New to Linux and I have a question.

PaulAllender

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everyone,

Im learning Linux and I have this question.
Is it possible for an end user to make good use of Linux without directly interacting with a text-mode shell?

I'm a little confused but I would have thought so.

Thanks.

Paul

Hello Paul and welcome to linux.org :)

There is no need to ask the same question at multiple forums as you have done at General Linux. We will see your Posts, and Staff will move a thread to an appropriate spot should they feel a need, and you will be notified courteously. ;)

Is it possible for an end user to make good use of Linux without directly interacting with a text-mode shell?

Yes, very much so.

WIZARD'S GLOSSARY

GUI - Graphical User Interface, a "Windows-like" point and click environment focused on the Desktop.

CLI - Command Line Interface aka Terminal, console, shell - a text-driven environment often featuring a black screen or window with white text, where commands are entered which communicate with your OS (Operating System) to achieve a desired result, often shown by textual output or responses.

For every GUI-based operation, there is a CLI-based equivalent, and relatively speaking, vice-versa.

I know of a couple of people very skilled in Linux whom maintain that they never use Terminal, or have not done so for x number of years. I can believe them.

Wizard

Hello Paul and welcome to linux.org :)

There is no need to ask the same question at multiple forums as you have done at General Linux. We will see your Posts, and Staff will move a thread to an appropriate spot should they feel a need, and you will be notified courteously. ;)

Yes, very much so.

WIZARD'S GLOSSARY

GUI - Graphical User Interface, a "Windows-like" point and click environment focused on the Desktop.

CLI - Command Line Interface aka Terminal, console, shell - a text-driven environment often featuring a black screen or window with white text, where commands are entered which communicate with your OS (Operating System) to achieve a desired result, often shown by textual output or responses.

For every GUI-based operation, there is a CLI-based equivalent, and relatively speaking, vice-versa.

I know of a couple of people very skilled in Linux whom maintain that they never use Terminal, or have not done so for x number of years. I can believe them.

Wizard
Thank for the reply Wizard and clearing that up for me. Sorry about the double post i didn't see the first one and assumed it didnt go through.

Hi Paul, and welcome! I deleted the other thread, so the conversation can continue here without confusion.

Wizard is right... you can probably run Linux without ever needing the terminal. But there are times when the terminal is actually the easiest way to accomplish something (usually just copy a command from a website and paste it into your own terminal). There is no need to memorize a bunch of terminal commands, but don't be afraid to use it... especially when more experienced people are guiding you. The terminal can be thought of as just another app, another tool, at your disposal.

Cheers

(usually just copy a command from a website and paste it into your own terminal)

If you have a 3 button mouse or a wheel mouse just highlight the text on a website, move your cursor into a Terminal and press the middle button or the wheel --- and the text will be magically pasted from the website. No typos. No spelling mistakes. No typing! ---If you only have a 2 button mouse you can do the same by pressing both buttons together

Members online