New PC: 20.04 LTS does not load from Live-USB-stick - many error messages

Jay Lee

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody,

after many years I have now assembled a new PC, on which, as usual, a dual boot Windows10 (for playing) and Ubuntu (for working) is to be used.

The system consists of:

* Motherboard: MSI Mag Mortar B550M Wifi
* Graphics card: MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Super
* Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core

Windows10 could (of course) be installed without any major problems, but I'm currently desperate for Ubuntu.

I have already deactivated "Secure Boot" on the motherboard, as well as "fast boot" in Windows. The motherboard itself doesn't seem to have a fast boot option, so I couldn't disable anything there either. I made a Live-USB-stick with the 20.04 LTS, but as soon as I want to boot from it, there are many error messages and nothing works.

Here are the errors with activated onboard LAN:

P1010784kl.JPG

Here are the errors when I deactivate the onboard LAN:

P1010783kl.JPG

I have already created a new live USB stick with the Daily_Live_x64 version, but also not a success.Now I've been an enthusiastic Ubuntu user for many years, but as soon as it goes away from just using a working system and goes to the installation / hardware troubleshooting page, I'm helpless like a fish out of the water... so that I don't even have a clue what the errors could mean (I searched the internet but didn't really find anything ... but I'm also said to have no Google skills
icon_wink.gif
).

So ... do you have any suggestions on what else I should do here to install Ubuntu on my new computer?

Or is the motherboard just too new and I just have to be patient until there is a new Ubuntu version?

Thank you very much for your effort.

Looks like a graphics problem, though I've not seen such messages. nVidia graphics are the bane of some here.

When booting up, hit 'e' at first GRUB line and find the line within the code beginning with or referencing 'kernel,' go to it, hit <End> to go to end of the kernel line, add 'nomodeset' there and boot.

If not helpful, look at this link from help.ubuntu.com to see if its suggestions helps with your issue.

Hello,

we got a bingo.

After adding the suggested "nomodeset" ...

P1010787kl.JPG

... the error-codes still remain...

P1010791kl.JPG

but after some secs I did get a new screen:

P1010792kl.JPG

And I could do the installation.

But... for some reasons... after the reboot, I never get the grub and Windows starts automatically. I did install Ubuntu 2 times yet... strange...

But thank you so much for solving my main problem... now I have to check out the minar Grub-problem...

Did you install Ubuntu on a different disk then Windows, I'm guessing yes? Then try booting from the disk you installed Ubuntu on by selecting your boot device with whatever key your bios/uefi has for that or by going into your bios/uefi and switch the first boot device to the disk you installed Ubuntu on.

@Jay Lee -- at a terminal, enter the command
Code:
sudo update-grub
and see if it finds both ubuntu and windows. If so, reboot to be sure.

If still having problems, it's most likely you'll have to re-create the initrd image.
To do so, enter a terminal again and type in
Code:
uname -r
then
Code:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-latest.img $(uname -r)
where $(uname -r) enters the output of the first command.

Best wishes on your endeavor

Hi,

yes, the problem was the boot order... Win10 and Ubuntu share the same SSD... but for some reason, the uefi boot order was "windows" >> "ubuntu"... so I just had to switch it... now Grub is the first choice and so I have the choice yet...

Thx.
:)

But I have two "bonus" questions:

1. During the installation, I did get the message (from my Live-Stick) that 3 files were damaged... and this could cause some problems later... but after booting Ubuntu several times yet... and doing all available updates... still no error-messages...
  2. I had to (did) turn off the onboard-Lan-Chip (because of the error message "unknown Chip XID 641"... now, after the installation, I did turn it on... will Ubuntu install the drivers automatically, when available some days?

1. please enter the error messages recieved
2. drivers must be installed by User, AFAIK

Hi,

1. please enter the error messages recieved
2. drivers must be installed by User, AFAIK

I am sorry, I can't enter more than I have already written... it was just a short information, as far as I can remember after the installation of Ubuntu, when I had to do the reboot... it was just that information-text, that three files were damaged... no more information what files...

Did you verify your ISO download ?

HERE'S HOW

Last edited:
Hm... what do you mean with verify?! I did download the ISO direct from Canonical (ubuntu.com) and made the Live-Stick with UNetbootin.

Need to link the HERE'S HOW, Brian

Chris

G'day @Jay Lee and welcome :)

Brian and I are Aussies. He can explain about the verification process, it involves checking the .iso against an algorithm supplied by the developers.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi,

well.. I have done all steps from the provided link... but not all did work.

Code:
jpl@Tuxedo:~/Downloads$ gpg --keyid-format long --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg SHA256SUMS
gpg: Signatur vom Do 23 Apr 2020 15:46:21 CEST
gpg:                mittels RSA-Schlüssel D94AA3F0EFE21092
gpg: Signatur kann nicht geprüft werden: Kein öffentlicher Schlüssel

Yes, it is german... but as you can see, I did only get a RSA-key and not an additional DSA-key, like the provided link gave as example at step 4.

But continuing with just that RSA-key... finally, I got that message:

Code:
jpl@Tuxedo:~/Downloads$ sha256sum -c SHA256SUMS 2>&1 | grep OK
ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso: OK

tick.jpeg

How is Ubuntu performing ?

Until yet... it feels okay... but to be honest... I did not start installing the software I need for my daily work... just for the case, that I need to reinstall Ubuntu again.... because "dmesg" delivers some errors... but I have no idea yet, if they are "critical" and how to handle them.

Its a long file, but searching for "error" it will give you many hits...

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    187.5 KB · Views: 489
Just an FYI that that is 2,690 lines of output folks :p

Jay I have to head off for my evening here soon, but I will swing by tomorrow and see if I can be of use.

Cheers

Wiz

If it were mine....I would reinstall

not a huge job....better safe than sorry

Until yet... it feels okay... but to be honest... I did not start installing the software I need for my daily work... just for the case, that I need to reinstall Ubuntu again.... because "dmesg" delivers some errors... but I have no idea yet, if they are "critical" and how to handle them.

Its a long file, but searching for "error" it will give you many hits...

I don’t see any error messages in there as such.
dmesg is a log of messages logged by the kernel. To let you know about things that happened at boot time and decisions it made during boot. Not all of it is errors!

If you are having problems, the output logged in dmesg can help you to track down any serious problems.

It looks like you have the logs for two entire boot cycles there.
I don’t see anything to worry about in there though! But I am on my phone, so it was only a quick visual scan. Nothing rang any alarm bells.

I’ll grep through it on my laptop later to be certain.

There are some messages regarding “No TPM chip”, but that’s just a message, not an error.
AFAICT - That’s the kernel saying “There’s no TPM chip, so I’m not doing this, this and this....”.

So from a visual scan, it looks ok. But I’ll try to verify that later!

Last edited:
But... will this fix the errors?! I already did install Ubuntu twice... and both times I got the "3 files were damaged" message...