New To linux and the world of programming.

ImOverThere

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I'm new to the programming area and to the world of Linux. Microsoft ticked me off for the very last time. I'm starting this thread to pic your brains and learn as much as possible, from both those that have been using Linux from the beginning, and through research. I'm downloading Ubuntu today so hopefully that goes well.... In case you are wondering where i'm starting my programming off at, i'm starting with C then will move on from there. The compiler i'm using is Atom io.

Hi @ImOverThere, and welcome! Our brains have been pretty well picked over already, but we will do our best to help you along. :D

I'm not a programmer myself, but there are some folks on here that are quite talented. Ubuntu is a great choice for a first distro for its ease of installation and use, and it has many "flavors" available to provide different Desktop Environments (DE's) so that you're sure to find something you are comfortable with (in case you don't care for your first pick). The standard Ubuntu now uses the Gnome Desktop Environment... it appeals to many people with its more "modern" styling, but some people prefer a more traditional look on their desktop.

So let us know how your install went, and which Ubuntu you picked. Did all of your hardware work okay with Ubuntu... sound, wireless, etc? If you have specific issues or problems, please open up a new thread with an appropriate title for the problem... focusing individual problems on their own threads helps others to find such discussions when they have similar issues. Thanks!

Cheers

Hi @atanere , My install with Ubuntu went well till my dog distracted me and i completely forgot my password and had to start all over again...oops. I Installed Ubuntu 18 (I believe that's the regular one?) and I love the layout it has, since the install and removing windows from my computer. I must say there is a huge difference in performance and functionality. My current computer i have right now is a 3rd gen hp elitebook 8470p with 8gb ddr3-sdram and a wd blue 750 gb sata hard drive. My boot up time has significantly increased, it went from 15-25 seconds to well under 8 seconds. And as far as all my hardware working, it all works great. Haven't had any hiccups with it that I've noticed out of the norm.

But, this is not my only laptop I have. I have an older generation HP Pavilion dv4 that I'm gonna use as a test dummy to see if there is another flavor I prefer over the one I installed today. So I'm looking forward to that. I have a 2nd gen Acer aspire as well that I will be doing Ubuntu on as well. Is there a thread on downloading Ubuntu onto a tablet or a mobile version for such applications? I will be scrolling through the threads and searching to see if I can find a thread on it. Hopefully I will have obtained an answer here soon.

Cheers

Is there a thread on downloading Ubuntu onto a tablet or a mobile version for such applications?

The short answer to this question is no, not really. For awhile Ubuntu was developing a tablet/mobile version called Ubuntu Touch, but they discontinued it. It has been picked up by another group, UBports, but it is only supported on a very small selection of devices. I guess that there are too many differences between tablets/phones versus laptops/desktop to have much success... with one major factor being that on most tablets/phones you cannot unlock the factory-installed bootloader. For those that can, it's much more common to explore the possibilities with custom Android ROM's.

Glad your install went well... both of them! :eek::D I see your other post about printers too, so I'll comment separately there.

Cheers

Hello, I'm new to the programming area and to the world of Linux. Microsoft ticked me off for the very last time. I'm starting this thread to pic your brains and learn as much as possible, from both those that have been using Linux from the beginning, and through research. I'm downloading Ubuntu today so hopefully that goes well.... In case you are wondering where i'm starting my programming off at, i'm starting with C then will move on from there. The compiler i'm using is Atom io.
Welcome good sir!..... :3 Yes, I'm not surprised that Windows made you leave, well, Windows..... :) What made me switch to Linux, and the BSDs was, ultimately, curiosity..... :3 And THIS time, curiosity didn't kill the Cat!..... :3 YAYS!!..... :3 As for myself, I study a few Programming Languages..... Probably a bit too much..... :D But what can I say..... I obsess with MANY things, as I have Autism 'n stuff..... :3 It's very nice to meet you, and I hope you find your stay on this Website, and in Linux-land, amAZING..... :D Have a good day, ok.....? :3

Hi @blackneos940 thank you for the welcome into the Linux society. An update on the Acer aspire I did the install onto. I spoke too soon on it.... ooops o_O The acer is now lagged out and getting hot enough to cook my morning breakfast on it. cant use it for more than a few minutes.

Hi @blackneos940 thank you for the welcome into the Linux society. An update on the Acer aspire I did the install onto. I spoke too soon on it.... ooops o_O The acer is now lagged out and getting hot enough to cook my morning breakfast on it. cant use it for more than a few minutes.
Yeah, no problem!..... :3 ^^ Also, as far as your Acer goes..... How new is it.....? :3 Also, does it have fans on it, or is it like my ASUS X205TA, a fan-less small Laptop.....? My ASUS is a Laptop that wasn't exactly made to run well with Linux, which I got Lubuntu to work very well on..... :3 But, after some tweaks I found online, I got Linux to work on this bad boy!..... :3 Why I say this is because you may need to tweak some settings..... :) But it may ALSO be some dust in your fan..... :) Finally, did it do the same things on a Linux USB/DVD where you installed Linux from.....? :)

Staff online

Members online