New Peppermint OS

• Thread starter Deleted member 137406
  • Start date

Are you a fan of Peppermint?

I've played with it a few times in a VM. That's my only exposure to it.

Yes I've been a fan of Peppermint since Peppermint 7.

I like how the new Peppermint OS offers a base only to install and then you get to choose and install the software you want.

I installed the latest flavour on a spare drive a few weeks back, but not had much time to play with it
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

I note that it's based on Lubuntu, though I'm not sure how true that is really these days, as they've moved on to Xfce and we at Lubuntu (I'm on the Lubuntu team, like all official and whatnot) now use LXQt. We're also no longer focused on old computers and don't even publish minimum hardware requirements.

I'll have to spin it up in a VM again soon.

I do love a minimal install option. There's some talk about it with Lubuntu, but nothing has really been done with it, at least not anything ready for public consumption.

Since the loss of PCNetSpec many new changes have happened with Peppermint OS.

Moved away from Ubuntu base and closed down the old Peppermint forum which for now is a read only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I like Peppermint, like many other distro's, I've had a play with it but haven't used it as a daily driver.

I'll give the new version a spin on live USB and see how it goes. Xfce is my fave desktop so I'm glad to see they're running it in the new version.

@Bartman - welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Since the loss of PCNetSpec many new changes have happened with Peppermint OS.

That was Mark, right? For those in the Peppermint community, I understand that was quite a loss.

Yes It was quite a loss as PCNetSpec was Peppermint Linux.
The man went all out to help Peppermint users with their problems.

That was as I understood it to be. It's great that the distro lives on.

And, indeed, welcome aboard. I'm biased, but I think we have a pretty good crew here.

I note that it's based on Lubuntu, though I'm not sure how true that is really these days, as they've moved on to Xfce and we at Lubuntu (I'm on the Lubuntu team, like all official and whatnot) now use LXQt. We're also no longer focused on old computers and don't even publish minimum hardware requirements.
It's now based on Debian Stable.

It's now based on Debian Stable.

Yeah, I noticed that a bit later. The text that caught my eye was the first sentence: "Peppermint OS is a Lubuntu-based Linux distribution that aims to be lightning fast and easy on system resources."

Someone should tell Distrowatch to update their blurb. It correctly shows Debian in the other field.

I have it installed on a Dell Inspirion 11.5 inch duo Lap/Touchscreen and the touchscreen works with no issues outta the box.

The USB formatter that was installed which I see is now on MX Linux was the ONLY thing to recover a Windows Rescue USB HDD.
GParted didn't want anything to do with the drive. Would not mess with the partitions. But USB Formatter erased them and gave me back a 500GB drive. New PC and did not have a 32GB to spare. Then just for *&*% and giggles I tried to recover the drive.

It has been on that little thing for about 4 years. I use it to plug in HDMI to a wall mount TV and watch Ohio State Football. Using a USB sound hub instead of HDMI, better speakers than the TV.

I also have it on an Older Alienware and it just works. The wireless is dead but I just plug it in. Too lazy to replace the wireless M.2, can get one for about 20 bucks but nah.

I used Peppermint when it began (same time I began learning Linux on Jaunty Jackalope) in 2010.
After Lucid Lynx, I looked for something "better" IMO for my old Shuttle and settled on PeppermintOS. It outperformed lubuntu on old PCs, was more user-friendly and easily customizable for me at the time, as far as choosing pkgs went.

I have to say it is good to see the distro go with a Debian base rather than Mark Shuttleworth's best LTS.
It's also good to see Mark Greaves' legacy carry on!

ASIDE: too bad it's not non-systemd, as well.

Running latest on a Thinkpad T420 - pretty nice so far and stable.

I loooooved Peppermint 10. At the time, I considered it to be the very best os I had ever used. I wish I had found it earlier. I liked it because it was super fast and could do a minimum install. I wish every os came with minimum install.
I also wish Peppermint would come out with a "standard" installation like MX has. You can't just click "use the entire disk" with Peppermint for some reason. I don't usually have much trouble manually partitioning and I always manually partition but, to be honest, I would rather not. I do, however, dislike the Calamares installer. For a new user, just reading about partitioning on the peppermint forum makes your head spin. There is a post that tells you to partition not once but twice.

The new Peppermint will NOT install on either of my computers no matter what I do so have switched to Zorin which is working better than any os I have ever used but does not come even close to the speed of Peppermint. I had MX on one of them but now have Zorin on both 64 bit computers and Bodhi on my 32 bit.

When I purchase a new computer, I will likely try to install Peppermint again. I am guessing it is a hardware problem because many of the new distros will not install on either of my computers. Peppermint, Sparky, Debian, etc. etc. There are still several that will - Ubuntu, MX, Antix, etc.

I used Peppermint when it began (same time I began learning Linux on Jaunty Jackalope) in 2010.
After Lucid Lynx, I looked for something "better" IMO for my old Shuttle and settled on PeppermintOS. It outperformed lubuntu on old PCs, was more user-friendly and easily customizable for me at the time, as far as choosing pkgs went.

I have to say it is good to see the distro go with a Debian base rather than Mark Shuttleworth's best LTS.
It's also good to see Mark Greaves' legacy carry on!

ASIDE: too bad it's not non-systemd, as well.
I am a bit late to the party on this... We do have a devuan base in the pipeline....... it is testing but we are looking at a full release pretty soon....You guys are welcome read about the 32 bit here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/peppermintos/pepos/announcements/thread/1522885f90/

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts