New to Linux - Need Guidance

Might get this all figured out one of these days.

I'm 5 years older than ya, so when you do, willya lemme know? I'd like to share. :)

Chris

Well, got the ISO reinstalled, and tried to boot through BIOS. The only selection available for the usb drive is UEFI, and for some reason it does not like it. I was able to boot using F8 and going through Yumi's screen, after selecting the drive without UEFI. I will work on the commands later tonight, now that I know how to write the lines.

Here's a question for you. Had to get a new sound card, because the onboard sound on my board quit. I got an Asus Strix Soar, for a really good price. I like the software program that came with it, so I can customize the sound. What I'm wondering is whether I could get it to run on Linux (card does work, just needs better drivers). Asus does not have software specifically for Linux for that device. Would this be where I would use Wine? I don't know a lot about it, just that people use it to run WIndows programs on Linux. If that would work, maybe I could get other programs to work as well.

Just downloaded the latest Mint version on the flash drive, 19.1, right beside the other distro. Have done some reading on how to install to a separate drive (don't want to do anything to Win 7 drive, have two other drives I can work with for a separate install). Don't want to do anything more until I get the green light to do this.

G'day "Olds" - just clarify there, Mate - 1. so have you got two (2) sticks now, one with 19 and one with 19.1?

2. Did you end up going back into Unetbootin and using its Persistence feature with one of them? (not essential but would allow you to install a small amount of software, make notes you can keep on what works and what doesn't, &c)

3. Before we give you a green light, do you have an image, backup or recovery disk of/for your Windows 7?

4. Is the Mint Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce? (name of the .iso will reveal)

5. Let us know the size/capacity of the other drives, and whether they are powered just off USB, ie portable, or powered from mains socket and connected via USB.

Cheers

Wiz

Good morning (or afternoon)!

1. I have both distros side by side on the same stick, so there is a choice of versions. This proves to me that I can try multiple versions. I intend to install 19.1.

2. I started using Yumi installer, and yes I did set up persistent storage, on both versions. This has allowed me to make some changes through the terminal to things like getting the time set correctly, and to turn the lights on the keyboard on and off.

3. I have not made an image of the main drive yet. I can do that this afternoon, when I decide which drive to use (see below).

4. Version I am using is Cinnamon.

5. Here is a snapshot of my drives (Win 7 on Disk 0). All of them are 1 TB SATA internal drives. Just trying to decide which one to put the install on, and which one to use as backup.

upload_2018-12-23_8-58-34.png

Idea is to put Linux Mint on a totally separate drive, to avoid issues with Windows.

Thanks,

Olds

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-23_8-56-24.png
    upload_2018-12-23_8-56-24.png
    14 KB · Views: 581
Olds, sorry, saw #46 this morning but Christmas Eve here and busy :)

Good output, thanks.

With the WD other drive, can you right click on this spot

BPQlUKr.png

... and see if there is a choice to click for Properties, click it and tell us what it says?

Also, there is a file "setupact" in a folder Panther, I am quoting myself here, from another Thread -

With Windows 7, 8, and 10 you can get the answer through, in your File Explorer:

C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log

It may or may not have .log on the end, depending on how Explorer is set up. Assuming you have Administrative Privileges, open the file using Notepad and press Ctrl-F for Find and search for

Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment

It will either say EFI or BIOS , let us know which.

... to see if you are on UEFI or BIOS, you may already know the answers to these questions.

Cheers, and the Best for the Season

Chris

Ok, here's what I found. After right clicking properties, I got this information:

upload_2018-12-24_19-38-53.png

upload_2018-12-24_19-39-34.png

upload_2018-12-24_19-40-37.png

Rest is just information on the drivers and so on.

I found the file named Panther, and did the search for the line. Found this:

IBS Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: EFI

Looks like I am on EFI, but I'm sure what significance that has, sorry.

Merry Christmas!

Olds

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-24_19-40-11.png
    upload_2018-12-24_19-40-11.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 618
No that's legend, actually :)

And the top of The Season to you :D

Volumes is what I was looking for, they change it a little between Windows 7 and Windows 8/10.

When you get a chance, repeat that "Volumes" exercise with Disk 1 and Disk 2. I want to be able to provide you with choices appropriate to your configuration, even if that possibly means doing an about turn and using the Seagate. But all choices are yours, and we will not jeopardise Windows.

As things stand, things are looking good, and the world is your oyster for using Linux :)

The best, most efficient way for running a computer nowadays is under UEFI-GPT.

Your computer is not only capable of UEFI, it is running on it, that was the outcome of the Panther/setupact check.

I have to run for my evening, but will be back on Boxing Day.

