---VOID---

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all!

I literally just started using Linux yesterday to revive an older laptop of mine and I purchased a new Crucial BX500 1TB solid state drive for it to make it run and boot more quickly. I managed to figure out how to format it in NTFS and partition it appropriately. I can NOT, however, figure out how to mount it. I have done everything though the terminal and am trying to learn it the right way. Here is the plan...

I have a 128Gb boot M.2 drive that I want to split in half and use half of it for a Linux mint installation and half of it for a Windows 10 installation. THEN I have this new 1TB drive that I want to format in NTFS so that both OSs can share storage on it. I think it is a pretty cool idea and would give me great practice! What do you think? How can I make this happen? Where can I START in terms of learning the basics of drive manipulation in Linux.

thank you!

VOID

What Motherboard are you using? Also can you mount it on windows? And it might be worth formatting it fat32 on windows and then try mounting it.
It is a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming). I am not sure WHAT random proprietary motherboard is inside of it. I guess I COULD mount it in windows but I don't think that will help me right now. There isn't even a window's installation in the machine yet. I want to be able to mount and set up the drive from inside the linux terminal. I simply can not figure this out though. I tried running sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/tyler and it just errors out. Not sure what to do. Also, I do not want it formatted in fat32 since the file size limit is so small. NTFS is a good standard file system and it can be written and read on both Linux AND windows.

It is a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming). I am not sure WHAT random proprietary motherboard is inside of it. I guess I COULD mount it in windows but I don't think that will help me right now. There isn't even a window's installation in the machine yet. I want to be able to mount and set up the drive from inside the linux terminal. I simply can not figure this out though. I tried running sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/tyler and it just errors out. Not sure what to do. Also, I do not want it formatted in fat32 since the file size limit is so small. NTFS is a good standard file system and it can be written and read on both Linux AND windows.
Run this command in terminal.
sudo dmidecode -t baseboard

Run this command in terminal.
1647454904782.png

This is the product of the command I was told to run. I decided I would just split the new drive into halves. One storage half for windows in ntfs and another half for linux in ext4 but it STILL WON'T MOUNT and I don't know why. This is driving me insane. You can see the errors in the top part of the image actually. I am really feeling like an idiot...

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :)
What Linux distro and desktop environment are you using? The command above seems legit, however, are you sure /dev/sdb1 is the right partition? Check that it is. First, identify the right partition you want to mount:
Code:
lsblk
This will list all the partitions in the disk. Output should be something like this:
Code:
lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 698,7G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   499M  0 part
├─sda2   8:2    0   100M  0 part
├─sda3   8:3    0    16M  0 part
├─sda4   8:4    0 649,2G  0 part /media/tolkem/10AA29EFAA29D250
└─sda5   8:5    0  48,8G  0 part
sdb      8:16   0 232,9G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   0   100M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sdb2   8:18   0   128M  0 part
├─sdb3   8:19   0 116,3G  0 part /media/tolkem/A2E26427E26401C1
├─sdb4   8:20   0  92,7G  0 part /
├─sdb5   8:21   0     4G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sdb6   8:22   0  19,7G  0 part
sdc      8:32   0   3,7G  0 disk
├─sdc1   8:33   0   1,8G  0 part
├─sdc2   8:34   0   3,5M  0 part
└─sdc3   8:35   0   1,9G  0 part
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
Note that /sda here is a USB disk. /sdb is where my systems are installed. /sdc is a flash drive. Partition /sdb3 has Windows 7 installed, and as you can see it is mounted in /media/tolkem/ So, once you make sure the partition you're attempting to mount is the correct, just run in a terminal:
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdX /destination
Replace X with the partition, and /destination with some valid path, i.e. /media/tyler. Also, if your laptop is UEFI, the /dev/sdb1 is probably(as you can see in my lsblk output)the EFI partition, which is already in use.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the forum! :)
What Linux distro and desktop environment are you using? The command above seems legit, however, are you sure /dev/sdb1 is the right partition? Check that it is. First, identify the right partition you want to mount:
Code:
lsblk
This will give list all the partitions. Output should be something like this:
Code:
lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 698,7G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   499M  0 part 
├─sda2   8:2    0   100M  0 part 
├─sda3   8:3    0    16M  0 part 
├─sda4   8:4    0 649,2G  0 part /media/tolkem/10AA29EFAA29D250
└─sda5   8:5    0  48,8G  0 part 
sdb      8:16   0 232,9G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0   100M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sdb2   8:18   0   128M  0 part 
├─sdb3   8:19   0 116,3G  0 part /media/tolkem/A2E26427E26401C1
├─sdb4   8:20   0  92,7G  0 part /
├─sdb5   8:21   0     4G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sdb6   8:22   0  19,7G  0 part 
sdc      8:32   0   3,7G  0 disk 
├─sdc1   8:33   0   1,8G  0 part 
├─sdc2   8:34   0   3,5M  0 part 
└─sdc3   8:35   0   1,9G  0 part 
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
Note that /sda here is a USB disk. /sdb is where my systems are installed. /sdc is a flash drive. Partition /sdb3 has Windows 7 installed, and as you can see it is mounted in /media/tolkem/ So, once you make sure the partition you're attempting to mount is the correct, just run in a terminal:
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdX /destination
Replace X with the partition, and /destination with some valid path, i.e. /media/tyler. Also, if your laptop is UEFI, the /dev/sdb1 is probably(as you can see in my lsblk output)the EFI partition, which is already in use.
https://linux.org/threads/new-ssd-and-new-to-linux.39620/

