no printers installed. If I reboot it comes back and works for a while but I don't know how to determine what the issue is. Is there a linux version of the event logs that may point me towards a cause?
As Alexzee mentioned, see what info is in: /var/log/cups/error_log.

Since cups is saying no printers installed, you need to install the printer as root in the cups webpage, and it's useful to print off the testpage from the cups portal in a web browser at: http://localhost:631, clicking through: administration -> manage printers -> <select printer> -> maintenance -> print test page.

It's not uncommon for "not responding" to be caused by the job queue. One can check this by cancelling all jobs, power-cycle the printer and try again for a test page. To do this, bring up cups in a web browser with: http://localhost:631, then run through the menu: administration -> manage printers -> <select printer> -> maintenance -> cancel all jobs. Power-cycle the printer, try and print the test page. Sometimes a printer can choke on jobs and this procedure may fix it.

I can't say if the VM is implicated.

I'll second the suggestion for using CUPS directly through the web browser. Most distros seem to hide this base functionality behind a fancy GUI; I don't know why, because the CUPS web-page can manage your printer right the way through.....from installing the printer & drivers, through to complex settings & trouble-shooting when things go wrong.

Puppy has a tiny, very basic "Printers" GUI. All it does is to open

.....in your default web browser. We never see the point in duplicating stuff unnecessarily when there's no need. We ALL have a browser of some sort. Why re-invent the wheel?

Mike. ;)

The issue is it works for a while. For example this morning its stalled again and I found this log that just repeats Failed to start Cups scheduler over and over

Attachments

• Untitled document (7).pdf
    485 KB · Views: 160
I'm new to Linux having used Windows, MAC and chrome OS but now we have a Linux VM we are using as a print server. Ubuntu if that matters. I have it setup printers installed it all generall works but it seems to afterr a few hours stop working. I can login there doesn't appear to be anything maxig out resources but the CUPS Url says not responding if I open printers it'll either give me the spinning version of the hourglass and evetually popup with no printers installed. If I reboot it comes back and works for a while but I don't know how to determine what the issue is. Is there a linux version of the event logs that may point me towards a cause?
Hello @jaosn0923,
welcome to the Linux.org forum and Linux.
Is this a wifi printer? If so the problem maybe that the printer address is changing. And you should set the printer to a IP address outside the normal DHCP range say in the .200's. That will ensure that the printer address does not change from one moment to another.

OK, so this Linic VM is being used as a print server with many printers attached. The issue is with it stalling not any individual printer. See attached. It seems after a while the cups service stops and the command to srat it fails. As I said a reboot works for a while but I'd like to find a more permanent solution then conatntly having to reboot it.

Attachments

• Untitled document (8).pdf
    433.3 KB · Views: 178

Members online