Cheers

Chris

Here are the volumes for Disk 0, with Win 7:

upload_2018-12-25_8-30-44.png

Here's the one for disk 1:

upload_2018-12-25_8-31-43.png

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Olds

I've run into a major problem with my windows install. I have been trying to fix problems with my sound card, as in issues with static/garbled voice when using the mic. I replaced one card, after speaking with Asus, because it appeared to be defective. Got another, and it worked for a while, then the issue started again...arrrgh. The sound quality is fine, other than having issues when trying to talk, which is intermittent. Anyway, I had tried different drivers, to see if there was improvement, did an uninstall, and then the system crashed. Seems like there is a problem with the boot manager. I've tried to repair it, ran chkdsk, everything I can think of. Now stupid windows says the recovery portion of the disk is not compatible with my current version of windows! BS! I could access it before, but now it refuses to cooperate.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am now sending this to you through Linux Mint. I would like to know if I can copy/move my files to another drive using this operating system. I can see all the files, and have room on my drives for them, I just can't access the main drive through Windows.

If this is possible, I should be able to save all my files and do a reinstall. I am glad I have Mint, which is working great, BTW. Already have mail client set up, and it looks like I may be gradually transitioning to this, once I get Mint installed on one of my drives (probably the Western Digital, which is partitioned). I need to keep Win 7, at least until I can get this up and running. Going to do a test with some files on my external drive, and plug it into the laptop, which has windows 7.

Thanks for the help!

Olds

I've run into a major problem with my windows install. I have been trying to fix problems with my sound card, as in issues with static/garbled voice when using the mic. I replaced one card, after speaking with Asus, because it appeared to be defective. Got another, and it worked for a while, then the issue started again...arrrgh. The sound quality is fine, other than having issues when trying to talk, which is intermittent. Anyway, I had tried different drivers, to see if there was improvement, did an uninstall, and then the system crashed. Seems like there is a problem with the boot manager. I've tried to repair it, ran chkdsk, everything I can think of. Now stupid windows says the recovery portion of the disk is not compatible with my current version of windows! BS! I could access it before, but now it refuses to cooperate.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am now sending this to you through Linux Mint. I would like to know if I can copy/move my files to another drive using this operating system. I can see all the files, and have room on my drives for them, I just can't access the main drive through Windows.

If this is possible, I should be able to save all my files and do a reinstall. I am glad I have Mint, which is working great, BTW. Already have mail client set up, and it looks like I may be gradually transitioning to this, once I get Mint installed on one of my drives (probably the Western Digital, which is partitioned). I need to keep Win 7, at least until I can get this up and running. Going to do a test with some files on my external drive, and plug it into the laptop, which has windows 7.

Thanks for the help!

Olds
I move my files on my windoze drive all the time using Linux. No issues at all. Each of my desktop computers has a 4TB backup drive, in addition to my larger NAS drive.

BTW, how do you change the folder and other object colors? It would be nice to have something other than green.

BTW, how do you change the folder and other object colors? It would be nice to have something other than green.
I haven't messed with that too much, I kinda like the green, but all that is changeable in your settings and or under "Themes."

Hi! I got the reinstall of Windows 7 done, but the static/noise problem is still there. I have been through many steps to figure this out. I know this is a Linux forum, but I am having trouble figuring out why I am still getting that intermittent static noise when using my mic. Is it ok to ask for help on this problem here? It sounds like an electrical signal, and it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks,

Olds

Is Win 7 using onboard audio? If so, what drivers are you using? My computers all had the option of "Realtek or AC97." You might try finding out what the audio chipset is on your motherboard and download the proper Win 7 driver from the manufacturer.

I am no longer using onboard audio, as the onboard quit several weeks ago. That is when I went to the sound cards, and now I have this problem. I have disabled the HD audio, and have no other drivers installed other than the ones for the card.

Ok, going to post some information here on a test I did. Apologies if this is the wrong place for it, but I need to find an answer. I am in contact with Asus support, but that will take some time. Here goes.

I tried running Discord again today, to see if the problem would reoccur. It did after awhile, probably about an hour. Once it started, I unplugged the mic, and the problem went away. When it came back, I shut Discord down, started it back up, and it worked for a little while, then the problem happened again. The difference was that I had not unplugged the mic this time, and the problem went away. I also ran TS to see if it might be something to do with the keyboard. The problem happened first with Discord, without having to key the mic, so I don't think it has anything to do with the keyboard. I took an audio clip of the sound, which I have attached for you to listen to. You hear my normal voice, a delay (not reverb), then the distorted voice. I recorded these through the speakers, as I have no good way to record the headset sounds (see link below). Let me know if you have any problems with this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0jdq62cmzdphkj/Voice 006.m4a?dl=0

This sounds like an electrical issue, like an unfiltered signal. When I shut off Discord, and restart, it goes away, and then comes back. I also tested to see if it might affect regular audio, like a sound file on You Tube. It did not...it only affected the mic circuit.

At this point, could we be looking at a power supply issue? Seems like if it was the board, it would do it all the time. The board, however, does not send out a signal, only receives a signal from the power supply. Without that, it won't work.

I have not done a test on another slot, because it seems like we may be getting close to pinpointing the issue. I will look at that if needed.

Some things to keep in mind:

The OS and drivers are fresh
I have tested this with a different headset, no change.
I've tried two different cards, with the same results
It does not affect the playback sound of anything else, just what comes through the mic.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Olds

Members online