Threads have been merged.

Again, do not double post. Thanks.

Oh, so you're using Linux Mint, and the DE is ... Cinnamon? XFCE? Mate? I can't tell. Anyway, have you tried mounting the disk in the file manager? I use KDE Plasma and mount my disks in dolphin. I believe thunar, caja and whatever Cinnamon uses(nautilus?)have that option too, don't they? I remember from my days using XFCE that thunar was able to; just click and voilà!

Thank you all for your responses! I am back at my PC now and can answer some questions. I am using the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition. I am testing all of this on a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (The MoBo info of which is linked above in a terminal screenshot). I am very sure that sdb1 was the correct partition and such. I DID eventually get it to mount. I think I was trying to mount it in media but you can't...so I tried mounting it in /mnt and it took. So I learned that much. I believe that I may have been in over my head though and am worrying about something and maybe one of you can give me some closure. The drive that I have been doing this to is a 1TB Crucial BX500 SSD 2.5 and I was told that, due to the fact that I had run a FULL FORMAT on it and done so many do-overs with the partitions and the formatting and such that I may have killed it and exceeded its read/write limit. Could this be true? If it is then I am out 100 dollars and some dignity XD.

Thank you all for your responses! I am back at my PC now and can answer some questions. I am using the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition. I am testing all of this on a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (The MoBo info of which is linked above in a terminal screenshot). I am very sure that sdb1 was the correct partition and such. I DID eventually get it to mount. I think I was trying to mount it in media but you can't...so I tried mounting it in /mnt and it took. So I learned that much. I believe that I may have been in over my head though and am worrying about something and maybe one of you can give me some closure. The drive that I have been doing this to is a 1TB Crucial BX500 SSD 2.5 and I was told that, due to the fact that I had run a FULL FORMAT on it and done so many do-overs with the partitions and the formatting and such that I may have killed it and exceeded its read/write limit. Could this be true? If it is then I am out 100 dollars and some dignity XD.
Glad that you managed to solve it. Maybe, /media was already in used. Was any other disk/partition mounted there while you were trying to mount the other disk? I've seen this happening before, and learned as you just did, that in those cases mounting the disk/partition in /mnt always works. I'm not an expert by any means, but IMHO it seems unlikely that the SSD have already reached its life span, I mean, I'm still using an HDD in my laptop, and have done all kinds of stuff with it; install, reinstall OSes, resize, delete partitions, use different file systems; ext4 and btrfs ... and it's still working like a champ! And it's not new, it probably has 6-7 years of usage. So, I don't think that's the case. And in fact, according to this(assuming this is your SSD) https://www.crucial.com/ssd/bx500/ct1000bx500ssd1 It has a life span of 360 TB!

1647479991918.png

Staff online

Members online