NEW TO GNU/Linux? WANT TO TRY IT? READ THIS SECOND

sp331yi

Reaction score
Credits
After seeing the same questions asked by newbies to Linux coming from Windows 2k or XP or Win7, a baseline HowTo seems to be in order. The authors at thefreecountry.com seem to have put together one I think is hard to top.

Free Linux Distributions

Enjoy!

This is mostly good, but a bit aged. I wonder when this web page was written?
Burn ISOs to DVDs? Does anyone really do that anymore?

Some of the distro's on the page don't exist anymore, and some of the 32-bit ones are discontinued now. (i.e. fedora).

This is mostly good, but a bit aged. I wonder when this web page was written?
Burn ISOs to DVDs? Does anyone really do that anymore?

People like me who prefer CDs and DVDs over USB thumb drives.

I've probably have 5000 unopened new in box CDs and DVDs that were tossed in the dumpster and I grabbed when I worked at the state department.

Old media ways are reliable and work well.

wonder when this web page was written?

Way down at the bottom of the page it says.

Copyright © 2007-2019 by Christopher Heng. All rights reserved.
thesitewizard™, thefreecountry™ and HowToHaven™ are trademarks of Christopher Heng.
This page was last updated on 29 January 2019.

I'm aged, too. Yes, it's my preferred method of install. Won't buy a machine without an optical drive unless said drive needs replacement and the machine is CHEAP! LOL

BTW -- I notified the author.

Last edited:
I'll buy build a machine w/o an optical drive, but if I have one already, I'll put it in. I also have USB floppy drives. Neither gets used much, but I need one or the other once in a great while. Installing distros? I won't go any other way than USB thumb drive. I have a drawer full of them.

Kinda old guy, here also, pushing 73. I don't want to burn up whatever time I have waiting on a CD/DVD deciding to start an install :p:p

Members online